VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Any advantage of one over the other for burning video dvds?

I'm in the market for a burner and uncertain which interface to purchase. One prerequisite is it must do bitsetting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. None.
    Samsung has both, bitsets, and works well.
    Sony DRX-840U (IDE or USB2) is my suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No advantage for burning with SATA, AFAIK, but the cables are easier to route and you don't have jumpers to set.

I think they also would perform well in a external enclosure with a eSATA connection to the PC. No USB or FireWire interfaces or problems to deal with.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sata and Eide are both good. I run both, but remember to get Sata cables with clips. The friction only ones have a tendancy of coming lose. I do prefer edie for my burners, but anymore, I use my duplicator box which is all eide and usb.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With today's hard drive mechanical technology, SATA only has advantage for external application. PATA is sufficient unless faster access from the disk cache is important (e.g. for servers).

For DVD burning you will be running well within the PATA ATA100 spec.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only CON I have to offer is if you're going with a SATA DVD Burner make sure your SATA controller on your motherboard is compatible. INTEL ICH7/8/9 chipset controllers will work with SATA drives, NVIDIA will work only if you use the latest drivers from their website and VIA chipset will not work. The only work around would be to buy a SATA PCI CONTROLLER card that has the SILICON IMAGE 3112/3114 chipset for a SATA DVD Burner. Older motherboards that have SATA ports were specifically made for hard drives and not optical drives. So if your motherboard is more than I'd say 3-4 yrs old the SATA DVD Burner may not work. But you can use a SATA PCI CONTROLLER Card that has the SILICON IMAGE 3112/3114 chipset.

Sure the SATA cables are easy to manage but there is a lot more to just buying a SATA DVD burner and installing it into a pc. BIOS of the motherboards will need adjustments as well. So if you want the easy way out just get a PATA IDE DVD Burner. But with most newer motherboards today there is only 1 IDE connection. Good luck on your choice!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Something which puts me off buying SATA drives, my old PC (which I use for backup) doesn't support SATA. With IDE I can swap drives between PCs at any time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's a new Asrock socket 775 mobo using the intel 945 chipset.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kenmo
    It's a new Asrock socket 775 mobo using the intel 945 chipset.
    If this is the motherboard that you have:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157113

Then your motherboard uses the ICH7 chipset so therefore you should be okay. But remember you'll have to disable RAID in your motherboard BIOS. Read your manual carefully.

Get the SAMSUNG S203B drive from newegg.com, $30.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151153
    Quote Quote  
  10. > I think they also would perform well in a external enclosure with a eSATA connection to the PC.

You don't even need the enclosure for an optical drive, since they're pretty well enclosed as it is . Just get a power brick + SATA to eSATA cable. Save some $$.
    Quote Quote  
  11. SATA will definitely make a big difference when burning DVD's at higher speeds.On my old machine (ULTRA IDE) the buffer would underrun on burns faster than about 10x.The new machine burned at 16x without a single dip in the buffer before I added RAID.
    A good rule of thumb is if you've made it to thirty-five and your job still requires you to wear a name tag, you've made a serious vocational error. Dennis Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tundra Trout
    SATA will definitely make a big difference when burning DVD's at higher speeds.On my old machine (ULTRA IDE) the buffer would underrun on burns faster than about 10x.The new machine burned at 16x without a single dip in the buffer before I added RAID.
    You had an IDE error/issue. That's not typical.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SATA will definitely make a big difference when burning DVD's at higher speeds.On my old machine (ULTRA IDE) the buffer would underrun on burns faster than about 10x.The new machine burned at 16x without a single dip in the buffer before I added RAID.
    My buffer doesn't underrun with IDE either even at 16x (secondary/master/UDMA2). Only once has it ever underrrun and that was when the source file drive dropped to PIO mode for some as yet unexplained reason.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, wrong thought.
    UDMA4 mode already is fast enough for 20x dvd burns.
    Your old setup had problems...
    Quote Quote