VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone.

I have 30 photos that were scanned high resolution on my scanner. They are nice and clear. Now, I am posting on a site on INTERNET that requires small files. So I need to take these photos from high resolution (huge files) to a low resolution (tiny files).

Some of the photos are in color and others are in black and white. I want all the photos to be in low resolution and in black and white ..........but clear images - if possible. How do I do this? I don't want to go thru the mess of locating the original photos and re-scanning at a lower resolution.

Thank you.

Bryan Kendall
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have photoshop or similar ?

if not, look at irfanview as a free alternative. Should do what you want.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your reply. I am sorry I don't have photoshop or anything similar.

But what is at irfanview? Where do I find it. Is it freeware?

Bryan Kendall
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The freeware Irfanview can also do batch conversions. That's how I convert photos for internet posting. It's under 'File>Batch Conversion/Rename'.You can set the format and the size and rename them all in one step. Click 'Advanced settings' in the 'Batch Conversion' menu for more setting options.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I found irfanview. Thank you. Now how do I use this software for my images that were scanned high resolution from photos (huge files) to......................

a) Go from a color image to black and white image

b) Go from a high resolution image (huge file) to a low resolution image (small file)

I really am a klutz with this sort of thing. Could you give me a "how to do it for the complete idiot"? Assume my head is of wood.

Thank you.

bryan kendall
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use the batch processing as described. In the Advanced menu there, check the 'Convert to greyscale' box for B+W conversion. Also click 'RESIZE' and enter the size you want. 640 X 480 is one choice. Or you can set by inches or CMs. You can also reduce the COLOR DEPTH if you want to make the file size smaller and leave them in color .....or not.

I change them from about one 1MB down to about 40K filesize. But 100K is probably better, depending on how big you want them for downloading or quicker display.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!
    For me PhotoViewerPro 3.5.1 has been pretty usefull to increase the resolution of my pictures, It makes them look really sharp.
    Quote Quote