VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In HDV world, is there any benefit of PAL over NTSC?

Also, what are the actual resolutions of this camera (in line out, or DV out) in the various modes (1080i, 24p, 24F)?

Of all the camera modes, which will give best Image Quality for almost stationary nature scenes?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by W_Eagle
    In HDV world, is there any benefit of PAL over NTSC?

Also, what are the actual resolutions of this camera (in line out, or DV out) in the various modes (1080i, 24p, 24F)?

Of all the camera modes, which will give best Image Quality for almost stationary nature scenes?
    You are in a PAL country so advantage goes to PAL unless your viewing customer is NTSC. NTSC can be viewed on most PAL TV sets but not the reverse.

The NTSC model works in standard NTSC DV modes or HDV 1080i/p (not 720p)

DV standard 4:3 720x480i 29.97 fps
    DV wide 16:9 720x480i 29.97 fps

HDV 16:9 1440x1080i 29.97 fps
    HDV 16:9 1440x1080p 23.976 fps (24f telecined to 29.97 fps)

As for nature scenes, the HDV 24f mode is good with a heavy tripod. Image "quality" is about the same for interlace or progressive modes. you would choose one or the other based on your distribution needs. 24F mode is easier if the goal is to release in both PAL and NTSC but you need a good editor that supports 24p post production. The work flow can get quite complicated.

To understand the basics of 24p/24pa/24f look at this
    http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    Indeed, I'm in a PAL country, however, all TV sets and projectors here are dual system. I know that in standard TV resolutions (720x576 / 720x480) PAL has an advantage in IQ, so my question is whether that advantage is still maintained in HD?

There will be few channels, distributed over LAN, parts also over the Internet infrastructure. Therefore, the transmission will have to be compressed to MPEG4 on the fly, by either software or hardware. However, no editing will be done. It will be a live "broadcast" from few spots.

Each camera will be mounted on a tripod, though not a very heavy one, unless a heavy one will be needed. Also, there will be a servo mechanism panning very very slowly each camera.

Under those circumstance, which mode is best, 1080i, 24p or 24F?

Is there a software to effectively compress and decompress HDV on the fly to MPEG4? If no, is there such hardware?

Whish MPEG4 codec will give the best compression, without any artifacts, to an almost stationary scene (stationary with an extremely slow panning)? What will be the bitrate?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    Indeed, I'm in a PAL country, however, all TV sets and projectors here are dual system. I know that in standard TV resolutions (720x576 / 720x480) PAL has an advantage in IQ, so my question is whether that advantage is still maintained in HD?

There will be few channels, distributed over LAN, parts also over the Internet infrastructure. Therefore, the transmission will have to be compressed to MPEG4 on the fly, by either software or hardware. However, no editing will be done. It will be a live "broadcast" from few spots.

Each camera will be mounted on a tripod, though not a very heavy one, unless a heavy one will be needed. Also, there will be a servo mechanism panning very very slowly each camera.

Under those circumstance, which mode is best, 1080i, 24p or 24F?

Is there a software to effectively compress and decompress HDV on the fly to MPEG4? If no, is there such hardware?

Whish MPEG4 codec will give the best compression, without any artifacts, to an almost stationary scene (stationary with an extremely slow panning)? What will be the bitrate?

You have a complex project. An HDV camcorder outputs "live" as 25 Mb/s MPeg2 over IEEE-1394 or uncompressed over HDMI. Both have limited cable length so a hardware encoder would be required at the camera position.

You might want to consider a high definition security type camera with pan/tilt and internal streaming network output. Some use wireless Ethernet.

This is just one example .. Sony BRC-H700 (3x 1/3" CCD w/12x optical zoom and autofocus)

http://www.communitech.com.au/proshop/show_product_details.php?catid=&products_id=500
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    Indeed, I have a complex project.
    Since the cameras will be mounted outdoors, unattended and since an automated servo mechanism for panning is required, the Sony BRC-H700, or a similar one, will be the proper solution. It does cost more than Canon HV20, however, this is the equipment that suits the task.

What hardware encoders may suit the job?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    Indeed, I have a complex project.
    Since the cameras will be mounted outdoors, unattended and since an automated servo mechanism for panning is required, the Sony BRC-H700, or a similar one, will be the proper solution. It does cost more than Canon HV20, however, this is the equipment that suits the task.

What hardware encoders may suit the job?
    I just offered that as an example. Other security type HD cameras have built in hardware encoders and networking. Best to consult a security camera expert.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    Any recommendations for hardware encoders?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    Any recommendations for hardware encoders?
    They are expensive now. New h.264 chips are hitting the market soon. Best to wait a few months.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    However, right now I have to present costs for a project to be implemented immediately.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    However, right now I have to present costs for a project to be implemented immediately.
    Get a security camera consultant. You aren't going to figure this out yourself. Each issue uncovers the next three issues.
    Quote Quote