VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    Hope this is the correct section. I have just brought a pioneer DVR-115 to work alongside my Pioneer DVR-112.

I previously had an old Pioner 104 working with the 112, but the 104 only worked with -R/RWs and i wanted something to cope with +R/RW.

the issue i have is that i have connected the 115 into my PC and it is just not recognized by windows i guess. If i go to "My Computer" the 112 shows in the "Devices with Removable Storage" but the 115 does not.

If i disconnect the 112, then the 115 becomes available in "My Computer"

Does anyone have any idea what i am doing wrong? Any advise would be great.
    Thanks
    James
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just a guess but did you set the master/slave jumper on the new drive to match the one you removed?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the reply, all i did was disconnect the IDE cable from the back of the old drive and plug it into the new drive.

When i booted my PC after that, i didn't get the normal "new hardware found" message or anything.

How would i go about checking if i set the master/slave jumper correctly?

i have looked in the BIOS when both drives are connected and the secondary IDE Slave, which is where i'd expect the DVR-112 to be connected shows nothing installed.

Would that mean a dodgy IDE cable?

I can use either drive if i disconnect one of them, i.e if the 115 is connected to the secondary IDE master and the 11 is not connected at all, then i can use the 115.
    if i connect the 112 to the secondary IDE slave and disconect the 115 from the master, i can use the 112 drives. Just can't use them together.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    on the back of all drives are a series of pins next to the power connector. where the jumper is in those pins determines if the drive is master or slave. you can only have one of each. if they are both master or both slave on the same cable neither will work properly. you will need to remove them to see the small pins and jumper. there should be a label on the top of each drive showing where to put the jumper to change the setting.

the drive on the end of the cable should be master and the drive in the middle set to slave.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read the piece of paper that came with the drive. It usually has info on the jumpers.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    make sure you're using a 80 wire ide cable with the PIONEER drives. it's recommended by them to use it. set the jumper settings as already mentioned. if you don't use a 80 wire ide cable the drives will not work correctly nor show up in windows correctly as well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    It was the jumper as suggested.
    Both drives are now working spot on.

Thanks again
    James
    Quote Quote  
  8. > if you don't use a 80 wire ide cable the drives will not work correctly nor show up in windows correctly as well.

Uh, not true at all, unless I'm just imagining that my Pio 111 works with my Intel 945 board .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by obs
    > if you don't use a 80 wire ide cable the drives will not work correctly nor show up in windows correctly as well.

Uh, not true at all, unless I'm just imagining that my Pio 111 works with my Intel 945 board .
    Never said a PIONEER 111 won't work with a INTEL 945 board!
    I've used a 40 wire ide cable with my PIONEER 111 & 112 drives and the drives will not work correctly. Switched to 80 wire ide cable no problem!

Directly from the PIONEER WEBSITE regarding using 80 wire ide cable.
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/317742582FAQs_DVR-111D-710.pdf

10) What type of ribbon cable should be use to connect the drive to a PC?
    There are two types of ribbon cables normally available: a standard 40 conductor cable, and a UDMA 80 conductor cable. Pioneer recommends the UDMA 80 conductor type of cable for proper performance of the DVR-111D or the DVR-710 drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, counts for any Pioneer burner since the DVR-109/XL!
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote