VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone!

I ordered a HD line, and I am gone get it soon. I have no expereince with HD TV line. So, at this point, I am asking if is it possible to split this HD TV line form HD box, in order to send the HD line to DVD recorder and the VCR recorder( I need the HD line to both of them, VCR and DVD recorder because I am recording every day soccer, movies etc.) May someone tell me more about this? Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 1234567
    Hi everyone!

I ordered a HD line, and I am gone get it soon. I have no expereince with HD TV line. So, at this point, I am asking if is it possible to split this HD TV line form HD box, in order to send the HD line to DVD recorder and the VCR recorder( I need the HD line to both of them, VCR and DVD recorder because I am recording every day soccer, movies etc.) May someone tell me more about this? Thanks a lot.
    Is this cable or something else?
    Cable already has the data on the cable even if split. Ordering HD service only means they are programming the HD cable box to decode the ordered HD channels.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by edDV
    Hi everyone!

Is this cable or something else?
    Cable already has the data on the cable even if split. Ordering HD service only means they are programming the HD cable box to decode the ordered HD channels.
    Is a cable. Now, before geting Hd line, I am able to split the line form cable, and sending them to Dvd recorder, and the VCR recorder. So I can recorder in both devices, DVd recorder and VCR. My point is: after getting HD line, do I am able to split the line, that comes from HD box, like now? Second point: does VCR or Dvd recoder, can tune channels easly in auto channel setup? Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="1234567"][quote="edDV"]

My point is: after getting HD line, do I am able to split the line, that comes from HD box, like now? Second point: does VCR or Dvd recoder, can tune channels easly in auto channel setup? Thanks a lot.
    Looping the cable through the cable box may be possible. Talk to the cable support people about this as it varies by cable box.

I use a splitter upstream of the cable box to all devices. I also feed the s-video + audio outputs from the cable box to the various recording devices.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by edDV
    Looping the cable through the cable box may be possible. Talk to the cable support people about this as it varies by cable box.

I use a splitter upstream of the cable box to all devices. I also feed the s-video + audio outputs from the cable box to the various recording devices.
    What is this splitter upstream? Is special?
    Second point: the DVD recorder or VCr can tune the channles if you connect them with RF line cable and not other sources like Svideo, AV etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your setup shouldn't change from how it is now. The cable tech will merely replace your existing cable box with one that can decode the HD channels. If you don't have a cable box now, then you will get a HD cable box unless your TV uses cable cards.

Your current DVD recorder and VCR shouldn't be affected and they won't tune or record HD channels.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV

What is this splitter upstream? Is special?
    Second point: the DVD recorder or VCr can tune the channles if you connect them with RF line cable and not other sources like Svideo, AV etc.
    Typical cable splitters. 2x and 4x are usually available at places like Walmart or KMart. Make sure "bandwidth" is at least 1GHz.

Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Your setup shouldn't change from how it is now. The cable tech will merely replace your existing cable box with one that can decode the HD channels. If you don't have a cable box now, then you will get a HD cable box unless your TV uses cable cards.

Your current DVD recorder and VCR shouldn't be affected and they won't tune or record HD channels.
    I understand that the signal will be changed by the HD box. So, after HD, the signal will be different. At this point, DVD recodrer or VCR will have automatically a new line, and the resetup of tuning system need to be done. Both of them, VCR or DVD recorder can tune from cable system, not from a HD box, that will not work anymore like normal cable signal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter

I understand that the signal will be changed by the HD box. So, after HD, the signal will be different. At this point, DVD recodrer or VCR will have automatically a new line, and the resetup of tuning system need to be done. Both of them, VCR or DVD recorder can tune from cable system, not from a HD box, that will not work anymore like normal cable signal.
    Cable boxes can do one of the following with the RF out. Modes differ by box brand and the way the cable company has it configured. Cable support will know what each box can do.

0. No output at all
    1. Bypass. It passes exactly what comes in.
    2. Cable box output as RF NTSC (Ch 3 or 4). This one follows channel tuning on the box.
    3. Menu specified
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by edDV
    0. No output at all
    2. Cable box output as RF NTSC (Ch 3 or 4). This one follows channel tuning on the box.
    3. Menu specified
    In my opinion, HD box will change the signal, that means the frequence for every channel. So, the tuning system of Dvd recorder of VCR, has limitation on unlimited space of frequences. At this point, I am not sure, if VCR tuner can recognize the new frequences comming from HD box. That is my point, my friend.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    0. No output at all
    3. Menu specified
    In my opinion, HD box will change the signal, that means the frequence for every channel. So, the tuning system of Dvd recorder of VCR, has limitation on unlimited space of frequences. At this point, I am not sure, if VCR tuner can recognize the new frequences comming from HD box. That is my point, my friend.
    US Cable systems use these frequencies. Digital channels typically use Ultraband up. In bypass mode the same frequencies that come in go out. Your cable support people can tell you the modes available on the box they supply.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_cable_television_frequencies

Analog channels today stop around Ch64-73 with the bulk of higher channels carrying the digital QAM channels.

As said above, I use splitters to feed several devices (e.g. 4 TV, 2 cable boxes, 3 computer tuners, 1 DVD recorder and 2VCRs). I don't connect anything to the RF output of the HD cable box.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The HD channels already exist on your current cable system. You just don't have a tuner (cable box) capable of decoding them. The only thing that will change with your "new" setup, is that a HD capable cable box will be attached to your TV which will decode the HD channels.

Unless you are wanting to record HD channels (which is pointless as your current hardware can't record in HD anyway), then nothing will change with your existing hardware.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    The HD channels already exist on your current cable system. You just don't have a tuner (cable box) capable of decoding them. The only thing that will change with your "new" setup, is that a HD capable cable box will be attached to your TV which will decode the HD channels.

Unless you are wanting to record HD channels (which is pointless as your current hardware can't record in HD anyway), then nothing will change with your existing hardware.
    At this point, I understand that I can provide my VCR ose DVd recording with analog signal for tuning, in case of splitting the cable signal, before cable goes to the digital HD box. Is that you point?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. You have cable input into your hardware (VCR, DVD Recorder, cable box, HD cable box, etc) which is the same before and after your upgrade. You then have video output from each of those devices (different from the cable input).

From your use of terms and descriptions above, you were questiong splitting the cable input. And I was trying to point out that there is no need to split the input or make any changes to your current hardware setup and the cable input will still be the same. But it sounds like what you are really trying to find out about is the video output. If that's the case, then your new HD cable box should have several video outputs which you can then route to your TV, VCR, DVD Recorder. But the only reason to do that would be to record a HD channel which isn't broadcast in SD (highly unlikely as most HD channels are duplicates of SD channels).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM

Why don't you get a DVR through your cable provider and do away with the DVD recorder and VCR? It's a whole lot easier and much better quality. First you'll be able to record in HD, which you won't on your DVD recorder or VCR. Second, depending on the size of the hard drive installed, you'll be able to record a LOT more content then you could with your DVD/VCR six times over, combined! And, if you really want to put something off to DVD or VCR you could do it some other time.

Maybe its not too late to tell your cable provider you'd like the upgrade. Worth every penny, that is, if it even costs you anything in the first place!
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by neomaine

Why don't you get a DVR through your cable provider and do away with the DVD recorder and VCR? It's a whole lot easier and much better quality. First you'll be able to record in HD, which you won't on your DVD recorder or VCR. Second, depending on the size of the hard drive installed, you'll be able to record a LOT more content then you could with your DVD/VCR six times over, combined! And, if you really want to put something off to DVD or VCR you could do it some other time.

Maybe its not too late to tell your cable provider you'd like the upgrade. Worth every penny, that is, if it even costs you anything in the first place!
    Thanks my friend.

First of all, I spent a lot of money, on buying 160 gb- DVD recorder (around 400$) and VCR multiregional (around 1000$) So is not easy to get rid of these expensive things.
    Second thing, PVR from my cable provider will cost me 500$, and I have to pay every month around 30 $ on this service
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neomaine

Thanks my friend.

First of all, I spent a lot of money, on buying 160 gb- DVD recorder (around 400$) and VCR multiregional (around 1000$) So is not easy to get rid of these expensive things.
    Second thing, PVR from my cable provider will cost me 500$, and I have to pay every month around 30 $ on this service
    You should probably double check on that price. Cable companies rent their hardware to you, the same as they are doing for the HD cable box for your new service. The HD cable box/DVR is likely only $5-10 more a month. Not to mention that you just upgraded your service to get HD content and your existing hardware can't record HD. So you are stuck being able to watch HD, but only being able to record SD.

As for the VCR, the only real reason for keeping it is to be able to play the VHS tapes you currently own. Any of your existing tapes that can't easily be replaced by DVD, you should consider copying them to keep them safe. While I understand not everyone has the money to replace their entire VHS catalog, you need to realize it is an outdated format. You should at least be thinking about how they will be replaced/converted to DVD.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote