VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently downloaded some .mkv files for the first time and when attempting to play them in MPlayer they work fine for a while, and then in the middle of the video it disappears with no error messages. I tried playing them in VLC and at the same point in the video I get an assertion saying "invalid track index" or something like that. If I fast forward a few seconds past the point then the video continues playing normally. The problem is that these specific .mkv files have about 2-3 of these points throughout the file and its annoying!

Is there any way using FFMPEGX to repair these files without re-encoding them?
    --Laurence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the tools section - video repair. try a couple and see if they work on it. most likely a poorly made avi and not likely a fix will work without redoing it over again with the source. the chance you take d/ling things.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know you can repair AVI files, I was wondering if there was a way to do something similar with MKV files. It doesn't really matter, I'll just convert them to m4v or avi.

Thanks!
    --Laurence
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lhawkins
    I recently downloaded some .mkv files for the first time and when attempting to play them in MPlayer they work fine for a while, and then in the middle of the video it disappears with no error messages. I tried playing them in VLC and at the same point in the video I get an assertion saying "invalid track index" or something like that. If I fast forward a few seconds past the point then the video continues playing normally. The problem is that these specific .mkv files have about 2-3 of these points throughout the file and its annoying!

Is there any way using FFMPEGX to repair these files without re-encoding them?
    have you put any consideration towards the fact that your computer just doesn't have the processing power to handle the streams within the mkv container? if your computer detail info is current, you appear to have a G4 533 mhz processor, maybe dual pro digital audio version? if the video stream within the mkv is AVC/h264, that will most definitely be too much for your processor to handle without stuttering. check the streams under VLC (window>info) to see if it is AVC. if so, use an application like MKVToolnix to separate the streams and run the video through ffmpegx using one of the xvid/divx settings. of course i may be barking up the wrong tree, who knows...
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am thinking of make such a program that fix half downloaded MKV files like DivFix++
    One day, I give up thinking and started to make one.
    After more that 5 year, topic starter have a chance to fix it's broken MKV files...

project_Meteorite

Not yet ready, but I am work on it. I expect release soon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome! Well done.
    Can you elaborate on the kinds of issues it can and can't fix? Is it 'only' about partial files?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well done indeed!
    I personally don't have a need for an MKV fix tool at the moment, but I could see many people would find it useful.

And Happy Birthday for yesterday
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Case
    Awesome! Well done.
    Can you elaborate on the kinds of issues it can and can't fix? Is it 'only' about partial files?
    Program tries to remove empty sections and try to rebuild whole index. So works on every type of files, If it's partially downloaded file or not.. You might have "non seeakable" MKV movie but it's not broken. Tool could place index to that MKV and your file is seek-able now.

It theoretically could fix every MKV file on the wild, but there is some bugs at in practice. Those will fade out with time and coding
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Death_Knight_(tm) View Post
    At last, It's alive!
    http://meteorite.sf.net
    I've tried meteorite with some small mkv samples I have and it works just fine.

But, recently I've come across 2 mkv files with 7 Gb each.
    Both reporting EBML errors and playing time less than the real total length.

I've tried to use meteorite with them, but there is no output after an entire night processing (just the CPU at 50% occupancy).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by rajalev View Post
    Originally Posted by Death_Knight_(tm) View Post
    At last, It's alive!
    I've tried meteorite with some small mkv samples I have and it works just fine.

But, recently I've come across 2 mkv files with 7 Gb each.
    Both reporting EBML errors and playing time less than the real total length.

I've tried to use meteorite with them, but there is no output after an entire night processing (just the CPU at 50% occupancy).
    Perfectly normal. Because my program is not complete. I just open source code at my birthday for give a birthday gift to humanity and compile for 3 major distributions, thats all. But it currently could fix >%90 of mkv files which is good thing. At least, you have a tool that could recover some of your mkv files since there is no other software could help you.
    I paused development for a while because of my ther projects like SamyGO and wxHexEditor. At Jun~Jul 2010 I am planning start development again and wish to fix some bugs like x64 bit problem on Vista/7 OSes.

If you like my tools, please support it via feedbacks, donations(I really like this choice more than others ) and sharing at your profile like facebook and/or other web pages
    Thank you for using.
    Erdem.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I download this file but Kaspersky won't let me run it. It's sending me a message that there is a hoax.win32.agent.wc - Is this true? If not then how can I use this sw? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by cap_P View Post
    I download this file but Kaspersky won't let me run it. It's sending me a message that there is a hoax.win32.agent.wc - Is this true? If not then how can I use this sw? Thanks
    It's false positive. Ignore that warning or recompile it from sources. source code is open.
    Quote Quote  
  13. New version of Meteorite is available (v0.11). There some bug fixes...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks I'm giving it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried this with a mkv files. unfortunately it does not work. the only thing it do is the readable part from any programs, then stop...

Thanks for your efforts
    Quote Quote  
  16. Do you sure if your file has the remaining part?
    Sorry but no one could fix your file if it doesn't have the data after that point...
    If you don't believe, open it with an hex editor like http://wxhexeditor.sf.net and see it by your own eyes. It's empty!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried your tool today to repair 2 broken MKV files that stops playing at a specific timecode but both allow me to manually skip to other timecodes to continue playing.

Unfortunately your tool does not work for this issue

Is it even possible to fix issues like that ? I'm really looking forward to somehow fix this issue, hopefully fast and easy Could you help me Death_Knight_(tm)?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you sure if your file has the remaining part?
    Sorry but no one could fix your file if it doesn't have the data after that point...
    If you don't believe, open it with an hex editor like http://wxhexeditor.sf.net and see it by your own eyes. It's empty!
    I belive that there are something in this file, but where is the data has gone, I do not know, because i make the files myself and watch before. could be something wrong,

One thing else, why windows 7 explorer hang when reach some NKV files (Not all mkv files)
    and, what is the best free or paid program to use for joining and splitting MKV file..
    Quote Quote  
  19. @rzainaddin if you could put the file online than I can analyze it. But I believe it doesn't have any data after that location. Sometimes HDD crops the file. There is nothing to do... Win7 hangs due that corrupted files. And I don't know which one are best or not but you can try AviDemux for the job...

@cH40z-Lord I don't know what is your problem. If you can upload those files to internet, than I can download them, inspect them and fix the Meteorite. Also you can detect and fix the issue and send me patch for merging, since my tools is opensourced

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Dear Death_Knight

From this file, I made already a DVD, and still I have this DVD and I watch it some time (Complete movie), and again, I edited this movie and add subtitle and chapter, (this file was MP4 and convert to MKV with MKVmerge), It mean, this file was perfect before it damage, But I believe that when I had a problem with my HDD, then I had to recover it. It seem full size had been recover, 2.6 Gb, but not full data. I found same problem with MP4 file.

Thank you for your comment and wish you all the best in your project....
    Quote Quote  
  21. Understand the situation.
    All I wanted to say that, Meteorite (generally) recovers parts after corrupted region.
    I can watch half videos over emule and torrent streams which has thousands corrupted emptry regions in it...

I think you can use tool "CDCheck" for re-recover your file from DVD. It will try to recover each sector from DVD. Also trying to do on different DVD readers might lead recover more data. Than re-try to fix those files. That is least thing that you can try...
    Best Regards,
    Erdem
    Quote Quote  
  22. Had a HDTV.MKV that stops after a couple minutes playback. MkvToolnix remux reports an error in the AC3 and does not complete. Tsmuxer won't take it at all.

Tried the latest version of Meteorite and it does the same as this gent reported;
    Quote Quote  
  23. It's just a bug.
    Can't find time to fix bugs this months, but I am planning to remove those bugs before die.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Meteorite works well. But, the developer has shelved it for obvious reasons (lack of support).

Is there a substitute?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello there,

just found Meteorite for an unseekable mkv. It played fine on the computer, but the BluRay-Player didn't seek through it, just froze... I dropped it in Meteorite and - lo and behold, after less than 2 minutes (comparatively small file, external USB-drive) it is seekable now and plays just fine!

Thanks so much for all the effort!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks alot for Meteorite.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    New version of Meteorite is available (v0.11). There some bug fixes...
    I downloaded the new version and tried to use it, but it crashes each time. However, I think my problem is when I transcode the dvd into an avi file and tried to put the srt with it. It works fine without the adding the srt file; however when I add it is non view-able and non editable with meteorite. In other words, MKVToolNix does not report a problem when adding the srt with it, but it crashes.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zordos View Post
    New version of Meteorite is available (v0.11). There some bug fixes...
    I downloaded the new version and tried to use it, but it crashes each time. However, I think my problem is when I transcode the dvd into an avi file and tried to put the srt with it. It works fine without the adding the srt file; however when I add it is non view-able and non editable with meteorite. In other words, MKVToolNix does not report a problem when adding the srt with it, but it crashes.
    When are you are using meteorite? An avi and srt is not any mkv.

Use mkvtoolnixgui to add the avi and srt together to a mkv...
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry, I did not explain myself well. I used another program to make the .mkv and the .mkv works well. I then used the Toolnix to place the .srt and have the subtitles put in. That is when I see that the file that used to play, no longer plays. I use the Meteorite to try to fix it and it hangs and crashes. So the problem must be with the placing of that .srt. As you can see, I'm new to this so it is a learning process. Thanks.
    Quote Quote