VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reads and writes DVD's perfectly, writes CD's to virgin CD-R media, or add-on. However, will only read 50% of my archival photo cd's, (CD-R) all prepared on the same older Pioneer 112. I need to extract files from these and don't want to be running back to the older computer in another room.
    "Won't Read" means the drive acts as thought there is nothing in it, no matter how I attempt to open the files, they are just not displayed.
    Any ideas?? BTW, this computer and burner are brand-new - 1 month.
    Thanks,
    Abueloloco
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There was a huge recall on PIONEER 112 & 212 drives with problems regarding CD-R. Your 112 drive could have that defect. Do a google search on recall on PIONEER 112 drives. I had a defect with the 212 drive and all PIONEER did was repair it. The defect is reading/writing of CD-R discs. I have the link for the PIONEER form but I'm at work right now so do a search on google.

Another thing is what brand of CD-R discs are you using? Just curious.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Budz
    Thanks for the info. It might be cheaper for me to add a CD writer than return for repair, but I'll check the pioneer site.
    Hard to tell on brand as some disks are labelled, but there are some TDK, and some Staples house brand.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Budz:
    Was that the Pioneer Firmware update dated Dec 7 that you did, (DVR-212D_FW124EU2.EXE) or did you return it for repair?
    Regm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think I had the firmware 1.24 when I sent the drive back to PIONEER. I'll have to check that computer and let you know.

Unfortunately the brands of CD-R like TDK & STAPLES isn't considered good quality cd-r media.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Budz
    Reg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I checked my 212 and it does have the firmware 1.24. I'm assuming when PIONEER repaired my drive it flashed it to the latest firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, budz:
    how did you find the firmware version?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got it! I'm already on 1.24 Ugh!
    Reg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can burn CD-R with it then you have a fully working drive and just that problematic discs were burned badly or crapped out over the time.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Chef:
    Thanks for that. I can still read them on the drive they were burnt on, so it is probably one of those two problems, so...I'll just take the data off on computer 2 and take it to co uter 1 and re-burn on the newer drive.
    thanks,
    Reg
    Quote Quote