VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to convert high def videos (MKVs are the first I've encountered) to a format usable by the newly expanded format list of the PS3. (and then later down to that of a dvd)

I use super and can't find a combination that doesn't desync the audio and video of these MKV files (yes played on the pc, and yes the original is synced). I've tried mostly divx and mpg2 (formats that have high res,and supports ac3 for the 6 channel). I've also tried mp3 audio and extremely low video bit rates just to eliminate those possibilitys.

This post is for advice before I semi-randomly go through conversion how-tos and a dozen other programs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your answers will depend on your source's specific video, audio and container.

If you want to determine more accurate information, I suggest you use mediainfo on your source video

I'm going to guess that you have x264 encoded video with 5.1 AC3 audio in mkv container. If you don't want to re-encode (and lose quality) one option would be to use mkv2vob.

Another option would be avidemux (use mp4 for container, use "copy" for video stream, but you have to re-encode audio to 5.1 AAC, because AC3 is incompatible in mp4 container)

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yea That info program is cool in the sense that its got a file context menu entry. But it produced the same report i get from super: ...I'll experement with vob and the other progs if need be and let you know what i find. ... it might be a while Whats the x264 mean anyway?.

General #0
    Incomplete name : Z:\S03E01.720p.HDTV.x264.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    File size : 549 MiB
    PlayTime : 27mn 25s
    Bit rate : 2798 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2007-08-21 03:26:27
    Writing application : mkvmerge v2.0.2 ('You're My Flame') built on Apr 26 2007 10:34:00
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video #0
    Codec : MPEG-4 AVC
    Codec/Info : MPEG4 ISO advanced profile
    PlayTime : 27mn 24s
    Width : 1280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Aspect ratio : 16/9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Language : English

Audio #0
    Codec : AC3
    Codec/Info : Dolby AC3
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Sampling rate : 48 KHz
    Language : English
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    x.264 is an encoding tool to create h.264 video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X.264
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mkv2vob worked out pretty well. I had to find alternates to some of the mkv files, but i got it eventually. I'm surprised to see that neither nero or super recognize these vob files, however. Which means I've yet to successfully down scale them to dvd quality. Soon I'll give the avidemux a try, when time permits. , Thanks
    Quote Quote