VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My computer came with some DVD editing/authoring software.

A few days ago, I recorded THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL off AMC to a DVD using a stand-alone.

I then used that disc to drag'n'drop the movie into the computer, and took out all the commercials.

Worked fine. NICE results.

Tonight I tried to do the same thing with a disc recorded off of the FX channel's recent showing of FEVER PITCH.

I have a DVD recorded with all the commercials, and dragged the files off onto the hard drive.

When I tried to use one of the files in the editing/authoring software, it wouldn't let me. Kept getting a message that says "Failed to add video file."

I tried it again with another video file I have on the hard drive, and it came over fine.

Could FX have put some sort of copyguard on FEVER PITCH that AMC didn't put on THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL?

The latter was easy to edit. With Fever Pitch, I can't even get it into the program.

I'm still new to this stuff, so go easy on me...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would be nice to know what software you are trying to use.

Personally, I use Womble Mpeg Wizard or VideoRedo for mpeg editing, especially just editing out ads etc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Possibly a scratch on your disc causing errors.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  4. gastrof: I recommend Womble Mpeg Video Wizard for cutting out commercials and such. A wise thing to do as well when you are recording tv shows and movies is to go to the search page at imdb and look up the movie you are recording. I have found that AMC will edit out portions of a movie to make it fit in the time alotted. So you may not actually have the entire "The Day The Earth Stood Still". At IMDB you can find out the running time of the movie among other details and this can be very useful to those who record shows and edit them to archive to watch at some later time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using POWER PRODUCER 3. Don't know exactly which "sub-version" (if any), since it came pre-installed.

Now, tho', it gets weirder. The first three files making up the movie "took" just fine. It was only the 4th file (with the final half hour or so) that the software wouldn't take.

My stand alone recorder is the Philips DVDR3455H. The only thing I can figure is that when I removed the "other bits" that followed the movie (using the Philips own editing feature) before creating the disc, I somehow damaged the file?

The movie still plays fine on the hard drive and on any discs the machine creates, but I can't get that segment to be accepted by Power Producer.

I also tried sending it to Nero, and Nero also insists something's wrong with that segment.

Can this happen, where the file gets damaged and can't be used by editing software, but otherwise will still play fine?
    Quote Quote