VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Ok I'll try to explain because this is quite long and probably complex.
    I had 2 sources that I need to combine into 1 DVD.
    First source was 2 AVI files produced by my digital camera.
    Second source was 1 DV tape produced by a sony camcorder.

For the first source files, I used SVCD2DVD which produced a DVD (VOB and everything) for me.
    I used this VOB and demux it using DVDLab Pro. Now I have 2 sets of mpv and mpa. The mpa
    files have the same bitrate (don't remember, around 1500) but the mpv bitrates are different:
    first one was around 7070 and the second one was only 7015 or something like that.

For the second source file, I used a hardware... sony dvdirect vc30, which produced a
    semi-working DVD. It spat out 5 VOB files, where the first VOB was not playable by any player
    or recognized by DVDLab Pro... DVDLab Pro said something about wrong header.
    So I used Total Video Converter program to convert the last 4 VOB files to MPEG where they
    were then converted to mpv and mpa by DVDLab Pro. I specified Total Video Converter to
    use 7000 for the bitrate but the result was about 6700. I don't know why.

Now I have 3 sets of mpv and mpa. I thought "Great." so I used DVDLab Pro to combine
    them all and compile into a DVD. So I did and I burnt it. The result:
    First chapter (from first source's AVI) -- flawless.
    Second chapter (from first source's AVI) -- video problem after 40 seconds in... audio is ok
    Tried on 2 different DVD Players -- same problem. Tried on Sony DVD Player -- no problems
    were noticed.
    Third chapter (from second source's DV tape) -- audio problem after 10-15 seconds in... video is ok
    Tried on 2 different DVD Players -- same problem. Tried on Sony DVD Player -- audio is ok but
    video is too fast.

So I went back to DVDLab Pro and split them into 3 menus (previously 1 menu)... the result:
    No difference than above.

So in conclusion, I have 2 problems:
    1) Audio problem on second chapter
    2) Video is too fast on the third chapter -- what software slows down a video?

Any help?
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Instead of import separate vobs directly in dvd-lab pro try vob2mpg on the dvd source or use PgcDemux to make one mpa,mpv(and not one for every vob). And don't reconvert anything with total video converter.

But I would use a separate encoder and convert the avi to mpeg2(HC Encoder ) with ac3 audio(Aften). Then author with dvd-lab pro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seems a grossly over-complicated procedure for what should be a reasonably simple process.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But I would use a separate encoder and convert the avi to mpeg2(HC Encoder ) with ac3 audio(Aften). Then author with dvd-lab pro
    Are you suggesting to use these 2 softwares to process the AVI (source 1 and 2) files?
    Ok I'll read up on those two (on how to use them).

What about the third source file, which is a dvd-set file (IFO, VOB etc)... but the first
    VOB has an incompatible 'header' which DVDLab Pro, VOC2MPG, Total Video Converter, or even
    VLC player could not recognize... only Total Video Converter can process separate
    VOB and turn them into individual AVI files (or MPG).

How would you do the third source file?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with Baldrick. Use vob2mpg to create 3 separate mpg files.

Feed each mpg through vcdgear.
    Select 'mpg -> mpg' with 'Fix MPEG Errors' ticked
    Details in the GUI version manual vcdgear355.zip

You might also try PVAStrumento (make ps) to fix the problems, although I havn't had a lot of luck with it.

Probably turn out that you have to do a combination of both.

Edit:-
    I think I may be in error with VCDGear. I ran a test on an mpeg2 that I know is bad and got nowhere.
    I HAVE used VCDGear before. After looking at the results I'm not sure if I was previously using it on MPEG1 or MPEG2. I may have led you astray. If it works for you, fine. Please don't pursue it. I feel it will be a waste of time.
    Quote Quote