VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I am trying to convert my hddvd/blueray titles to divx. I am having some problems, so I must be missing a step. Here is what I have done

Blue Ray

1. Rip blueray to harddrive using anydvd. Resulted files is .m2ts in the stream folder.
    2. using tsmuxer I convert and resulting file is .ts
    3. using dr divx resulting file is .divx

The resulting divx file quality is awesome however I do not get any audio. When running dr divx all of the audio streams are shaded (not selectable) I am thinking that the audio is not compatible with dr divx.

the goal of all of this is to be able to stream movies to my helios x5000. it supports the .ts stream but cannot do 1080p content as it is too high of a bitrate. it stutters and is unwatchable. when I converted to divx it was smooth and perfect however there was no audio. in addition. when playing .ts files that are either 1080i or 720p they play perfectly. MY guess is that 1080p is just a little to high bitrate for it to play.

Hddvd

Still have not worked on this one yet.

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1080p can certainly use a lower bit rate, but the lower the bit rate the worse the quality will be.

Both HD DVD and BluRay can use audio formats like Dolby TruHD and some DTS format that I have forgotten the name of that don't exist on DVD, so you will need special software for these. http://www.doom9.net in the forums has a BluRay/HD DVD forum and they talk about ways to convert these new high def audio formats to something like normal DTS or AC3, which Dr. Divx will surely be able to encode. It's also possible that with certain software programs like maybe the Halai (spelling?) Media Splitter and a few other things that you will be able to play these new high def audio formats and thus Dr. Divx can convert them.

Just out of curiosity, what bit rates have been too high for the x5000? I know about this player and am somewhat interested in it and I'd definitely like to know what it chokes on.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not sure exactly what the bitrate is. I had ripped the blue ray movie dinosaur. after converting from m2ts to ts it was about 16gb. I do not think this player has the power to do this ts. Do you know of any program that can convert the .ts file I currently have to a .ts file that is either 720p or lower bitrate? I am really new to this and have been doing some reading for the last week trying to get familiar with it knowing that when my player arrived I was going to be messing around in this.

after seeing the video (without audio) stream on my x5000 (looked awesome) and seeing that the file went from 16gb to 2gb. (I know when the audio gets in there it will be larger) this is a substantial space saver I may want to convert all my stuff to divx. But for right now I will settle for getting high def just streaming to my player.

Just looked it up. the x5000 does not support bit rates above 14mbps for video and 640kbps for audio. apparently it is a limitation in the processor.

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    720p and 1080i/p have nothing to do with bit rate. They are resolutions. The smaller to resolution, the lower the bit rate you need for good results. For example, obviously it would take a lower bit rate for a DVD to look good than a 1080p file. You can convert .ts files to lower resolutions and lower bit rates, but lowering the resolution is bets done with something like AviSynth. The forums at Doom9 should be useful to you for this. A lot of people encode 1080p BluRay or HD DVD to WMV there.

Thanks for the info on the limits. In my opinion those are not unreasonable limits at all.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so the fact that my other ts files are 1080i and 720p are lower bitrates because they have less information being that they are lower resolution allows them to be under the 14mbps and play correctly. so would the better way be to downconvert to 720p (prefered since it is the native resolution for my display) or to re encode to a lower bitrate and preserve the native resolution of the .ts file?

I will check out the link you gave. thanks for the info.

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I had some success with the blue ray movie Dinosaur. I am not sure if the other Blue Ray movies will be as easy, Here is what I did.

1. I ripped the movie with any dvd to hard disk. resulting file .m2ts

2. I them used tsMuxeR to make a .ts file out of the .m2ts file.

3. Used Dr. divx to make the .ts file a .divx file. full 1080p (I had to install the audio filters in Dr. divx that is what i was missing.)

The resulting .divx file played perfectly from beginning to end without even a glitch on my x5000 player. Final Files size now being 1080p and with audio was just at 3gb My hope is all blue ray movies will be this easy. I know there are some with some nasty seamless branching, I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Now to accomplish the same with hd-dvd though it may not even be worth the trouble seeing how the format war is going.

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Note that some of the newer BluRay titles like "The Simpsons Movie" and "Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End" use the new BD+ protection scheme. While these films can be ripped, the last I heard was that no one has had any luck converting them to other formats. The ripped files can be played from the hard drive, but that is all. There's something in the protection that is preventing them from being re-encoded after they are ripped.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmm. that is kind of discouraging. It seems that Any Dvd does not remove all of the encryption duing the ripp or they are using a new proprietary compression scheme that nobody has the codec for. Should be able to get it out of the player software if the player can play it. Well time will tell. Thanks for the heads up. I may have to give one of them a try just for S and G

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's unbelievable how many different things matter when talking about software functionality when deciding which software works best. CPU, memory, video card, etc. have a play in what works best for who.
    I have found an easy way to maybe help you with your problem. Why convert any m2ts file extension when you can view them just as easy as any of the other file extensions and not loose any quality? I have a slow laptop by today standards and learned that I can use the Media Player that is on my laptop to play these and more files if I go and download the proper codecs for my OS. It's free and plays the files perfectly. Also Media Player Classic 6.4.9.0 and higher supports m2ts files, go to http://www.free-codecs.com/Media_Player_Classic_download.htm . I have also found that for me, AVS4YOU is the cheapest and best quality converter if you find like myself, you wanna give these videos to friends who don't have blue ray player capability to view. Not 1080 but clean as a whistle and they can't view 1080 without HDMI connections anyhow. Hope this helps some
    I have a Canon HG20 that records in m2ts extension. If your CPU isn't fast enough, it probably won't even run the software.
    I'm about to buy a new desktop with the new i7 chip because rendering movies takes forever on my laptop. Any replies send to fatherson504@yahoo.com
    Quote Quote