VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi everyone!

I got a new TV, a new LCD fully HD TV. Is a nice TV, but I am having problems with HD connections. My DVD recorder/player does not have HDMI or DVI outputs. This DVD recorder/player has only s-video output and standard AV 3 colors cable. I do not know what you do because I see that the signal from DVD to TV comes not clear. The TV has HDMI and DVI input, and the DVD not. Is possible to find any HD cable, that in one side will be HDMI and in the other side to be S-video? Or any precious suggestion my friends? Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No.

The only hd options you have are:

hdmi
    dvi
    vga
    component

Svideo will not do high def.

If you don't want to get an upscaling dvd player you can get an older style progressive dvd player for less than 50.00 that will have component hook up. I assume your tv has component connections. That way you can hook it that way and least get a progressive signal. 480p will be better than a svideo cable.

But if you look depending on your budget I would suggest checking out upconverting dvd players. If you have a free hdmi port available than use that for the best signal. You can get upconverting players for under a 100.00 these days.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 1234567
    Hi everyone!

The TV has HDMI and DVI input, and the DVD not. ...
    I haven't seen an HDTV yet that didn't have YPbPr (Green-Blue-Red) inputs.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by edDV
    Hi everyone!

The TV has HDMI and DVI input, and the DVD not. ...
    I haven't seen an HDTV yet that didn't have YPbPr (Green-Blue-Red) inputs.
    I did not know, that YPbPr (Green-Blue-Red) is a HD input source. So, my Tv has 2 YPbPr (Green-Blue-Red) inputs. Final question: The scart is a HD input?(my VCR) has a scart output)

Anyhow, thanks a lot for your help friends.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, scart isn't a HiDef connection, though a RGB scart connection is about as good for quality on standard def. as component.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by KBeee
    No, scart isn't a HiDef connection, though a RGB scart connection is about as good for quality on standard def. as component.
    Thanks my friend.

p.s. Does somebody see a cable HDMI to component( HDMI-TV input---Component-DVD-output) ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are in the USA? SCART is not usually found in the USA.

YPbPr out of a DVD player is 720x480i or 720x480p. That is your best connection to a HDTV set for a standard DVD player. The HDTV will receive 720x480 and automatically upscale to the native display resolution of your TV (usually 1366x768, sometimes 1920x1080).

YPbPr from a high definition source (like a cable box) can be set to 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by edDV

YPbPr out of a DVD player is 720x480i or 720x480p. That is your best connection to a HDTV set for a standard DVD player. The HDTV will receive 720x480 and automatically upscale to the native display resolution of your TV (usually 1366x768, sometimes 1920x1080).

YPbPr from a high definition source (like a cable box) can be set to 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i.
    Samsung multiformat VCR have scart output.
    YPbPr will cost how much?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV

The cable? About $9.60 at Walmart. Called analog component.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by edDV

At Staples Depot or at Best Buy, I saw that costs about 40$.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

That is why you buy a Philips or RCA cable at Walmart.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by edDV

Is the same quality of this cable? So, the same quality of this in Wall Mart?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Nothing to do with quality. Retail stores discount the main product then charge tripple or more for accessories. Get the best prices and quality online. For this cable, get it at Walmart.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by edDV

Nothing to do with quality. Retail stores discount the main product then charge tripple or more for accessories. Get the best prices and quality online. For this cable, get it at Walmart.
    No I mean, the quality of this cable at Wall Mart is the same with quality of the same cable at Staples or Best Buy( where will cost 3 or 4 times more)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For your needs yes. You will never see a difference. If you need very long cable runs buy quality cables online from someone like this.
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/video-cables/component-video-cables/componen...prod55872.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes buy the cheap cables! ..paying $40 for a cable is rediculous!
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by edDV
    For your needs yes. You will never see a difference. If you need very long cable runs buy quality cables online from someone like this.
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/video-cables/component-video-cables/componen...prod55872.html
    At this point, this component cable at Wall Mart is beter than normal analog cable( red yellow white)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At this point, this component cable at Wall Mart is beter than normal analog cable( red yellow white)?
    Much better. It is component YPbPr not NTSC. You will still need red-white for audio.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by edDV
    Much better. It is component YPbPr not NTSC. You will still need red-white for audio.
    Ok, and thanks very much for all explenations. Final issue: Is any cable that can be HDMI to Component ( or svideo or scart)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, and thanks very much for all explenations. Final issue: Is any cable that can be HDMI to Component ( or svideo or scart)?
    NO HDMI is all digital. S-Video, component, and SCART are all analog.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I got my LCD TV last month I wasn't happy with the DVD to TV picture quality until I picked up a cheap upconvert DVD player for $60. That with a HDMI cable makes a world of difference over any analog connection between the player and TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rijir2001
    When I got my LCD TV last month I wasn't happy with the DVD to TV picture quality until I picked up a cheap upconvert DVD player for $60. That with a HDMI cable makes a world of difference over any analog connection between the player and TV.
    Yes alternative is buying a new upscaling DVD player + HDMI cable. HDMI cables are best bought online. Stores want >$30. Online about $7+shipping.

Or use your current player + $9 Walmart component cable and you will see a big improvement.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by edDV
    Yes alternative is buying a new upscaling DVD player + HDMI cable. HDMI cables are best bought online. Stores want >$30. Online about $7+shipping.

Or use your current player + $9 Walmart component cable and you will see a big improvement.
    Yea, is a great idea to buy a new DVD with HDMI inputs, instead of spending a 50$ for a component 24k gold cable. In my case, a have a DVD player, without HDMI inputs, with hard drive 160 gb, multisystem multiformat DVD, that can play any DVD or video file( avi, divx, mpeg etc. So, for me is better to buy a cable-component.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Yea, is a great idea to buy a new DVD with HDMI inputs, instead of spending a 50$ for a component 24k gold cable. In my case, a have a DVD player, without HDMI inputs, with hard drive 160 gb, multisystem multiformat DVD, that can play any DVD or video file( avi, divx, mpeg etc. So, for me is better to buy a cable-component.
    Forget the $50 gold cable and buy the $9 (6ft) or $20 (10ft) Walmart cable. The picture will be the same.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by edDV
    Forget the $50 gold cable and buy the $9 (6ft) or $20 (10ft) Walmart cable. The picture will be the same.
    Ok, thanks man. I trust you. By the way, technically speaking, why you are sure that the signal will be the same?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thanks man. I trust you. By the way, technically speaking, why you are sure that the signal will be the same?
    Because 480i analog component is basically 0-8MHz monochrome luminance and two color difference channels and is well within standard 75 ohm coax specification. TV stations use hundreds of feet of this stuff (usually Beldon 8281) with little need for equalization until you are out hundreds of feet. At six feet most any 3x coax will work. The $9 Philips cable at Walmart will be fine.

High definition 720p 1080i analog component has frequencies out beyond 20MHz per component and is therefore more subject to attenuation and group delay at long lengths. Also HD paths are more sensitive to external noise. That is why for long runs (>25ft) higher quality coax cable and shielding is required. Even short cables can benefit from "double shielding" as is the case with the Walmart $20 cable. At 10-20 feet consumer double shielded cables are adequate.

Keep in mind that cable systems routinely pass 0-1GHz bandwidth hundreds of feet over 75 ohm coax but at those frequencies, electronic equalization IS required to get flat response.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by edDV
    Because 480i analog component is basically 0-8MHz monochrome luminance and two color difference channels and is well within standard 75 ohm coax specification. TV stations use hundreds of feet of this stuff (usually Beldon 8281) with little need for equalization until you are out hundreds of feet. At six feet most any 3x coax will work.

High definition 720p 1080i analog component has frequencies out beyond 20MHz per component and is therefore more subject to attenuation and group delay at long lengths. Also HD paths are more sensitive to external noise. That is why for long runs (>25ft) higher quality coax cable and shielding is required. Even short cables can benefit from "double shielding" as is the case with the Walmart $20 cable. At 10-20 feet consumer double shielded cables are adequate.
    Thanks my friend. I understand basically things that you explain( I am not so connected with Tvs or DVDs). So, is no need to buy 24 gold cable
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Because 480i analog component is basically 0-8MHz monochrome luminance and two color difference channels and is well within standard 75 ohm coax specification. TV stations use hundreds of feet of this stuff (usually Beldon 8281) with little need for equalization until you are out hundreds of feet. At six feet most any 3x coax will work.

Thanks my friend. I understand basically things that you explain( I am not so connected with Tvs or DVDs). So, is no need to buy 24 gold cable
    The "gold" is in the connector but all the connectors inside your cable box or DVD recorder are not gold so big deal.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by edDV
    The "gold" is in the connector but all the connectors inside your cable box or DVD recorder are not gold so big deal.
    Thanks for the explenations. Yeaah I understand. Nothing is "gold" inside the cable exept the top of cable. But at this point something is missing me: both cables red-yellow-white and red-blu-green, do not come with gold inside. So, if both come without the "gold", technically, where is the real difference between red-yellow-white and red-blu-green cables? So, if they both are not gold, why to choose the red-blu-green instead of red-yellow-white ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the explenations. Yeaah I understand. Nothing is "gold" inside the cable exept the top of cable. But at this point something is missing me: both cables red-yellow-white and red-blu-green, do not come with gold inside. So, if both come without the "gold", technically, where is the real difference between red-yellow-white and red-blu-green cables? So, if they both are not gold, why to choose the red-blu-green instead of red-yellow-white ?
    Yellow is composite NTSC, the lowest quality connection.

S-Video is NTSC with luminance (Y) and chrominance (C) on separate wires but C is still modulated NTSC.

Analog component has Y and the two base color components Pb and Pr on separate coax cables. This is by far a superior connection and can carry standard def or high def (e.g. 720x480i, 720x480p, 1280x720p, 1920x1980i).

Audio is carried separately on red/white analog cables or on S/PDIF digital orange coax or optical Toslink cable.

Quote Quote