VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I apoligize if this question has already been asked/answered, but anywhoo I was just wondering if at current prices its cheaper to build an HTPC with an LG HD DVD/Blu-Ray combo drive than purchase a standalone Blu-Ray or HDDVD player. Maybe not HD DVD since they recently came down in price. I like the idea of playing both formats as well rather than just buying a drive of one or the other.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's not cheaper to build an HTPC right now to do this. The requirement to have HDMI on your video card for full resolution HD DVD/BluRay output to TV adds to the cost. Note though that NONE of the currently available BluRay standalone players support BD specification 2.0 (that's not the exact name, but it's close) and only the PS3 is expected to be able to be updated to support it. You read that correctly. NONE of the currently available standalone BluRay players will be able to support the final BluRay 2.0 specification, rendering those players useless for such discs. Since software BluRay players would surely be able to support the 2.0 spec when it's available, I'd advise going the HTPC route even if it's not cheaper.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using some of the new motherboards that have integrated HDMI, audio, SPDIF, etc you can build a good HD capable HTPC on the cheap. An HTPC will always offer so much more flexibility and features than any standalone player.
    Quote Quote