VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I know I will be told to ditch this app and go with Avisynth, but I like this way and it works for me...well it did anyway.So if I could just get replies on fixing this issue until it is determined I need to go with Avisynth route.

After running .VOB files through DGMPGDec and getting the .d2v file, I run that through VFAPI Reader.Only the resulting 'dummy .avi file' (which would then be loaded into Vdub) is empty.
    Can anyone tell me why this might be happening? I did nothing to the VFAPI Reader files.It just all of a sudden had this issue.If I click a zillion times on the 'convert' button, it seems to start working but it takes ages.Way way longer than it should take.I don't even wait for a resulting dummy file.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone?
    Maybe someone can then help me with using Avisynth in the same way VFAPI Reader worked?
    I tried reading on Avisynth but I did not see anything teaching you on frameserving.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi-
    Maybe someone can then help me with using Avisynth in the same way VFAPI Reader worked?
    You'll be better off learning how to do it using AviSynth anyway. The VFAPI method is old, obsolete, and produces inferior results. Read the 3 excellent docs included in the DGMPGDec package as they'll tell you all you'll need to know. Also, read up at the avisynth.org site. Make the D2V, and stick these 2 lines (adjusted for your names and paths) into an .avs, a renamed .txt file you might call Video.avs:

LoadPlugin("C:\Path\To\DGDecode.dll")
    MPEG2Source("C:\Path\To\Video.d2v")

This assumes an MPG or VOB (DVD) source. Make the D2V using DGIndex and use the DGDecode.dll, both from the same DGMPGDec package. Don't mix and match. Open it in VDubMod, one of the other VDub varients, or in most encoders as you would any video or even a VFAPI. You can even drag-and-drop. It's best to test a script in some version of VDub as if something's wrong with the script you'll get an understandable error message. Many other encoders will just reject a bad script without telling you why, or not reject it but not produce anything useable. That's a very basic script. Read up on the filtering at the AviSynth site - how to crop, resize, denoise, etc..

Then go ahead and configure whatever has to be configured before doing the encoding. You were a little light on the specifics of what you wanted to do.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply.

What I am trying to do is work with avisynth since that VFAPI is old news.
    I'm just not clear on what to use when typing out the strings.
    When I would use VFAPI, it would make the dummy .avi and I would throw it in VDub and use VDub to either crop, resize, or any other type of filter.It is my understanding that using avisynth makes encoding faster?

See.Normally I would use the guide HERE but it seems to take ages.I feel much longer than it should.I have read that using avisnth is quicker (maybe I am misunderstanding the meaning of quicker? )

I read avisynth site but while it tells you what filters do what, it doesn't show you how to write them out in notepad.

EDIT:
    To be clear.All I want to do is convert DVD to a nice XviD at full resolution be it 720x390 or 720x404 .. etc... and crop as needed and make sure framerate is correct of course.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi-
    It is my understanding that using avisynth makes encoding faster?
    Depending on the source, and if you do all filtering within AviSynth and encode using Fast Recompress in VDub (not Full Processing), up to around 35% faster. Here's more about that from the AviSynth YV12 FAQ:
    What will be the main advantages of processing in YV12?
    speed increase:
    That depends entirely on the external plugins whether they will have YV12 support or not. Speed increases like 25-35 percent are expected. Of course there will only be a large speed increase if both your source and target are in YV12, for example in DVD to DivX/Xvid conversions.
    no color conversions:
    The colour information doesn't get interpolated (so often) and thus stays more realistic.
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/FAQ_YV12

As far as I'm concerned, that guide to which you linked is worse than useless.
    To be clear.All I want to do is convert DVD to a nice XviD at full resolution be it 720x390 or 720x404 .. etc... and crop as needed and make sure framerate is correct of course.
    You could let AutoGK do the entire job for you, until you get the hang of writing scripts yourself. You could open the D2V in Gordian Knot and do the cropping and resizing in there and then use the script it makes for you to open in VDub(Mod) and then set up the encode yourself. You could use some of the third party apps such as AVSEdit to help with your scripts. Me, when making AVIs, I do the cropping and resizing in Gordian Knot and then encode myself.

A simple script with a crop and resize might look something like this:

LoadPlugin("C:\Path\To\DGDecode.dll")
    MPEG2Source("E:\Path\To\Video.d2v")
    Crop(2,58,0,-62)
    LanczosResize(624,256)

The cropping goes around clockwise beginning at the left side. I cropped 2 from the left, 58 from the top, nothing from the right, and 62 from the bottom. It's from a widescreen 4:3 DVD. It was wider than 2.35:1.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like AutoGK but one thing I don't like is the resolution results.
    I find that it will make a movie example; 16:9 (1.78:1) result in 720×4xx creating the wrong AR.Now if it would allow you to chose height, then I could see using it more.But I think I, like many just want more control so these one click apps just lack some things we really like having control over.

I have tried AVSEdit but find it didnt start off like scripts I see with the leading LoadPlugin("C:\Path\To\DGDecode.dll") and/or LoadPlugin("C:\Path\To\Decomb.dll")
    So not seeing that kinda confused me on whether or not it is to be used.

Thanks again for the reply.Your being very helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi-
    I find that it will make a movie example; 16:9 (1.78:1) result in 720×4xx creating the wrong AR.
    Nope, not at all. It's probably doing a better job at the AR than you are following that guide. And it also gives you Mod16 resolutions (which that guide definitely does not). Mod16 means the resolutions are divisible by 16, as they should be. If you have a true 1.78:1 movie, and the Mod16 resolution it chooses might have an AR error, AutoGK will crop into the active video by a few more pixels in order to remove the error. If you're so worried about an error or by further cropping, choose a width that allows for a Mod16 height without further cropping. In the case of a true 1.78:1 video, go for 624, and you should get back 624x352. It doesn't allow you to choose the height so you don't have any chance to screw it up.

I just mentioned AVSEdit as it's well thought of. I've never used it or any of the others. Maybe someone else will see this and recommend one they like to use.
    So not seeing that kinda confused me on whether or not it is to be used.
    Right, it may be assuming (or recommend it in its documentation) that you already put all the DLLs in the AviSynth Plugins folder. Then you don't have to have a LoadPlugin line for them, as they're supposed to be loaded automatically. You can just go ahead and use those filters.
    Quote Quote