VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I am a bit amateur when it comes to video editing and I have been asked to edit a video for a friend. The clips I have (that are supposed to be HD?) open in quicktime which tells me the video is : DVCPRO50 720x480 (853 x 480) millions. Data Rate 57.55mbits/s Actual size 853 x 480.

I have always worked in 720x480 DV so this is new to me and I want to know which Final Cut Pro sequence preference to use while editing so things are not distorted when I export. Also why is it set to 853 x 480? Should it not be either a 4:3 ratio or a 16:9? 853 seems like such a random number.

The final output of these videos will be compressed down for the web and burnt to a dvd for tv viewing. I want to make sure I set my preferences correctly from the start of this project so that I dont end up at the end with a product I cant use. I am really hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess what I really need to know is if 853 x 480 should be set to a preset of 720 x 480 (4:3) or 720 x 480 (16:9) or something totally different. Any advice is welcomed and much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it is the square pixel representation of 720 x 480 16:9
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where is this commonly used? Why wouldnt someone either shoot in wide screen or 720 x 480 4:3? If I am to use these clips for editing would I set my file up as 720 x 480 anamorphic? Using Square pixels?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your project would be 720 x 480 Anamorphic (16:9). Don't way about the 853 x 480 reference. That is how it will appear on playback only. You have standard definition footage. It may have come from a pro level camera, but it is definitely SD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could it have been shot in HD and captured in DVCPRO50 format? Or would logic dictate that it was shot and then captured as DVCPRO50 clips.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could have been. Quite a few HD cameras will output SD DV over firewire. The original footage may have been HD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To correct this would the footage have to been captured using some kind of HD preset? How does one go about making sure HD footage is transfered properly?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there's a firewire setting in the cam to export HD or SD.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote