VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My DVDs were copied with DVDFab Platinum 4, and then burned using DVDShrink3.2 The video and menus play fine on my computer, but when I try to play them on a standalone, the video plays the last 10 seconds of the movie, and some of the previews, but does not have any menus or chapters to access. I cannot access the main movie at all. I have tried 3 different standalones and they all have the same problem. I'm using Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, DVD Shrink does NOT burn.
    It uses either NERO or DVD Decrypter to burn.

Did you transcode (compress) the dvd with DVDFab Platinum 4 or DVD Shrink ??

If you used DVDFab Platinum 4 to rip why not just let it transcode it and the latest version will burn using ImgBurn.

I'm failing to understand why you would use two diff programs that pretty much do the same thing when DVDFab Platinum 4 will pretty much do it all ??

Either way i would use ImgBurn ti burn the resulting final files instead of going through DVD Shrink to burn with nero or DVD Decrypter.

Maybe you should lay out exactly what you did step for step.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the information.

I will expain what I did exactly step by step for you.

I opened up DVDFab and copied the full disk from the DVD to my HD. It created 5 different VOB files on my HD. The very first time I tried using DVDFab to burn the files by using the "Write Data" button to go from the files on the HD to the blank DVD but all it did was simply copy the 5 VOB files onto the DVD and didn't put together the whole movie.

That is why I used DVDShrink my subsequent times through. I created the VOB files through DVDFab the same way, but instead I next used DVDShrink. I used DVDShrink to open the folder with all my VOB files and clicked the Backup button to burn the files to the blank DVD.

Clearly I am new to this and thank you for your input. I will try ImgBurn and see if that gives me any better luck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have not mentioned the other important files like the IFO and its back up.
    These are very important for stand alones, they provide the navigation commands etc...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try using the latest version of DVDFab Decypter to RIP the DVD to the HDD. Then open the files in DVDShrink, use the full disc backup option, and then have it burn the disc image using Nero or have it create an ISO file and burn with ImgBurn.

You may also want to consider backing up the movie only to prevent/reduce quality loss. In which case, the menus are irrelevant.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. It continues to boggle my mind that people are futzing around with three and four programs and raw VOB/IFO files to perform what should be a simple disc backup? Myself, I've only ever used the CloneDVD/AnyDVD combination, one-click decrypt-rip-burn system. Had the free trial version for 30 days and found it so useful I bought it the day it expired. Nothing beats it for deleting junk you don't want (trailers, commentaries, etc.) while retaining full menu functionality and compatibility with standalone players. Some say its shrinking performance could be better, but since it can easily and seamlessly delete all the junk "extras" from a DVD prior to shrinking the main program I find I don't have to use much compression anyway. And its fast!

Granted there should always be multiple choices in the market, and I'd be all for the DVDshrink and Fab products assuming people enjoyed using them and found benefits in them. But apparently not: all I ever see on this forum are unhappy posts from people saying they need to juggle files and interact with their decryptors and then switch to Nero or ImgBurn and even then have problems. Puh-leeze! If I had go through all that each time, I'd go back to using VHS. Are these other backup softwares really THAT difficult to use? Yuck! Man, I wasn't happy at first that I had to pay about $60 for the CloneDVD/AnyDVD activation key, but the more I read about the alternatives the better I feel about my purchase.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Shrink is also a one click solution, however, you need to know what to click! All those that have problems are down to not bothering to find a guide that tells them how to do it. That's the main difference with bought software, you get a manual!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well since Orsetto never has seen anything positive. I've never had an issue using shrink, fab, or Imgburn. People who don't have problems don't have anything to ask questions about. I've never had to pay a penny to back up a DVD.

Now that's a happy post!

I did think of another possibility. You might be trying to back up a disk that is one of those difficult ones I read about on occasion. One thing to try is to hit the menu button to try to brink up the disk menu. Once you get that select the Scenes option on the movie. Often the stuff the maker puts onto the disk is there to prevent the copied files from ever getting to the menu and sometimes to prevent the movie from being played from teh menu. The Scenes option works every time on those. (twice for me, not my backup, ones a friend gave me to see) Its better to clear that crap out, but sometimes you can salvage a viewing. After that, either keep the disk or try backing it up again at a later date using your original.
    Nothing ticks off a wife more then a disk that won't play. Starts up that "Why can't we just play the blankety blank originals!" arguement.

Good luck you can find help on what a dvd file structure looks like if you do a little searching on google.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not try using just DVDShrink on it's own? I only resort to the two step method of using FabDecrypter and ripping to the hard drive if a disc cannot be dealt with by Shrink alone. This is only the very latest releases that have encryption later than Shrink.

Put your original in the drive, open Shrink and select the Open Disc option. If it takes around 1-2 minutes to analyse then it is going to work, if it can't deal with the encryption it will either say that it is going to take hours to analyse or will just stop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If DVDShrink will rip the DVD that would be ideal.

If not I'd try DVDFab then run FixVTS then run DVDShrink. FixVTS opten solves structural problems.
    Quote Quote