VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm running WXP Pro SP2 and my computer had 2GB of 800MHz PC 6400 DDR2 RAM w/ latency 5-5-5-12 RAM. The prices finally dropped and I added another 2GB of 800MHz PC 6400 DDR2 RAM. The new memory has latency 4-4-4-12. I'm wondering why when I right click on my computer and look at properties under the general tab it says only 3.25GB memory. I thought It would say 4GB of memory available. Is there some else that I need to do to make all of the memory available or did I buy bad memory?

Thx in advance,

VC
    This is so much fun!
    Quote Quote  
  2. That's normal (unfortunately). The only way to get the full 4GB is to use 64-bit Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

(Refers to Vista but applies to XP)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    That's normal (unfortunately). The only way to get the full 4GB is to use 64-bit Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

(Refers to Vista but applies to XP)
    Thanks for the sad news. I waited almost 15 months for this. I was going to brag to all of my buddies that I have 4GB of RAM. Oh well 3.25 ain't bad. Now I'm at least glad that I waited for it to be only $50. I suppose I don't really need the extra memory. I have had no blue screen memory dumps since I got this comp with 2GB RAM. I was just hoping to be able to keep a zillion apps open without having any problems.

Thanks for getting back to me,

VC
    This is so much fun!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    XP stops at 3.5GB.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All 32 bit OSs are limited to a little less than 4GB because there's not enough available memory locations in a 32 bit address for 4GB RAM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    XP stops at 3.5GB.
    Ok. what information could I give you to help me figure why mine stops at 3.5?

Thx,

VC
    This is so much fun!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After years of lurking a first post.

Thats normal. Windows has half a gig of ram space allocated for hardware. So 3.5 GB is the maximum usable ram and only 2 GB can be allocated for any one program.

Ethelred
    Quote Quote  
  8. that is a total waste of money, you'll never use more than 2Gb on XP no matter what.
    I can't max 2Gb on my 64 Vista ultimate and have like 20 programs open, from Flash professional to Visual Studio 2008

before you buy something, make sure you really need it.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lenti_75
    that is a total waste of money, you'll never use more than 2Gb on XP no matter what.
    I can't max 2Gb on my 64 Vista ultimate and have like 20 programs open, from Flash professional to Visual Studio 2008

Thanks. I feel even better now.
    This is so much fun!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can allocate some of the RAM for a Ramdrive, and stick your temp folder or browser cache on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i don't think a ramdrive will find the "missing ram", the addresses to the memory in that area is already used.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by videocheez
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    XP stops at 3.5GB.

Thx,

VC
    I presume you meant to ask why yours stopped at 3.25. You probably have 256K allocated to graphicss memory.

-drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by drjtech
    I presume you meant to ask why yours stopped at 3.25. You probably have 256K allocated to graphicss memory.

-drjtech
    Your presumption is correct.
    I have 512MB on my video card and the motherboard has a video adapter too. If the motherboard's on video memory is 256MB and I add the total video memory of my video card and the presumed 256MB of motherboard memory, that would be the total of my missing memory. Does this logic sound plausible?

Thx in advance,

VC
    This is so much fun!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lenti_75
    that is a total waste of money, you'll never use more than 2Gb on XP no matter what.

Ive maxed 2gb in XP SP2 using photoshop CS3 several times (well within the last 1-200mb, I didnt push on any further but assume that what we could called maxed?)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    All 32 bit OSs are limited to a little less than 4GB because there's not enough available memory locations in a 32 bit address for 4GB RAM.
    All WINDOWS 32bit are limited to 3.25G. My 32bit SuSE O.S. happily sees all my 4GB memory. Most 32bit Linux distros will support 4GB+ with a PAE kernel.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    True, some 32 bit OSs can use 'tricks' to go above that limit. But the problem is the 32 bit number system itself. The virtual address space is limited, by definition, to the size of a 32-bit value:

2(32) = 4,294,967,296 (Sorry, I can't seem to do the superscript notation for 2 to the 32nd power with my keyboard.)
    4,294,967,296 / (1,024 x 1,024) = 4,096 MB

Some Windows systems can apparently go up to or over the 4096 MB value also, but probably by assigning memory differently where it's not part of the 4096 MB address system.

One easy to read reference for Windows 32 bit OSs and memory limitations: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811.html

Windows PAE info: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366796(VS.85).aspx

Or more on Windows memory info: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx#memory_limits
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    2(32) = 4,294,967,296 (Sorry, I can't seem to do the superscript notation for 2 to the 32nd power with my keyboard.)
    I believe you use the ^ symbol for that (shift-6). Sorry, I've forgotten off the top of my head what it's called.

That would be 2^32=4,294,967,296.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by videocheez
    I have 512MB on my video card and the motherboard has a video adapter too. If the motherboard's on video memory is 256MB and I add the total video memory of my video card and the presumed 256MB of motherboard memory, that would be the total of my missing memory. Does this logic sound plausible?

Thx in advance,

VC
    If you are not using your onboard video adapter you may be able to reclaim the 256MB by disabling the adapter via your motherboard BIOS.

-drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote