VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, they seem like a pretty good deal, they're the real mckoy, go for it. i suppose they are 'value line' simply because they're only 8x as opposed to 16x. so much the better.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by BrokenOne
    Those are definitely ValueLine. Premium discs are only $2 more ($35.99 vs $37.99) in quantities of 100 discs at the time of this post. Both have free shipping. For 2 cents a disc I'd go Premium but that's just me. The ValueLine discs should be fine though. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by BrokenOne
    Just get them from Rima.com and stop mucking about.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing wrong with Super Media Store. They do sell the premium TY and differentiate them from the value line.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    O ok. Thanks guys. I appreciate all the feedback. I went for the premium.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SMS is a great store.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've seen way too many defective value TYs lately to ever buy them again, it's not worth saving a couple of dollars and getting a bunch of bad discs. With all the complaints about the new thinner TY discs, look at the feedback on Supermediastore's website, I've decided to go Verbatim from now on. I've never had a problem with Verbatim discs, except a few damaged in shipping, which Verbatim will replace, they will even pay postage both ways.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maxell Plus TYG02 is even better than the premium unbranded TYG02, although the printable layer is worse.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With all the complaints about the new thinner TY discs
    What new thinner discs ?

Can you honestly believe that feedback on the SMS site about the TY's valueline discs ? 33% coasters, 200 duds ??
    What a load of cobblers ! Me thinks either thems or their computers are up the spout, not the TY discs !
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's thinner? lol Never even knew that. But SMS has been great I ordered yesterday and I should get the dvds by Friday. Also I have always bought from there because they have a good deal every now and then.

I don't pay attention to reviews on the site, that's why I ask here to people who know what they are talking about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Thinner discs" sounds like another new dumbass myth to me. DVDs have a set spec as to the thickness of the platter. As cyflyer has just said, it sounds like a bunch of knob gobblers blaming the discs when it's really a keyboard-to-chair interface error. Reviews online have limited value. You must already know about the product to find them useful, so you can weed out the dribble from stupid people.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SMS TY discs that I've used - even the Value Line ones - have been excellent discs. I'd suspect that the discs described as "thinner" may be counterfeit media using TY media code. My perception of TY media has always been the edges are somewhat rounder, with minute ridges; than any other media that I've purchased. Verbatims typically have a well defined sharp edge - without any roughness as found in el cheapo media.

And yes, TYs typically have a peachy smell; Verbatims faint (very faint) plastic odor; and cheap media smells like cheap plastic.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't buy "value line". I have no interest in saving a few cent on a product that is advertised as less than a premium product. I buy TY at rima.com. I don't even shop anymore. Have not had a coaster in over a year.

High coaster rate is most likely firmware and burner issues. Not the DVD-R itself. Replace your old burner with a new Pioneer. Update the firmware first thing. Even the latest firmware with older/off brand burners is trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My company has used roughly a thousand TY 8x white inkjet printable DVD-R discs. We always purchased the Premium line from SMS. The 4 coasters we had were due to a failing DVD burner. Otherwise, there wasn't a bad disc ever. We've had this astounding success with both "thick" and "thin" TYs. Never have we had such good luck with other brands. The Premium Line DVD-Rs are worth the extra pennies per disc. In the long-run, you save more money not having so many coasters.

That's been our experience, anyway. P.S. - We only use Pioneer burners.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I've been having problems with SMS TY Value line white inkjet printables 8X, at least 5 or 6 coasters per 100-Pack. It records the whole disc but when I play the movie there is a missing piece at the end. I perform a disc scan and there are bad sectors at the end from an X point (where it starts) until the very end.
    I realized when I turned the disc upside down that the coasters have a "ring" of a different color/tone on the outside of the disc.
    I will try to scan it to see if it can be seen.
    1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Here they are, I hope you can see the stripe I was talking about.

Quote Quote  
  17. It was supposed to be recorded until the very end, and it's missing at least 20 min. of movie time.
    (The archive is a single file 2-hr home movie)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That "ring" is a zonal burning ring, and is caused by a burner. That outer ring is likely caused from a 16x burn. At what speed are you burning these discs? Zonal rings are normal.
    Quote Quote  
  19. About a year ago I met a gentleman who identified himself as an employee of Taiyo Yuden. We were both awaiting a flight out of O'hara in Chicago. Obviously I didn't ask for identification nor have anyway to determine his credibility but when asked what the difference between ValueLine and Premium he responded with an answer that made a lot of sense to me anyways. He stated they both come from the same manufacturing line and process. The distinction is made by the standards/quality of packaging, handling and storage after the fact. Makes sense to me. Of course the other obvious difference is the no guarantee of TYG02 8x as often times TYG03 is the end result.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    That "ring" is a zonal burning ring, and is caused by a burner. That outer ring is likely caused from a 16x burn. At what speed are you burning these discs? Zonal rings are normal.
    It was recorded at 8x. In this particular one the ring is at the end of the DVD and there are 20 min. "missing" of the movie at the end of it. BUT I also had a movie that could only be played until half of its length time and the ring started at half of the disc......

?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OneSickPup
    . He stated they both come from the same manufacturing line and process. The distinction is made by the standards/quality of packaging, handling and storage after the fact.
    This has always been my understanding as well. The discs are potentially subject to more spot testing, better packaging, and distribution to more targeted outlets (certain retailers or types of retailers). It's also an issue of branding, one to appeal to those stuffy morons that insist "I must have professional grade" as well as Johnny Cheapskate was wants a warm and fuzzy feeling that he got a bargain value.

It's a shame more people don't comprehend marketing and branding, and how it fits in to product sales.

MeDiCo_BrUjO, the disc sounds bad, but I think there's something else going on. Even at 6 coasters per spindle, you're getting a 94% success rate, which is nothing to sneeze at. I'd want to know more about the burner, the firmware, the computer, and the software -- but to save just a couple of discs, it's really not worth the effort. Acknowledge that you get some bad discs, but I'd be careful blaming the disc in this case, as it might not actually the root cause.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Thanks for your help Lordsmurf, I know you know a lot about media and your advise is really appreciated.

I jumped to the conclusion that it was the disc(s), because I've always had an almost 100% success with the TY value line, but since a couple of months ago, I've noticed that the amount of coasters increased from almost-none or 1 per pack to 5 or 6 per pack, and also I've read a few posts in forums from people asking if anyone was having recent problems with their TY's Value Line.
    My computer has been the same, no changes,
    AMD Athlon 2400+
    1.5GB Ram,
    3x500 GB HD,
    2 burners (lite on) :
    Lite on SOHW-1673S firmware JS0D
    Lite on SOHW-1693S firmware KS0B
    I burn the images with Nero 7 and DVD Decrypter but almost always with DVD Decrypter.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Be careful about the advise you get about media on forums. There are basically three types of posters. One type is the truly knowledgeable poster. Although they may have varying opinions their advice is usually pretty good. The second is the social mutant / blow hard who is full of it. They may be contrarions who enjoy arguing for argument's sake or they just may be an idiot or *******. The last type has a pony in the race and is deliberately trying to deceive. It could be a competitor trying to knock off their competition for example. Try to filter what you hear and look at the profile of the poster to get a better idea of their credibility. It also helps to sift through posts looking for the prevailing opinion of a number of credible posters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The retail packaged 16x -R hub printable TY's are right now all I use and (burned at 8x) have all had perfect read curves in Nero DVD/CD Speed tests benchmark for me. The print surfaces print perfectly on my HP 5160.

Burned on LG GSA12N and NEC ND3540
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At some point, I think we're all just ponies.
    Some of us just know more about why we're running, the rules, the goal line, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    neigh whinney whinney neigh
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm confused about the thin vs thick disks. Anyone have the actual thicknesses of what was refered to above.

As I understand it compliant disks are 1.2mm thick. (.6mm substrate +.6mm cover).

Are the thin media being described above the same that are refered to here?

IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT '0.6mm Disk'
    0.6mm Thick Optical Disc does not use DVD Format in a proper manner. It is only imperfectly and inappropriately using the Format. The DVD Forum judged that such a Disc is not compliant with the DVD Specifications.

http://www.dvdforum.org/forum.shtml

Is this separate from the "dumbass myth"?
    Quote Quote  
  28. I too am curious about the whole alleged "thinner TY disc" issue. The ones I have bought online seem if anything to be slightly THICKER than average, not thinner! But then I only use TY -R 8x silver-laquer premium, maybe this "thinner" issue only applies to the 16x? The only issues I've had with TY, which I notice have been corroborated elsewhere on the net but not in this forum, is some premium spindles contain mechanically defective discs, almost always within the top 6 or 10. While removing the first few from the cakebox, the top and bottom halves of some discs seperate completely rendering the disc useless. This really unsettled me for a time until I went thru a couple hundred and found they are largely reliable, the few "bad" ones are bad right off the spindle while the "good" ones remain solid. Weird.

To me the most annoying thing about TY (aside from not having them available in stores) is their stubborn refusal to make a disc with the usual "stacking ring" nearly every other mfr has. This is the slightly raised ridge around the hub, it cushions stacked discs on the spindle and allows them to turn freely and not rub against each other in storage. For whatever reason, all TY discs are totally flat, which makes them more difficult to seperate when a few are stacked and makes them more susceptible to rubbing marks from disc to disc contact.

Nonetheless TY remains the can't-lose, always-works choice for my older recorders and burners. I'll be very sorry when they finally drop their legendary 8x discs next year, the 16x seems to be slightly less "perfect" from what I'm hearing. (And before anyone points me to Verbatim again, yes I know they're supposedly equal to or better than TY, but their current DVD-R doesn't work in my older recorders so they aren't an option for me.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Separate from myth, yes.

Some cheap Asian garbage has been manufactured like CD's in the recent past, with the upper layer missing, with foil exposed.
    Quote Quote