VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I'd like to ask you whether you have encountered the same bug (or whether it is just a matter of my system).

When capturing screenshots with Image Grabber II, the "System" process opens a lot of handles, but their number doesn't decrease afterwards, it stays at the same level even after closing Image Grabber II.

Image Grabber I doesn't exhibit (provoke?) this bug.

Since the system-wide limit of open handles is 2^16 (at least on Windows 2000), it simply forces you to reboot after several screen capture sessions.

I am running Windows 2000. Oh, and one last thing: installing SoftIce or a similar kernel debugger and a closer examination is out of question at the moment - hell, it is not even my machine (nor do I have Numege DriverStudio with me right now).

I wonder what the cause might be... Any ideas? Have you encountered it, too?
    Pierre-Joseph Proudhon: "Property is theft!"
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So... I have decided to bump this topic instead of just editing it...

The problem was apparently caused by the display driver. After installing the Catalyst 8.453 version (8.2 version, officially), the problem seems to have gone away. The 8.451.4 version (8.1 hotfix version, officially) was being used before, since it was necessary for the nForce2 mainboard. (I don't know if it also occurred with previous drivers, I simply didn't notice such a massive handle leak, but my guess is that it had occurred even before installing the 8.1 hotfix.)

//EDIT: No, nothing helped, not even the abovementioned update. :-(
    Pierre-Joseph Proudhon: "Property is theft!"
    Quote Quote