VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I have a .ts (H.264) recorded from OTA HD program.
    When I play back the recorded files, I can turn on and off the subtitle using the recording software.
    I want to re-encode the file using a lower bitrate and put the subtitle back to the final MKV.
    The only working program that I can find is ProjectX, but even though I selected .srt as the output format it can only output .sup & .ifo.
    Does anyone know of any tools that can output .srt from a .ts?
    The characters (Chinese not English) from the .sup (I later converted it to .sub) look different than the ones I see in the recording software, so I think the subtitle is text-based and thus should be able to be extracted out from the .ts.
    TIA

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    then convert .sup to srt..................
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Check if there are any text tv based subtitles on the channel you recorded and add that text tv page to projectx settings. However the subtitles may also be image based which may be the reason why projectx only outputs as sup format.

Here in Sweden I can record SDTV channels with text-tv based subtitles (and MPEG-2 video) but the HD channel I can record use only image based subtitles (and h.264 video).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by [_chef_
    ]then convert .sup to srt..................
    But doing that will require OCR, which is not very accurate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ronnylov
    Check if there are any text tv based subtitles on the channel you recorded and add that text tv page to projectx settings. However the subtitles may also be image based which may be the reason why projectx only outputs as sup format.

Here in Sweden I can record SDTV channels with text-tv based subtitles (and MPEG-2 video) but the HD channel I can record use only image based subtitles (and h.264 video).
    How do I check if there are any text tv based subtitles on the channel?
    I suspect it is text based not image based because the characters/fonts from the .sup looks different than the ones I see when playback the video using the recording software.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    TS subtitles are completely different from what standard definition TV uses. I haven't found anything that can deal with them. You might go to the Subtitles forum over at http://www.doom9.net and ask. They have some very smart people over there who might have some good suggestions for you. I don't know of anyone here who regularly posts who knows how to deal with HDTV subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I just open the text-tv viewer window with DVBViewer and look for information regarding subtitling on the channel I want to record. I can even watch recorded text tv by opening the ts file. Here in Sweden they often use text-tv page 199 for subtitles. You also have to make sure that the texttv stream are recorded into the TS file. Look for settings in your rcording software. However on the HD channel I can record, there are no text-tv service at all and onöy image based DVB subtitles are used instead. I have yet not tried to extract the imaged based subtitles but I can see them in DVBViewer when watching recorded HDTV.

Maybe they use some kind of different system where you live. Here in Europe digital TV are sent with DVB standard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If possible & anabled, the TS will contain everything from the stream.

In europe DVB-S and DVB-S2 is standard for digital TV & radio via satellite.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a similar problem with projectX when I started to record movies on French DVB-T. If ProjectX does not output SRT or other text based subtitles, it means that there are not any. In France there are graphics based subtitles. I ask ProjectX to output Sup and Son Formats. Sup is convenient to display the subtitles stream with SupViewer and determine the nature of the subtitles streams when there are several ones. The Son format which comes with a main text file and a bunch of bmps (one for each subtitle) can be inputed in authoring softwares (especially DVDLab which is the one I use).
    All problems are not easily solved, though. Colour problems I have not yet completely solved. But this is another story.

Gabier
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well there are some srt's floating around which seem to have been ocr'ed from data streams - so perhaps it is a matter of time. The EU dictated all broadcasters must changed to digital by 2012, so as more and more people come over there must be some programmers among them
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ALUOp
    The only working program that I can find is ProjectX, but even though I selected .srt as the output format it can only output .sup & .ifo.
    Does anyone know of any tools that can output .srt from a .ts?
    Hey ALUop how do you even manage to output the sup? This program has the weirdest interface i've seen
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by branch
    Hey ALUop how do you even manage to output the sup? This program has the weirdest interface i've seen
    yes, ProjectX's interface is not quite straightforward, but once you know how to use it, it is the only program I know which can cut, demux and check DVB ts streams.

In order to get sup output, go to the presettings menu --> Presettings, then the Subtitles tab, and in the bottom you can choose 2 subtitle formats. These will be applied if applicable.

Gabier
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But applied how?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the output folder, you should find (if you choose SUP format), in addition to the m2v and mp2 files, a ".sup" file and a ".sup.IFO" file.

My experience is limited to ts streams with graphical subtitles. I don't know what happens if text subtitles are present).

gabier
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But when I do what?

Press "quickstart" or "prepare" or ?

The log lists "Teletext" and "subpict" in the log, but nothing is output except the .ts file (a copy).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1) you enter the location of your TS stream in the bottom panel (src, filename, ...). This is done by pressing the + button.

2) you enter your output folder's location by pressing the + button which is at the right of the bottom line entitled "Output directory".

3) you can cut beginning and end of the movie or even ads, but this is not mandatory. You will find how to do this by positionning yourself in the movie by the buttons >, >> or >>>, and pressing the + of the panel entitled "number of points". You can then save the cutpoints.

4) click on "Quickstart".

That's all.

Gabier
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok then,

Thanks a lot for your help Gabier
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gabier
    All problems are not easily solved, though. Colour problems I have not yet completely solved.
    Hi,

I would like to know if there's been some progress with this difficulty to convert DVB subtitles to a format that can be used with DivX/Xvid or DVD formats.
    I can change the colours easyly with DVDSubedit or Supviewer but the problem is the outline.

I mean, I demux the DVB subtitles with ProjectX, then I manipulate the resulting SUP with one of those programs,
    but for the moment I didn't manage to get a sup or idx/sub file that is watchable. If I change the colors to white, or yellow, for instance, the white or yellow are too strong because I can get a fat black outline for them.

Has anyone managed to convert the DVB image subtitles to another image format, like sup or idx/vob, with watchable results?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Hi!

2 years later, but I'm having the same problem

I can demux the DVB subs from a .ts; I get 4 files:

.sup
    .sup.idx
    .sup.IFO
    .sup.sub

but they look ugly when I mux, for example, to a .mkv

When I play the .ts directy and I choose the subs, they look fine. Is there any way to keep this look&feel when demuxed? Which are the key settings in ProjectX > PreSettings > subtitle?

Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Should depend on the muxing/transcoding > mkv tool, shouldn't it?!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by [_chef_] View Post
    Should depend on the muxing/transcoding > mkv tool, shouldn't it?!
    Hello [_chef_],

Well, I'm using mkvmerge, but I'm not sure if it's this program's fault: once the subs are demuxed, they also look strange with SupViewer, strange palette and the characters are too bold, with thick outlines that also make very difficult to OCR them to .srt

Apart from projectx, do you recommend other tools for demuxing DVB subs from the .ts?

And maybe do you recommend another tool to mux them into the MKV?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Old thread I know, but did anyone get to the bottom of this issue?

I used the latest version of Project X on a DVB-S (.ts) movie with subtitles that are defintiely NOT text i.e. (cannot go straight to .srt; file info according to VLC) and it made me .sup files. When I looked at these in supview, they looked awful.

I also eventually got sub/idx files with ProjectX, but when I used sub2srt, the OCR was truly awful.

What are people currently using?

k.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by [_chef_] View Post
    then convert .sup to srt..................
    Hi

I wanted to post this as I see there are many other people who don't know how to get subtitles out of TS files. I browsed a lot of forums and posts until I FINALLY found the simple solution.

For a start, not all digital TV stations broadcast the subtitles, but if you've recorded a movie and you've seen the subtitles on the screen at the time, then they will be in the TS file.

Some other people here have mentioned ProjectX, giving it a bad rap and saying it is difficult to use, and that it doesn't export SRT files. Both are INCORRECT. In less than a minute it will export the SRT from a 4GB movie.

Download ProjectX and then follow these simple steps :

DONT make any cuts to the TS file (yet), as information at the start of the recording is required to extract the subs and align them.

1. In ProjectX, under "Pre-settings -> Subtitles", check one of the Unicode output options (e.g. UTF-8 or UTF-16) (either will work)
    2. under "teletext pages to decode", choose 801 (for Australia) (Type this in, as it's not in the drop down menu)
    3. choose your subtitle export format (SRT is reportedly the only one reliable across all channels)
    4. under that select txt.

Demux your recording into video (MPEG-2), audio (usually MP2 for SD), and subtitles (the format chosen above). If you just want the subtitles decheck everything except subtitles.

Summary:
    1. Set the subtitle format to decode: SRT and text
    2. Click on Output and select all stream types to process
    3. Close window
    4. Click on Process > Prepare
    5. Click on Action: and select demux and close window
    6. Click on File > Add and browse to the subfolder where the *.ts file is stored and select the *.ts file

You will notice that the preview window now changes to the first frame in the imported file.
    7. Click on Process > QuickStart

If you aren't sure whether there are any subs in a particular TS, open the file in ProjectX and click on it in the display list below the viewing screen area. The details will then be displayed in the viewing area. If there are subtitles, it will state that there is a video PID, an entry for the subtitles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ProjectX.jpg
Views:	8365
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	6977

It will export the files to the same folder of the original file.

NOW you can make a COPY of the TS file and trim the start and end if you want, and then use a subtitle editing program such as Subtitle Edit or Subsync to change the start times and synch the subtitles.

If you coose to remove advertisements, you'll need to do a lot of aligning of the subtitles though.

Thats it. Good luck, and I hope I've made this simple for everyone once and for all.
    Last edited by ITMan; 25th May 2011 at 23:11. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding Australian TV then you can save yourself a lot of problems re-syncing the subtitles later by doing all the editing to cut out commercials in ProjectX and right from the beginning of the file. You will end up with a video, audio and subtitle (srt) set of tracks.

The Topfield and Beyonwiz community have been doing this for years. Under my signature is a wiki on setting up ProjectX (the version is a tad old but nothing has changed regarding the settings) In the original post 2008 I was fascinated that he had a H264 file loaded... ProjectX is not supposed to support H264?????????

Regarding this comment
    DONT make any cuts to the TS file (yet), as information at the start of the recording is required to extract the subs and align them.
    I assume he means before loading the file into ProjectX as it doesn't matter if you place a cut right at the beginning of your file (ie in a top and tail process like one would do for non commercial stations) as long as you are doing it in ProjectX. Been doing that for 4 years now..

To remux the separate video and audio tracks there are many programs available to do this - MPEGStreamclip can be used if you point it to where the video and audio tracks are located and select the video file, MPEGStreamclip will pick up the audio and you can then save it as a MPEG2 file. You have the srt file from the ProjectX process and as there hasn't been any post editing all will be in-sync. If you want to make a mkv file then you could embed the srt within it as a selectable subtitle assuming your media player can accommodate that format. The Popcorn C200 does but neither the Topfield or Beyonwiz will. You have to keep the subtitle track in the same folder as the MPEG2 file.
    Last edited by netmask56; 26th May 2011 at 01:05. Reason: expansion of subject
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding this comment

[/QUOTE]I assume he means before loading the file into ProjectX as it doesn't matter if you place a cut right at the beginning of your file (ie in a top and tail process like one would do for non commercial stations) as long as you are doing it in ProjectX. Been doing that for 4 years now..

I have been using HD2MPEG to make cuts in TS files as it is so light on the processor and does a good job with a simple interface. It was only recently that I became interested in retaining subtitles. Thanks for your post - I'll give ProjectX a go for the cutting as well
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ITMan View Post

Some other people here have mentioned ProjectX, giving it a bad rap and saying it is difficult to use,
    This is opinion and can't be dismissed with INCORRECT.

and that it doesn't export SRT files. Both are INCORRECT.
    This on the other hand is factual and can.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by branch View Post

Some other people here have mentioned ProjectX, giving it a bad rap and saying it is difficult to use,
    This is opinion and can't be dismissed with INCORRECT.

and that it doesn't export SRT files. Both are INCORRECT.
    This on the other hand is factual and can.

The discussion of semantics has nothing to do with the topic at hand and just makes for extra reading for those who are looking for help quickly. Everyone knows people here express opinions - in fact, most things are simply opinions, based on experence, so are subjective. People take whtever they want out of the information in these posts and use it to suit their needs.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope the programmers of ProjectX take the information that their project could be a bit more userfriendly.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Another note when dealing with teletext subtitles in projectX is that I must enable the option to sync the timecodes of the subtitles with the audio stream, otherwise the srt extraction will not work for me. Anyway nowadays it seems that many channels here in Sweden have moved to subtitles embedded into the video picture, not a separate stream. I do not know why, maybe they think it looks better. Even if it makes the video processing easier I prefer video with selectable subtitles and not hardcoded into the picture...
    Ronny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Australia any non English subs are burnt in - only English subs are encoded in teletext page 801 and really are for the hard of hearing although they are standard subs with no sound fx descriptions etc.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote