VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I running XP Pro SP2, Prescott with 3.0Ghz, 512 RAM 400 Mhz Kingston

Both DOS memtest and Windows memtest were showing RAM errors - so I thought perhaps it was my BIOS/CMOS settings - so I changed the memory settings from Auto (based on SPD) to "Ultra" - 400 mHz

Now, I can't even post - and my monitor shows nothing - I tried changing monitors - no difference - I tried booting from a floppy - no screen info . . .

So I am wondering what I did to my system - [I don't know what SPD or Ultra are] and how can I fix it - so I can at least boot and hopefully get into XP - I am tempted to take the 1GB memory from my Vista machine - but since I don't know what I am doing - I think I'll wait to get some feedback.

Any suggestions?

TIA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check your motherboard manual. Assuming you haven't done any physical damage, there will be a reset jumper combination. Bridge the jumpers as shown by your manual, and the BIOS will be reset to a safe default and should then boot.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow - talk about a fast response!

Thanks guns1inger - I'll have to find my manual, I know its somewhere.

By the way, what physical damage might I have done?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably none. Worst case you might have damaged the memory, although if you are getting RAM errors then it might not matter. Or perhaps you pushed it over the edge and the bad ram is now shot.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't get anywhere with the jumpers, unplug the PC and remove the BIOS battery, wait about 3 or 4 minutes, then reinstall it. That should at least get you back to the default settings.

If you are getting RAM errors, replace the RAM. It's fairly inexpensive at present and you can't fix it anyway . Some RAM has a lifetime guarantee. Kingston should. If yours does, get a RMA from the manufacturer and replace it. I would only buy RAM from one of the larger companies and only if it has a lifetime guarantee.

You can also try running a memory test program like Memtes86. http://www.memtest86.com/ Let it run at least an hour or two.

Usually you can only damage memory by adjusting the voltage improperly in BIOS. I doubt that's the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. With your computer unplugged make sure RAM is correctly seated and locked in. Then it depends on your motherboard, some motherboards like Asus recovers and post in default setting. Findout what motherboard you have then go to its website and look at the manual how to set default. Newer MB don't use jumper some even have double bios. Your 1st task is to find out Name and model of your motherboard. Give us more info you have 1 stick 512 or 2 stick ..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies

I removed the battery for a few minutes - put it back in - computer posted - then I set "Optimal Defaults" - saved and rebooted - seems fine

Thanks for the advice - now for the bad RAM problem - it's my understanding that it could be the motherboard - can I simply test this 512 RAM stick in my Vista machine - what settings do I need to be aware or will the BIOS pick up the new RAM and create auto settings - and/or is it safe to install the 1 GB RAM from my Vista machine into the MSI motherboard that I want to test ... simply put - are there compatibility issues here?

TIA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    easier to test in in the computer it's in. no worries about wrong type/speed.

try microsoft's tester - http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

or any other ram test that self boots into a dos environment.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote