VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. How can i add VLC player to WMV "Open With" menu?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could R click on a WMV file, open 'properties' and set VLC as the default player for those type of files. Also, I beleve when you run VLC the first time, it gives you a list of formats that you can set VLC for as default player. Usually WMP will take over otherwise.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't want it to open with VLC by default. I just want it to WMV open with menu.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you set it to default and then change the default to something else i think vlc will stay in the open with menu for wmv.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Right-click on "filename.ext", select "Open with...",
    select "Choose prog/appl".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Midzuki
    Right-click on "filename.ext", select "Open with...",
    select "Choose prog/appl".
    Yes i have done that,but i think it only adds program until next reboot... How can i do it with registry? I have tried some things, but without success.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Digiface wrote:

Yes i have done that, but i think it only adds program until next reboot...
    Not at all. If your system does not save that setting into the registry files,
    then it surely has a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As a workaround you can add a shortcut to VLC to your "SendTo" folder. I put one there since VLC would often drop out of my "Open With" if I didn't use it very often. SendTo's great for stuff like that. I even put a shortcut to SendTo into my SendTo folder so I could sendto sendto.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Midzuki
    Digiface wrote:

Yes i have done that, but i think it only adds program until next reboot...
    Not at all. If your system does not save that setting into the registry files,
    then it surely has a problem.
    Yes it's already gone after using CCleaner. I think it's about MRU cleaning. I got a MRU cleaner run at the startup also.

Squash: I will try that. Edit. Well actually i have already tried that, but it didn't work. 2Edit: Got that "SendTo" to work. First time i created copy instead of a shortcut. That's why it didn't worked, now it works great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check the "always" box.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Check the "always" box.
    Ain't it then make VLC as a default player to WMV?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It seems that, unless you choose a default player for the .WMVs,
    the system will not keep an alternative "Open with" list for the file type.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's what you do: go to Folder Options/File Types, find the wmv file type. Click "Advanced", copy the command line that opens wmv's in WMP... create a new action...I called it "Open in VLC"....paste the command line into the box, & replace the directory info with the path to VLC.exe on your machine. Now you can right-click on a wmv file, & one of the choices will be "Open in VLC". I've done this with all the video file types, & it works like a charm.
    Stiiv
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use OpenExpert.
    http://www.baxbex.com/downloads.html
    I even use it under Vista with no problem.

boyett
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a problem that I have. When I use the open with option and choose GSpot Codec Identification Appliance, the movie opens with GSpot but if GSpot Codec Identification Appliance is not showing and I try an choose GSpot from the choose program option, Windows tells me that the movie that I am trying to open is not a valid Win32 application.

The GSpot that is in the Choose Program dialogue box is not a valid exe file and there is no way that I can get rid of it and force Windows to choose the correct GSpot exe file.

EDIT: Problem solved. Deleted GSpot folder and used regedit to delete all GSpot instances and reinstalled GSpot.

Now GSpot Codec Identification Appliance appears in the choose program box after selecting GSpot exe to open with. No more Win32 errors.
    Quote Quote