VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will be converting Hi8 tapes, which were recorded with my Sony TRV82, into DV-AVI.

There is a lot of great information, here on these boards, to digest. I've narrowed my converter to either the ADVC55 or a Sony Digital8 camcorder. The ADVC55 seems to nicely fit my needs. However, if I purchase a (used) Digital8 camcorder, when I have completed my project, I could then give the camcorder to my sister to use which is very appealing idea.

I've read that due to PAL v. NTSC sources my pass-through footage black levels will washout when burned to DVD, something that can be avoided by using the ADVC55. I've also seen mentioned that I can use software to fix this, as I'm capturing; is this correct?

Also, will the AD passthrough sync the audio with the video as it's converting? This is a concern of mine.

Assuming I am able to adjust, via software, the blackout affect of using a passthrough and my audio is synced with my video, are there any other reasons as to why I shouldn't choose a Digital8 over the ADVC55?

I'll be using a recently upgraded computer with Vista 64bit installed.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I recall that the ADVC-100 is the lowest model with the 0.0/7.5 IRE switch and audio sync mode but I may be wrong.

I haven't had audio sync slip issues with DV cam analog passthrough but others have mentioned problems.

Enosoft DV Processor has a live procamp function and may be able to shift Y black down 16 levels realtime. Ask JohnnyMalaria to confirm. I just haven't used it that way yet,
    http://www.enosoft.net/index.htm

There are no levels or audio sync issues when playing Hi8 tapes in a Digital8 camcorder. The camcorder places black correctly at level 16.

One issue is Digital8 camcorders will only play Hi8 audio from the linear (low quality) tracks, not AFM stereo or PCM.

Not all Digital8 camcorders will play Hi8. Confirm that before you buy a used one. There are no new units that play Hi8 other than the GV-D200/800 decks. These decks will play from the Hi8 AFM and PCM audio tracks.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try the Enosoft DV Processor. It can process DV in real time during transfer and is free for personal use. AFAIK, all DV devices, be they camera or a ADVC unit should have locked sync and work in a similar fashion to create the DV format. I don't know about the black level settings, or PAL/NTSC. But should be other members that can give you that information.

And welcome to our forums.

EDIT: It looks like edDV was faster than me. And with better info.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, as you'll read elsewhere on this board, the Digital8 camcorder may include a TBC, while the ADVC55, 100 and 110 do not (the 300 does though).

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm still reading through the boards and gathering information before I make my purchase. At this point, I'm leaning towards the ADVC55 (or the ADVC110 depending on how the dip switches on the back of the 55 differ from those of the 110).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ear Whiskers
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm still reading through the boards and gathering information before I make my purchase. At this point, I'm leaning towards the ADVC55 (or the ADVC110 depending on how the dip switches on the back of the 55 differ from those of the 110).
    I started with a Digital8 camcorder for transferring my Hi8 tapes. It worked OK except my tapes had AFM and PCM audio that I wanted to preserve. The Digital8 only accessed the linear audio track. It was then that I bought the ADVC-100 and used the origianal Hi8 camcorder for transfer.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

I dont know if this is the right forum for my concerns. I'm transferring my hi8 video from a sony hi8 camcorder and im using kworld dvd maker 2800d usb 2.0. I've noticed small squares (I really dont know what is it) with the output video. It seems like it was compressed, but I'm sure I did not changed the setting to compress the video output. I'm using intel board p4 2.26ghz, 1gb mem and 128mb of video card. What seems to be the problem pls help me on this.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are encoding because that device encodes to MPEG-2 in hardware and sends this to the PC via USB2.0. It's probably not a great encoder(!) - use a higher bitrate, or a different device.

(By the way, I think it's considered bad to cross post).

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've decided to buy the ADVC 110, instead of the ADVC 55 or a Digital8 camcorder.

After reading through some the Grassvalley forums, I learned that the only differences between the 55 and the 110 are the analog outputs (video and audio) and the color bar output which are both featured in the 110 but not the 55. The dip switches on both D-A converters are identical.

While the 55 is perfect for my needs (I don't need any analog outputs), the 110 seems to have higher resale potential which is important as I only have this one major conversion project.

Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote