VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having a MAJOR problem The Green Bay Packers play on Sat. @ 3:30 and we are not going to be anywhere near a TV. My daughter has a wireless laptop. Would we be able to access FOX and watch the game. I am totally clueless when it comes to computer technology, so go easy on me. Thanks. I welcome and and all responses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coteauhills
    I'm having a MAJOR problem The Green Bay Packers play on Sat. @ 3:30 and we are not going to be anywhere near a TV. My daughter has a wireless laptop. Would we be able to access FOX and watch the game. I am totally clueless when it comes to computer technology, so go easy on me. Thanks. I welcome and and all responses.
    Are you sure the Fox station where you will be is carrying that game?
    How far will you be from that TV station?

You will need a USB TV tuner and an antenna that will reach the station.

An example: This one can tune analog or digital TV stations.
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/PCTV+Tuners/PCTV+F...mate+Stick.htm
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    None of the major US networks, including Fox, do live broadcasts of their shows on the internet. That means that you have to try edDV's suggestion, which is to buy a TV card and hope you are within antenna range of a Fox broadcast station. If you're not going to be near a TV, you probably won't be near a broadcast tower either.

Perhaps one day we will live in a world where you can watch major US network TV over the internet, but that day is not today. The technology exists, but the TV broadcasters are opposed to using it.

Worst case, couldn't you just record it via some means you have? Surely if nothing else you have an old VCR right? You could just stay away from the news until you get home and then watch the recording. I have a friend who's a season ticket holder for another team and he goes to all the home games AND watches TV recordings of the same games when he gets home.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do what you are trying to do all the time.
    What you need is the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2 capture card and WinTV 2000 SW.
    you may connect to your cable service or an antenna.
    You may then record the game directly to your hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the post and info. We will be across the state from the station so it probably won't work. I would record it, but seeing as it happens is soooo much better. Maybe I'll go hang out at a walmart or something and watch the game during half time of my son's basketball game. You'd think by now, as far as technology has advanced, we would be able to watch this game on a laptop. You guys have a GREAT new year!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coteauhills
    Thanks for the post and info. We will be across the state from the station so it probably won't work. I would record it, but seeing as it happens is soooo much better. Maybe I'll go hang out at a walmart or something and watch the game during half time of my son's basketball game. You'd think by now, as far as technology has advanced, we would be able to watch this game on a laptop. You guys have a GREAT new year!
    This is what sports bars are for. Call one near where you will be and see if they will get the game.

If you think NFL games over the internet is a good idea, you first need to convince the Green Bay Packers.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Would it be illegal to get a torrent of the game afterwards?

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have (or can you borrow) a portable TV? IMO they're cheap, convenient, and handy to have in the event of an emergency.

This one has ATSC and NTSC tuners:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8275993&type=product&id=1171058029451

Be sure to setup a recording device just in case you don't find some way of watching the game live.
    Quote Quote