VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a HTP running Windows Vista Home Premium and would like to setup a server in a data center where I download all of my movies. I have windows server 2003 available to put on the server and I know there is an option to make it a streaming media server. I do not know if that is the best way or there is a better way?

I would like there to be some kind of interface we I can connect with the HTPC and play a movie and possible pause so it can build up a little like youtube or whatever so there is no lag in the middle of the movie. I looked at clipshare but don’t know if that is a waste and if there is any automatic compression or anything as I want the quality to remain good on full screen mode on a HDMI TV

Am i even going to be able to stream this without compressing it so much that it greatly reduces video quality?

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you need to make various compressed videos to see how much compression you can live with... you need a solid 1500kbit to keep Xvid/DivX happy and maintain a "near" DVD Quality... this would allow stereo MP3 audio and about 1370kbps video, keeping the 5.1 surround means your video will start to suffer... 1500kbit would probably need a 3mbps connection to keep "steady" - otherwise you'll have to buffer each one...

look into The Orb for on the fly compression, but I haven't ever seen a Media Center plugin that allows for direct control... but it could exist...
    Quote Quote