VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 61 to 85 of 85
Thread
  1. I added a Pioneer DVR-115, IDE, and it works perfectly... One thing I noticed, and wasn't sure if it mattered or not, but both IDE drives are recognized as "DVD-RW" drives, however the SATA is recognized as a "CD-ROM"...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Thats just great, guess I should have read up on this problem before I bought it, oh well back to IDE until I upgrade my sys. I'll save the 203N.

    yeah just bought me one too, just hope overnight will get it tomorrow (unlikely)...

    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    Originally Posted by gcam
    Here's my setup:

    MSI K8MM3-V MOBO VIA chipset (firmware current)
    AMD Sempron 754 2800 (1.6ghz) < I know too slow, upgrading soon
    1.5gb RAM
    500gb SATA Maxtor
    2x250gb Maxtors

    Will try posted help and see what happens

    G
    Your problem is that VIA chipset on your motherboard. It doesn't matter if you're using the current firmware/drivers for that VIA chipset. SATA dvd burners will not work correctly with VIA chipset. You'll have to use a PCI SATA CONTROLLER CARD w/the SILICON IMAGE 3112/3114 chipset in order for a SATA dvd burner to work correctly. This has been discussed in this thread before. It's also a well known fact with other forum sites such as CdFreaks.com.
    wonder why it took so long to freak out...

    thanks for info
    Quote Quote  
  4. DVD Ninja budz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    In the shadows.....
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gcam
    Originally Posted by budz
    Originally Posted by gcam
    Here's my setup:

    MSI K8MM3-V MOBO VIA chipset (firmware current)
    AMD Sempron 754 2800 (1.6ghz) < I know too slow, upgrading soon
    1.5gb RAM
    500gb SATA Maxtor
    2x250gb Maxtors

    Will try posted help and see what happens

    G
    Your problem is that VIA chipset on your motherboard. It doesn't matter if you're using the current firmware/drivers for that VIA chipset. SATA dvd burners will not work correctly with VIA chipset. You'll have to use a PCI SATA CONTROLLER CARD w/the SILICON IMAGE 3112/3114 chipset in order for a SATA dvd burner to work correctly. This has been discussed in this thread before. It's also a well known fact with other forum sites such as CdFreaks.com.
    wonder why it took so long to freak out...

    thanks for info
    SATA on older motherboards like the one you have were made for hard drives and not optical drives.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DVD Ninja budz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    In the shadows.....
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 1wheelken
    I added a Pioneer DVR-115, IDE, and it works perfectly... One thing I noticed, and wasn't sure if it mattered or not, but both IDE drives are recognized as "DVD-RW" drives, however the SATA is recognized as a "CD-ROM"...
    Because you never had the settings on your system & motherboard set correctly for your SATA dvd burner.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz

    SATA on older motherboards like the one you have were made for hard drives and not optical drives.
    I see, well thats what I get for keeping up with the times

    I'll keep the burner handy for the next sys...

    Thanks for the info.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    gcam: I had a CD Fly apart inside of a 52x drive. When it flew apart, the tray partially opened and shards of plastic came flying out and went about about 6 feet. I have since limited the speed on drives to 32x or 40x.

    Being able to burn one DVD and not a second unless you reboot, is a problem with Nero 7. I found that it was leaving processes running without reseting them after the first burn. This caused the second burn to fail. After I discovered the problem, I had to go in to Windows Task Manager to manually shut them down after each burn. I forget the specific names of the processes, but uninstalling Nero 7 should solve that problem. I don't remember Nero 7 effecting the use of other DVD burning software unless it was after burning a DVD with Nero, but it was interfering with a other software. Nero 7 has to be the worst piece of software I have seen in the last 30 years.

    I also have an MSI K8MM-V that I use as a DVR, but I use an IDE drive with it. I have never tried a SATA drive on it, and never plan to. A SATA DVD burner is a bad choice for this board because it only has 2 SATA connectors to begin with. Wasting one of them by using a slow optical drive on it does not make sense. I use my SATA connectors for 400GB hard drives that store only video. The hard drive with the operating system and other software is on one IDE connector, and the DVD burner is on the other IDE.

    I hope this helps. The IDE DVD is a good choice, but you will have the same problem until you uninstall Nero 7 and go back to 6 or use other software.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by budz
    Originally Posted by 1wheelken
    I added a Pioneer DVR-115, IDE, and it works perfectly... One thing I noticed, and wasn't sure if it mattered or not, but both IDE drives are recognized as "DVD-RW" drives, however the SATA is recognized as a "CD-ROM"...
    Because you never had the settings on your system & motherboard set correctly for your SATA dvd burner.
    I changed the setting from RAID to IDE in the BIOS, but I didn't see anything else I needed to change

    What should I look for I'm sorry if it was already mentioned but I don't recall any other setting suggestions...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    _chef_: You are correct about SATA not having Slave and Master drives as IDE does.

    However, 1wheelken's use of the term multitasking was correct. He was referring to running several different software applications on the same computer at the same time. Multi-threading is when a single job is divided between multiple CPU,s or CPU cores to use parallel processing for speeding up that single job.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    _chef_ said:
    @Billf2099,

    SATA has not MASTER nor SLAVE, regardless what some software tells you.

    Chef, that software would be the Windows operating system. On my motherboard the SATA devices are treated as IDE devices and having them as Master or Slave made HUGE differences on if they operate or not. When I loaded up XP with my SATA hard drive in the slave position after I moved it to a master the computer REFUSED to boot to that drive, despite preferences. That means it doesn't matter that in reality there is no Master or Slave relationship in the SATA specs, its how the hardware and software kludges it all up. With my SATA drives both on what XP and the motherboard call the Master spots everything it quite all right. Just because it works correctly on your system doesn't mean it works correctly on all systems and yes, my MB uses the silicon image chipset. The OS and MB in my system treat the SATA ports as IDE 3 and 4 with masters and slaves. My old computer also had SATA ports but I never ventured there as It also had 4 IDE channels. I'm not an early adopter so I didn't search out SATA the moment it came to life. On the current computer I was dismayed to find out it was limited to 150 on the SATA. Another strike against buying that brand again. But I got everything working despite the fact that it was a bit of a circus.

    I guess you don't know everything.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by seglertx
    gcam: I had a CD Fly apart inside of a 52x drive. When it flew apart, the tray partially opened and shards of plastic came flying out and went about about 6 feet. I have since limited the speed on drives to 32x or 40x.
    Yeah that was interesting, never had one blow up. This one did becasue it had a crack near the spindle and I was trying to read it, on the third try it popped

    Being able to burn one DVD and not a second unless you reboot, is a problem with Nero 7. I found that it was leaving processes running without reseting them after the first burn. This caused the second burn to fail. After I discovered the problem, I had to go in to Windows Task Manager to manually shut them down after each burn. I forget the specific names of the processes, but uninstalling Nero 7 should solve that problem. I don't remember Nero 7 effecting the use of other DVD burning software unless it was after burning a DVD with Nero, but it was interfering with a other software. Nero 7 has to be the worst piece of software I have seen in the last 30 years.
    You're right about that, I'm going back. Though the problem started with Nero 6, (installed 7 thinking 6 was the issue) then soon af ter I tried ImgBurn, and like before with Nero, first one good second one failed. I also tried DVD FAB platinum which doesnt have the Nero burning rom, but the VSO Burning engine. Though that one gave me two good ones then a burp.

    I also have an MSI K8MM-V that I use as a DVR, but I use an IDE drive with it. I have never tried a SATA drive on it, and never plan to. A SATA DVD burner is a bad choice for this board because it only has 2 SATA connectors to begin with. Wasting one of them by using a slow optical drive on it does not make sense. I use my SATA connectors for 400GB hard drives that store only video. The hard drive with the operating system and other software is on one IDE connector, and the DVD burner is on the other IDE.
    Its a good MB, I have two of the same, and I also have SATA HDs, this burner was a "hmm :P , faster, faster"....It didnt dawn on me until after these issues. Now instead of pulling hair, i can relax knowing that it had issues.

    I hope this helps. The IDE DVD is a good choice, but you will have the same problem until you uninstall Nero 7 and go back to 6 or use other software.
    Well Like I said, the old burner still works, but havent tried it past Nero. I'll try after I get Nero 7 off. I have another (the pioneer 115) on the way, so if it still works I'll put it in the other MB.

    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. DVD Ninja budz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    In the shadows.....
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by seglertx
    gcam: I had a CD Fly apart inside of a 52x drive. When it flew apart, the tray partially opened and shards of plastic came flying out and went about about 6 feet. I have since limited the speed on drives to 32x or 40x.

    Being able to burn one DVD and not a second unless you reboot, is a problem with Nero 7. I found that it was leaving processes running without reseting them after the first burn. This caused the second burn to fail. After I discovered the problem, I had to go in to Windows Task Manager to manually shut them down after each burn. I forget the specific names of the processes, but uninstalling Nero 7 should solve that problem. I don't remember Nero 7 effecting the use of other DVD burning software unless it was after burning a DVD with Nero, but it was interfering with a other software. Nero 7 has to be the worst piece of software I have seen in the last 30 years.

    I also have an MSI K8MM-V that I use as a DVR, but I use an IDE drive with it. I have never tried a SATA drive on it, and never plan to. A SATA DVD burner is a bad choice for this board because it only has 2 SATA connectors to begin with. Wasting one of them by using a slow optical drive on it does not make sense. I use my SATA connectors for 400GB hard drives that store only video. The hard drive with the operating system and other software is on one IDE connector, and the DVD burner is on the other IDE.

    I hope this helps. The IDE DVD is a good choice, but you will have the same problem until you uninstall Nero 7 and go back to 6 or use other software.
    Yah all need to understand that Older motherboards that have SATA ports were not made for OPTICAL DRIVES. End of story! 1wheelken at this point you're on your own since many suggestions were made to you with regard to your SAMSUNG drive so stop whining. :P

    Billf2099: It doesn't matter if your SATA hard drives or dvd burners are hooked up on MASTER/SLAVE IDE. What chef meant was there's no jumper settings for SATA dvd burners. I have SATA dvd burners hooked up on SATA ports as SLAVE which work perfectly fine.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    budz
    It did matter, read my post. I could not get XP to boot when the hard drive was in the slave socket. My suggestion to 1wheelken was to make sure he was in the master position. I am certain that for optical drives it doesn't matter, when everything is actually working right. I usually had my optical ide drives as slaves when I ran out of masters. The lack of JUMPERS and sound card connectors on the optical drives are quite obvious. I have one jumper on my hard drive, one that allows me to lock it into SATA 150 mode. I was just trying to help, not get into an arguement over semantics.
    Quote Quote  
  14. DVD Ninja budz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    In the shadows.....
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Billf2099
    budz
    It did matter, read my post. I could not get XP to boot when the hard drive was in the slave socket. My suggestion to 1wheelken was to make sure he was in the master position. I am certain that for optical drives it doesn't matter, when everything is actually working right. I usually had my optical ide drives as slaves when I ran out of masters. The lack of JUMPERS and sound card connectors on the optical drives are quite obvious. I have one jumper on my hard drive, one that allows me to lock it into SATA 150 mode. I was just trying to help, not get into an arguement over semantics.
    You couldn't get XP to boot because it should have been in MASTER. This thread is about the SATA SAMSUNG S203N drive not about SATA hard drives. Hard drives using SATA ports are a total different ball game for SATA DVD BURNERS. Who's arguing? I'm stating facts regarding this thread. Don't confuse others with information that doesn't pertain to the subject of the SATA SAMSUNG S203N drive.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member [_chef_]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Search Comp PM
    I still say "there is no master / slave scheme with SATA". Some softwares make you think there is something about master/slave with SATA, but that is not the truth.
    There are mobos with only 2 SATA ports, but there are also some that have 8 SATA ports. I'd like to see how you try figuring out what of them should refer to master or slave...
    I use the onboard SATA ports here for my ODD and have extra Promise SATA contollers for my HDDs.

    BTW, Billf2099, what should "I guess you don't know everything." imply? Or should it be a "useful" info for me??? It doesnt even sound like an "info".
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    _chef_ and budz. I do not know where to begin with either of you.
    1 wheelken, now that you have your system in IDE and not RAID please remove all of the software and delete the ide's and reboot the system. Then hook everything back up and do not install NERO or any packet writing software. Then as another poster has suggested find a nero 6 from somewhere. But I think you can do everything you need to do with imgburn. Its how I went along for 4 months before I completely redid my system and finally was able to do a clean install of Nero. My SATA drive has worked without a hitch. Now back to the 'pests'

    Both of you have been picking away at simple facts I stated.
    My system, now an XP OS with SATA HD and Writer handles these devices as the masters on IDE 3 and IDE 4. That is a fact. Your posturing does not change it. I never told him to check jumpers as one of you inferred, I said make sure they are on the master connector. On my board there are 4 of them in a row. The top one is IDE3 master, the next IDE3 slave, the third IDE4 master. It did not take long to figure out how My system worked, it took two boots and two peeks into control panel/system. I'd say deciphering your system would take me about a whole 5 minutes _chef_ unless you have a slow booting system. Which gets me to my point which is.

    Some people on this thread have attempted to help 1wheelken with his problem. Others have sat on the sidelines and tossed in snarky remarks and taken 'offense' at simple statements of fact. Budz, perhaps I am lumping you in on this pointlessly. I never said anything about checking jumpers on the SATA devices. I said make sure you have them on master connections. Your defense of _chef_ is admirable but misplaced.

    _chef_ take my remark as a comment we ALL need said to us at times. You do not know everything. No one knows everything. If there is one thing that everyone who reads and writes on this forum should know is that all kinds of goofy things mess up both hardware and software in PC's.
    Yet I see all kinds of pronouncements like "you can't burn and surf at the same time" And Socket 939 systems cannot handle SATA burners.

    Both are false. I'm running a single core 3800 on a microatx motherboard with a number of things that bet against read good success yet I am burning to a SATA Drive and often have numerous windows open while burning at an average rate of about 14X for a DVD.

    I had 1wheelken's problem. Yet my attempts to help are being snarked about by a couple people. Look, if you don't have anything to say to HELP 1wheelken, why don't you do us a favor and shut up. Attempts to tell me I'm not following the rules are laughable when they come from people who don't seem to follow the simplest rules of human conduct. Listen, think, then talk. As opposed to listen partially then jump on something you misunderstood.

    Good luck 1wheelken. I hope you get it sorted out. Do not give up.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I have always been able to Burn and surf, and do other projects at the same time. Like yesterday, I was able to burn (20+ dvds), print each dvd as they finished burning, check email, surf couple websites, edit a website, and all of that at the same time. And this was with the new IDE pioneer 115 IDE I just bought and installed, as was with the other IDE burner I have, maybe its a SATA thing (?).

    I did start to burn without anything open, after I got the pioneer burner, that lasted about 3 burns. Then I opened some windows, and other programs and off I was. Though I set the max speed at 16X.

    It may be that stuff running in the background (processes) is the issue, when I was burning without anything open (on top), ImgBurn log kept throwing up a yellow warning about the buffer recovering, and that it was waiting for the hard disk to stop its activity, or something like that. Though the burns would still finish with success.

    Like I mentioned before I will keep the SATA burner, and use it late when I upgrade, or I just might go out today and pick up a controller card and test it out.

    G
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    gcam wrote:

    It may be that stuff running in the background (processes) is the issue, when I was burning without anything open (on top), ImgBurn log kept throwing up a yellow warning about the buffer recovering, and that it was waiting for the hard disk to stop its activity, or something like that. Though the burns would still finish with success.
    That sounds like it may be anti-virus software scanning the video files as you read and write them to the hard drive. I always disable scans of hard drives or folders that I only use for video files.

    I also store my video files on a separate hard drive instead of the one with the OS and Software. Video software normally uses a folder on the system drive to temporarily store the video it has converted to DVD format before burning them to the DVD. If you use only a single drive, the software would have to alternate between reading and writing to it. This is much slower than reading files from one drive, converting them, and writing them to the system drive.
    Quote Quote  
  19. DVD Ninja budz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    In the shadows.....
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Billf2099
    _chef_ and budz. I do not know where to begin with either of you.
    1 wheelken, now that you have your system in IDE and not RAID please remove all of the software and delete the ide's and reboot the system. Then hook everything back up and do not install NERO or any packet writing software. Then as another poster has suggested find a nero 6 from somewhere. But I think you can do everything you need to do with imgburn. Its how I went along for 4 months before I completely redid my system and finally was able to do a clean install of Nero. My SATA drive has worked without a hitch. Now back to the 'pests'

    Both of you have been picking away at simple facts I stated.
    My system, now an XP OS with SATA HD and Writer handles these devices as the masters on IDE 3 and IDE 4. That is a fact. Your posturing does not change it. I never told him to check jumpers as one of you inferred, I said make sure they are on the master connector. On my board there are 4 of them in a row. The top one is IDE3 master, the next IDE3 slave, the third IDE4 master. It did not take long to figure out how My system worked, it took two boots and two peeks into control panel/system. I'd say deciphering your system would take me about a whole 5 minutes _chef_ unless you have a slow booting system. Which gets me to my point which is.

    Some people on this thread have attempted to help 1wheelken with his problem. Others have sat on the sidelines and tossed in snarky remarks and taken 'offense' at simple statements of fact. Budz, perhaps I am lumping you in on this pointlessly. I never said anything about checking jumpers on the SATA devices. I said make sure you have them on master connections. Your defense of _chef_ is admirable but misplaced.

    _chef_ take my remark as a comment we ALL need said to us at times. You do not know everything. No one knows everything. If there is one thing that everyone who reads and writes on this forum should know is that all kinds of goofy things mess up both hardware and software in PC's.
    Yet I see all kinds of pronouncements like "you can't burn and surf at the same time" And Socket 939 systems cannot handle SATA burners.

    Both are false. I'm running a single core 3800 on a microatx motherboard with a number of things that bet against read good success yet I am burning to a SATA Drive and often have numerous windows open while burning at an average rate of about 14X for a DVD.

    I had 1wheelken's problem. Yet my attempts to help are being snarked about by a couple people. Look, if you don't have anything to say to HELP 1wheelken, why don't you do us a favor and shut up. Attempts to tell me I'm not following the rules are laughable when they come from people who don't seem to follow the simplest rules of human conduct. Listen, think, then talk. As opposed to listen partially then jump on something you misunderstood.

    Good luck 1wheelken. I hope you get it sorted out. Do not give up.
    You must not have a life with having to post a bunch of BS.

    :P Post this thread at Cdfreaks.com in the SAMSUNG FORUM & let's just see how many will respond to the OP's problem. I'm sure you will get lots of responses from members over there.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by seglertx
    gcam wrote:

    It may be that stuff running in the background (processes) is the issue, when I was burning without anything open (on top), ImgBurn log kept throwing up a yellow warning about the buffer recovering, and that it was waiting for the hard disk to stop its activity, or something like that. Though the burns would still finish with success.
    That sounds like it may be anti-virus software scanning the video files as you read and write them to the hard drive. I always disable scans of hard drives or folders that I only use for video files.

    I also store my video files on a separate hard drive instead of the one with the OS and Software. Video software normally uses a folder on the system drive to temporarily store the video it has converted to DVD format before burning them to the DVD. If you use only a single drive, the software would have to alternate between reading and writing to it. This is much slower than reading files from one drive, converting them, and writing them to the system drive.
    May be, but I also have all video files on separate HD, the sys drive (OS/Software) is a 250gb split twice (119-119), then I have anther 250gb IDE, and a 500 gb SATA. The 250 and 500 hold video, the second 119 has video also but not used often. I do all of my editing on the 250 or 500, never on the 119. So it may be something else.

    G
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member [_chef_]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Search Comp PM
    Well, Mr. Billf2099.
    I suggest you read your big post (which is nothing else than a big buggering and taste of offence) over and over again.
    And, maybe in a near distant future you will recognize that it was really a useless post (except the last line).

    I say it clearly: spit again and I'll not resist to report to the forum staff. You may not have understood the forum rules yet...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Gcam,
    How fragmented is that hard drive? I find that when drives get really full I do see my burner struggle to keep both buffers full. Theres also a maximum on 'traffic' on the highway you are using. HD to burner is a lot of traffic, since computers are rational devices they share the resources. So doing a intensive thing on the other harddrive will be using up the traffic space available. So doing a HD cleaning and defrag would also help. I've never run into the virus scanner thing, but I've seen virus scanners that eat resources like there is no tomorrow. I got rid of Norton for that reason.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Budz and Chef
    I actually had 1wheelken's problem and fixed it on my computer yet you decided to take issue with what I said. I take offense at what both of you have said. Go ahead and report away. I'm sure that Baldrick will read the whole thing, he's going to be thinking that you both are acting like children because I was trying to help someone while you were picking at semantics. I don't have a million posts here, but I know my way around the insides of computers. The reason why I don't have a million posts here is unless I have something to say that I think will help someone I don't say it. Something that neither of you can say. Both of you took a poke at a bear and you are surprised he has a roar. Perhaps you ought to encourage people instead of being complete jerks. It doesn't take long to see who thinks they run a place. I've got a life and I've wasted too much of it on the likes of you two. I don't back down from thug behaviour. Call it a character flaw.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Gcam:

    I just thought of another cause of those errors from excessive hard drive activity. Have you disabled indexing of your hard drives by Microsoft Office Find Fast, Windows Indexing, Google Desktop, and similar programs? This can cause more problems than scans by anti-virus software, and disabling them will also free up a lot of space on the hard drive. (Eliminating the hibernation feature will also free up more space on the hard drive, but has no bearing on problems with DVD burning.)

    Other cause of excessive background processes are supposed "Quick Launch Programs" like the "Microsoft Office Startup Assistant". These are supposed to speed up the launching of the programs they are packaged with, but seldom do. They are always taking up memory and some like OSA.exe can bring an older CPU to a standstill. Excessive files or shortcuts on the desktop can be a problem. One that many people overlook, and can really slow down a Windows system are excessive installed fonts. Unless you are using a computer for desktop publishing, you should always keep the installed fonts to a bare minimum.

    You seem to be making good use of your hard drives to eliminate the problems of burning DVD's. I expected as much after seeing the specs of this system in your first post. I only mentioned the use of one drive for unedited files and another for the edited files just in case you had overlooked this. I forgot to mention also using a separate hard drive for your Virtual Memory/RAM. I normally leave this on the system drive for home computers, but transfer it to a normally unused drive on a computer that I use for video editing or CAD work.

    The anti-virus software issue is the main thing I wanted to point out in my previous post, and any of them can cause problems if the security settings are set to high, or set in the wrong way. You always want to disable the scanning of video files that you have created and know to be free of viruses.

    I do agree with Billf2099 about Norton/Symantec. I have used Norton from the beginning, and continued using Norton/Symantec Products at home because I got them at no cost. I used the "Internet Security" package till last year, when I got tired of the overhead it caused on my computers. The Norton/Symantec "System Works" package has always been a huge drag on a system even when only the firewall and anti-virus parts are enabled, and I never used it but did test it through 2005.

    The Intel C2D systems that 1wheelken and I are running are much faster than yours, so result will be much different. Even my version 1 K8MM-V system is quite faster than yours. I built it for use in a sun room. It uses a laptop CPU with 4x the L2 cache that yours has, with a huge heatpipe cooler. It benchmarks between a 3200+ and a3400+ in a room at 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit, with the CPU running 4 degrees over room temperature. (measured by a calibrated infrared sensor from work.)

    I only mentioned this, because I do not want you to expect the same results from your computer. I was able to run DVDDecrypter, surf the internet, and use a word processor at the same time on my K8MM-V system. I seldom did this because it slowed the system down. With the system you are using, you need to cut all unneeded background processes out of the loop.

    Considering the limitations of your system, I agree with budz's recommendation in refraining from any other use of the system while it is compressing, or converting and burning video to DVD's. It should be able to do this with no errors or warnings if you have disabled the indexing, anti-virus scanning, and are using DVD burning software that is efficient and geared for that system.

    I found that Nero 7 Ultra Edition was using about 70% of both cores on my Intel 6400 system during compression, and did little better than Roxio EMC 9 in losing consecutive frames. Neither of them even came close to the quality of DVDShrink in compression quality. Nero 7 was obviously able to multi-threading, but was very inefficient at this task.

    You have not mentioned what your source of your video is, and how you process it. This may be pertinent to this thread of discussion or not. If what we have mentioned does not help, keep this in mind.


    I may be verbose, but I hope it helps!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member joleca7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    BUDZ,

    almost 2 years later, your advice (Posted: Jan 15, 2008 22:42) is still very very helpful... I know nothing about hardware, etc and when the desktop my ex built (either for '98 or XP) crashed, burned & fried last month, the only things salvageable were the case, the 2 200GB SATA drives and a USB add-on card.. So basically after not finding anything I could afford that would meet my needs, I bought everything to build a new machine (excepting the parts above) and the store was kind enough to put together & reload my OS for no charge..

    So, spent the last month reloading software, etc and yesterday tried to burn a project I'd converted (ConvertXtoDVD3).. The burner came up in "PIO" mode and when I checked the IDE controllers in the Device Manager, there was NO way to enable DMA (the SH-S203N drive).. Was almost ready to unplug everything, pack the computer up and go back to the shop today... Then I stumbled on this post... I didn't know that this was a SATA drive (they didn't give me any info).. But all the new drives (2 1TB Seagates, etc) are all SATA.. So, went into the BIOS (Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P) and followed your instructions.

    The shop had set to ACHI, enabled "Native Mode", and set Onboard SATA to AHCI).. changed to what you listed, re-booted, re-booted again after Vista found and loaded all the drivers and now have a working burner (with DMA enabled)... Thanks so very much!!

    FYI, after following your instructions the non-lightscribe burner (SH-S222A) was suddenly showing as "RAID".. followed the instructions posted at this site http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257572-30-ep45-ud3p and updated the Gigabyte Driver to standard dual channel IDE device and both drives now display and work as they should..
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads