VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you like Digital Storage or MiniDV better?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to start by saying that I have a Hi8 samsung camcorder I bought a couple years ago when I thought I would simply record, edit, publish movies, and live happily ever-after.

Here I am 3 years later with a little sense knocked into me. 8)

In this post HD = Hard Drive/Memory Card/Digital Storage

So here is my question in a nut-shell: Given that I want a CONVENT/SIMPLE/FAST way to get footage on to a PC for editing, is it really worth all the trouble to go MiniDV instead of the simple HD camcorders?

You see, the reason I want a new camcorder isn't that my old one is that bad of quality - it is that I have to fight for hours to get it through the TV Tuner onto my PC so I can edit it. I want to get the footage on my PC fast, (that is 1#) followed by video quality, then poor light conditions.

From what I have been reading HD cams seem to have noticeably poorer video quality compared to MiniDV cams (like what LCD's used to be compared to standard monitors). Now is this true, or is it just producer ego baloney?

Second, if MiniDV is really that much better - how much? And do you have to jump though hoops to get it on your PC? I don't care about "one click to DVD" stuff - because I will be using Vegas and Premiere Pro to create mostly web (320-640) videos (but 720/DVD will also be needed). What I want is Digital camera simplicity -just plug it in and download.

In addition, I have read about CCCD and I would love to find a 3CCCD - but I probably wont for my price range.

So for about $500 I would like (in order):
    Instant PC/Digital format.
    Good Video Quality
    Good Poor-light handling (at less a 3)
    shutter control (like settings for 1, 30, or 60 frames a sec)
    Ability to hold more than 45min of footage.

What I don't need:
    Still images
    High Def

So far I am thinking about the Sony DCR-SR62 & DCR-SR42. So could anyone add to what I have down or suggest a camcorder? Thanks!

Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DCR-SR42-Handycam-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B000M3LJ5U/ref=sr_1_...0070145&sr=1-9
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Xeoncross
    So here is my question in a nut-shell: Given that I want a CONVENT/SIMPLE/FAST way to get footage on to a PC for editing, is it really worth all the trouble to go MiniDV instead of the simple HD camcorders?
    The process of getting the footage from the camcorder to the PC is exactly the same for MiniDV and HDD camcorders. Like the tape, the HDD remains in the camcorder. You play the footage and it is sent via FireWire to the PC.

If you really want a simple solution, you should consider the DVD camcorders. The footage is recorded onto a DVD-R and you simply take it out and put it in your PC.

However, both the HDD and DVD camcorders suffer from using a less than ideal compression format. The DV format is the most widely used and has the greatest software support. Tapes are cheap and can be removed from the camcorder whereas the HDD can't.

Personally, I'd go with the MiniDV format.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    The process of getting the footage from the camcorder to the PC is exactly the same for MiniDV and HDD camcorders. Like the tape, the HDD remains in the camcorder. You play the footage and it is sent via FireWire to the PC.
    Well, transfer via firewire doesn't mean much to me. What I want to know is if HD cams save their footage as MPEG/AVI and then transfer the file to the PC or if they are like tapes where while the file is being transfered it is encoded into mpeg/avi/mov. That is what I don't want unless I know it will be hight quality. That is the reason I don't use my Hi8 anymore - I have to get my TV Tuner then encode the movie into a digital format like .mov or .wmv onto my PC while I push play on my Camcorder.

But if both HD and MiniDV have to have the file encoded into a REAL digital format (binary not film) - then what is the point of HD? I want a camcorder that works like a Digital Camera - just download and your done.

Can you clear this up?

If you really want a simple solution, you should consider the DVD camcorders. The footage is recorded onto a DVD-R and you simply take it out and put it in your PC.
    DVD camcorders don't sound like a good idea - plus the DVD format is NOT easy to work with. I would have to convert it to AVI/MOV/etc just to work with it and then that would defeat the whole purpose.

Thanks for your reply.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Those hard drive cameras record in MPEG-2 format which is highly compressed and difficult to edit compared to MiniDV. MPEG-2 is DVD standard and is meant to be your final viewing format, not the format you begin with like on those hard drive cameras. MiniDV has to be transferred in real time but the footage is extremely easy to edit and manipulate and with any basic editor you can make whatever changes you want and output it back to tape and/or DVD for viewing on a TV.

My other argument for hard drive vs. tape is that footage you shoot on hard drive or DVD camcorders will most likely be lost eventually from media failure. MiniDV tapes will still exist 10-15 years from now. Everything degrades over time and MiniDV tapes are no exception. In 15 years some of the 0's and 1's on the tape may be corrupt but your footage will still be mostly intact.

Nothing lasts forever but for my important memories like my son growing up I will trust a tape over a hard drive any day of the week.

For camcorders have you looked at the Panasonic PV-GS line of consumer 3CCD cameras? The GS500 is not in production any more but there's enough out there you can still find them new without too much trouble. There's also the GS320 which has less features than the GS500 but has the same optics and can be had for $400 or less.

That's my $.02 worth.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Xeoncross
    DVD camcorders don't sound like a good idea - plus the DVD format is NOT easy to work with. I would have to convert it to AVI/MOV/etc just to work with it and then that would defeat the whole purpose.

Thanks for your reply.
    Exactly. The only two things in the DVD camcorder's favor is the ability to "instantly" transfer the video to the PC and also to be able to instantly take the DVD out and play it in a standalone DVD player.

Great for point-and-shoot, never-to-be-edited but practically useless for any serious editing etc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stantheman1976
    Those hard drive cameras record in MPEG-2 format which is highly compressed and difficult to edit compared to MiniDV. MPEG-2 is DVD standard and is meant to be your final viewing format, not the format you begin with like on those hard drive cameras.
    Yes, that is why I would rather find something that records a mov or avi file from the start. But even mpeg2 is fine because I can work with it right away.

MiniDV has to be transferred in real time but the footage is extremely easy to edit and manipulate and with any basic editor you can make whatever changes you want and output it back to tape and/or DVD for viewing on a TV.
    Still, no-one has told me what the term "transfer" means for MiniDV. Starting from square one - a miniDV is a optical storage tape correct? or is the data stored on it digital (Like a hard drive?). So when you transfer - do you start the camcorder and then run a program that encodes the firewire signal coming in? (like a TV Tuner would do?) Or does the camcorder convert it to a file type and then send it to the PC which does nothing but store it?

Again, I don't want to hassle with running the computer transfer/encoding in real time unless I have to. I already have a Hi8 that works like that. I just want to download the movie and get on with editing it.

My other argument for hard drive vs. tape is that footage you shoot on hard drive or DVD camcorders will most likely be lost eventually from media failure. MiniDV tapes will still exist 10-15 years from now.
    I am not worried - I change HD's every year pretty much +backups and online storage. If you compare a HD and tape just setting there you are right. But in the real world HD are not about the device - the are about the idea of a medium you can move data across fast.

Thanks for your answers!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Xeoncross,
    I don't have any experience with an HDD camcorder, so I'm not going to mention it. My first camcorder was a DVD Hitachi. I had it for several months and wasn't very happy to edit. Most of the software at that time didn't support a .VRO [if I got it right] format. I sold that one to a friend and bought a Canon GL2. Two years later, I bought an XL2 to couple with the GL2. I am very happy with my two cams. Tape or DV format is very reliable and easy to edit. If you plan to use Vegas or Premiere, tape is a way to go and please make sure you stick with one brand of tape. Most pros don't recommend mixing brands together because each manufacturer use different chemical to make their tapes. That could cause a severe damage to your camcorder heads. So, pick one brand and stick with it. I use Maxell from Sam's club and never have any issue. Down the road, if you have more budget, you can buy a hard drive that can attach to your camcorder. So in stead of using tapes, now you use a hard drive that can capture 4 - 6 hours of video from your MiniDV cam. Just detach the hard drive from your camcorder and attach it to the firewire port and you can edit the footage from that drive. Of course, it doesn't come cheap. The hard drive alone can cost from $1,100 - $1,700.

I don't have any recommendation to any camcorder around $500. I can only recommend a tape type camcorder like MiniDV. Don't forget, a good tripod makes a big difference in quality. Lighting also plays a big role. Some experts said sound is number one priority and number two is video. A good sound can overcome poor video, but good video can never overcome poor sound. Take it for what it's worth.

vcdlover
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Xeoncross
    Well, transfer via firewire doesn't mean much to me. What I want to know is if HD cams save their footage as MPEG/AVI and then transfer the file to the PC or if they are like tapes where while the file is being transfered it is encoded into mpeg/avi/mov. That is what I don't want unless I know it will be hight quality. That is the reason I don't use my Hi8 anymore - I have to get my TV Tuner then encode the movie into a digital format like .mov or .wmv onto my PC while I push play on my Camcorder.

But if both HD and MiniDV have to have the file encoded into a REAL digital format (binary not film) - then what is the point of HD? I want a camcorder that works like a Digital Camera - just download and your done.

Can you clear this up?
    Best to describe better your goals. I'll confine comments to standard definition.

DV format (MiniDV tape) gives the highest quality. DV format is 25Mb/s + PCM uncompressed audio and is transferred to the computer at 1x speed over IEEE-1394 (aka Firewire) to a DV-AVI file.

Hard Disk camcorders record to much lower bit rate MPeg2 and can transfer a "FILE" over USB2. You give up quality for FILE convenience. Editing MPeg2 beyond simple cuts will lower quality further.

To get both quality and FILE you need to spend about $6000 for a camcorder (e.g. Panasonic HVX-200) or go for MPeg4 which is even more difficult to edit with quality.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Still, no-one has told me what the term "transfer" means for MiniDV. Starting from square one - a miniDV is a optical storage tape correct? or is the data stored on it digital (Like a hard drive?). So when you transfer - do you start the camcorder and then run a program that encodes the firewire signal coming in? (like a TV Tuner would do?) Or does the camcorder convert it to a file type and then send it to the PC which does nothing but store it?

Again, I don't want to hassle with running the computer transfer/encoding in real time unless I have to. I already have a Hi8 that works like that. I just want to download the movie and get on with editing it.
    MiniDV records digital DV format to tape and transfers 1x as said above and has high quality. The transfer is a first generation (no loss) copy to the computer hard drive.

You need to decide between quality and FILE transfer over USB2. You can't have both without spending more. The cheapest way would use an external hard drive recorder for DV format storage. See Firestore FS4 for about $699.
    http://www.videoguys.com/FireStore.html
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    DV format (MiniDV tape) gives the highest quality. DV format is 25Mb/s + PCM uncompressed audio and is transferred to the computer at 1x speed over IEEE-1394 (aka Firewire) to a DV-AVI file.
    Although there has been a lot of good advice. No-one yet has answered my question: what does the term "transfer" means for MiniDV? I know it is sent at 1x over a IEEE. But IEEE is a transfer protocol - nothing more so saying "transfer" over it doesn't mean anything other than a 800MB connection. But I want to know WHAT you are sending over that connection. A digital file? or a Digital signal that must be converted by a program?

Do you start the camcorder and then run a program (like Vegas) that encodes the firewire signal coming in? (like a TV Tuner would do?)
    To get both quality and FILE you need to spend about $6000 for a camcorder (e.g. Panasonic HVX-200) or go for MPeg4 which is even more difficult to edit with quality.
    Yes, that sounds like my goal of $XXX is a dream.

All-in-all, I guess that I will just have to find a HDD camcorder I can try to see if the quality really is as bad as everyone says it is - Because I have a hunch that it isn't any worse than Hi8 - and I am fine with Hi8.

Again, I want the file in a ready-to-edit format without all the headache of encoding/converting. DVD is out of the question because it is NOT a ready to edit format - just like a tape it would need to be re-coded before you could work with it.

Anyone have any movies I can see of MiniDV? :P
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "what does the term "transfer" means for MiniDV?" It means you play your captured tape from your cam thru the firewire port. In Vegas, you choose File>Capture video and you choose DV. Then select storage. The captured files are called .DV or .AVI which are raw files. One hour of video should take about 12.5 gig of hard drive space. I may not explain it clearly and please pardon me because I'm at work here. Not much time to type.

If you compare like $500 HDD cam and $500 MiniDV, the quality may not be different if you play them both on the same TV via your cam, but .DV files from MiniDV are much easier to work with.

vcdlover
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Although there has been a lot of good advice. No-one yet has answered my question: what does the term "transfer" means for MiniDV? I know it is sent at 1x over a IEEE. But IEEE is a transfer protocol - nothing more so saying "transfer" over it doesn't mean anything other than a 800MB connection. But I want to know WHAT you are sending over that connection. A digital file? or a Digital signal that must be converted by a program?

Do you start the camcorder and then run a program (like Vegas) that encodes the firewire signal coming in? (like a TV Tuner would do?)
    Yes, that sounds like my goal of $XXX is a dream.

All-in-all, I guess that I will just have to find a HDD camcorder I can try to see if the quality really is as bad as everyone says it is - Because I have a hunch that it isn't any worse than Hi8 - and I am fine with Hi8.

Again, I want the file in a ready-to-edit format without all the headache of encoding/converting. DVD is out of the question because it is NOT a ready to edit format - just like a tape it would need to be re-coded before you could work with it.

Anyone have any movies I can see of MiniDV? :P
    DV transfer has been asked and answered several times. DV camcorders record to tape in digital format and the transfer process replicates the exact same digital data to the computer hard drive. DV format has all frames recorded so editing is easy.

Now explain which words in that sentence aren't clear.

Editing MPeg2 REQUIRES a decode to base video and then a encode back to MPeg2. This is lossy. Simple cuts can be made without loss but on half second I frames. DV format would need an encode to MPeg2 for DVD only which is much less lossy.

If you want to see MiniDV quality watch most any cable network reality or news show. Of course they use $20,000 DV camcorders not $250 ones but the recording format is the same for video.

Be specific when you say you want "quality". Obviously you care about your a wallet over quality and editing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I've just finished rebuilding an avi that was accidently on my HDD when it failed last year...
    Fortunately, my source is all tape
    Quote Quote  
  14. In a nutshell you can't have what you are asking for at the price you can afford, that's what everyone is more-or-less trying to tell you. The output from the affordable HDD camcorder can be copied immediately and quickly to your computer, just as a big "file", but there will be compression artifacts and possibly limitations on how much editing flexibility you'll have. If you are shooting "movies" from the hip, and really just grooving on playing around with it as a hobby, then yes this is the way to go for you if you prize convenience above all else.

HOWEVER: if this is personal family stuff, or you have any intention of watching what you shoot again five years from now, or ever want to make a fuss of showing it to other people with discriminating eyeballs- suck it up and tolerate the "inconvenience" of a standard MiniDV camcorder. The image quality will be better, the file format is more flexible, and you will always have the safety of the tape for a backup. The MiniDV file format is already in editable format once you get it transferred to your PC, if that is the crux of your question? The reason why the transfer has to be real time is mechanical limitation: MiniDV tape camcorders are not capable of faster file transfer, real time is as fast as they can move the tape and stream data to your computer. Firewire is a direct dataline into your PC drive, there is no need to go thru your tuner card to do an analog/digital conversion. In this setup, when we say "transfer", we mean moving the raw file from the camcorder into your PC, we are not talking about conversion of any kind if that was your concern.

If you could afford one of the pricier alternatives suggested by others above, you would have your ideal camcorder: one that records in the same file format as a MiniDV tape-based unit but laying that format down on a hard disk instead of tape so that the file transfer can be many, many times faster than real time. That's your holy grail.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vcdlover
    The captured files are called .DV or .AVI which are raw files.
    Interesting, so you are saying that MiniDV creates it's own files called ".dv" that are actually lossless copys of the complete data that is on the cam. Like a .raw file for a photo. From what was being said it sounded like you just plug in the MiniDV and recoded it over IEEE to your PC. But like I knew, that wasn't the whole story. Something had to encode it into a computer file and it sounds like that is the job of whatever software you use.

So MiniDV doesn't have to be encoded quit the same way as a regular tape would need to be - it has it's own file type ".DV". So what programs support the creation and editing of DV/AVI files?

Also, with a TV Tuner capture there was a LOT of quality loss as the feeble connection would skip (like movies on old tapes), choke, and weaken randomly while recording the video to the hard drive. Mostly because I think that trying to go through a cam, out through s-video cables, into a tuner, converted into a stream for a program save to the HD was just too many variables. I know my PC was fast enough.

So is a Firewire more solid? Is there any sound/image distortion or when you try to get the cam to play back the movie though the firewire to the PC?

If I just new there was a lossless, easy way to insure my videos would make it to the PC IN GOOD QUALITY I might for-go the HDD and just suffer through ( ) the 1x MiniDV recording onto the PC.

Again, the whole goal is I just want an easy way to get a video file onto my PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Interesting, so you are saying that MiniDV creates it's own files called ".dv" that are actually lossless copys of the complete data that is on the cam. Like a .raw file for a photo. From what was being said it sounded like you just plug in the MiniDV and recoded it over IEEE to your PC. But like I knew, that wasn't the whole story. Something had to encode it into a computer file and it sounds like that is the job of whatever software you use.
    Ummmm...no. DV is DV, thats the format it's in on the cam. When you transfer over firewire as DV-AVI its a bit for bit copy of what's on tape. For example you can transfer to your computer then back to tape, then back to your computer...then repeat this process 1 million times and assuming there was no corruption along the way its still going to be the exact same file.

You can think of this as copying a file, it really is not much different.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that is what I said above - it is just that last sentence was really part of the next paragraph and so it says the opposite of the first sentence. ;P

Anyway, I think maybe I will go for MiniDV - I have been reading all day and it sounds like a winner. Could someone answer my last question though?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

So MiniDV doesn't have to be encoded quit the same way as a regular tape would need to be - it has it's own file type ".DV". So what programs support the creation and editing of DV/AVI files?
    Called *.dv and "raw" only if you are on a Mac but not a PC. Raw there means the Mac just puts DV stream data that comes over the IEEE-1394 port directly into a *.dv file. A PC DV transfer formats the data for DirectShow access but the resulting "DV-AVI" file is essentially a lossless copy of the data on the tape. A camcorder lacks an operating system so the concept of a "file" doesn't exist. A DV camcorder records a stream of digital data to the tape along with uncompressed audio. Start/Stop timecode flags identify a clip.

DV format has DCT compression but only within a frame. This is more like "fine" on a digital camera rather than "raw". "Raw" 4:1:1 digital video would generate 70GB files per hour. Do you really want "raw"?

MPeg2 as you know only records one frame every 15 frame GOP (group of pictures) and fills the in between frames with change data. MPeg4 uses longer GOPs. This is why MPeg is more difficult to edit and suffers decompression loss. DV records all frames and is easy to edit.

DV format can be edited in a host of consumer or pro editing programs starting with Windows Movie Maker and up from there.

IF DVD is your destination, the edited DV data or decompressed/edited MPeg2 data need to be encoded to DVD MPeg2 and authored.

Also, with a TV Tuner capture there was a LOT of quality loss as the feeble connection would skip (like movies on old tapes), choke, and weaken randomly while recording the video to the hard drive. Mostly because I think that trying to go through a cam, out through s-video cables, into a tuner, converted into a stream for a program save to the HD was just too many variables. I know my PC was fast enough.

So is a Firewire more solid? Is there any sound/image distortion or when you try to get the cam to play back the movie though the firewire to the PC?

If I just new there was a lossless, easy way to insure my videos would make it to the PC IN GOOD QUALITY I might for-go the HDD and just suffer through ( ) the 1x MiniDV recording onto the PC.

Again, the whole goal is I just want an easy way to get a video file onto my PC.

You are describing analog capture which is different from DV stream capture. DV stream capture is lossless but is not a file transfer.

Cheap MPeg2 consumer hard drive camcorders are able to transfer faster than 1x because they record to highly compressed files in the camcorder. If you don't edit, these can be authored directly to a DVD. If you do edit the decompression loss issues become important.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM

The .DV files are raw and yes you can compare them like a photo raw file that needs to be processed. If you use Vegas to edit your footage, Vegas has its own encoder built-in. Basically, it uses MainConcept to encode the raw files to whatever final format you like, for example like MPEG2. I don't use Vegas encoder, but TMPGEnc in stead. In Vegas, it uses the term encode as RENDER.

I'll give you an example of the total time to finish one hour of a video on a MiniDV tape. First, you need to have the right tools to do your job and I'm assuming you have those tools ready. It takes one hour to transfer your footage from the tape to the PC via firewire port. Only firewire port will work with MiniDV, nothing else. If you use Vegas to capture the footage, it has an option to capture in one whole file or it can split out each file when you pause/start your cam, or it's called Scene Detection. You can have hundreds of files in this case and you should do it this way because it much easier to delete the bad scenes. It'll take at least another hour to encode or render and at least another hour to author your final DVD, and another 10 minutes to burn your video. And of course, the time to edit is up to you. You can take an hour to edit or weeks or months to finish your editing. You now add those hours together and let see how much time it takes to finish a one hour video. It's not that easy to accomplish something like this, but it's not hard to do once you find the right path. It takes time to learn and spend money to get the right equipment.

Like I said before, the camcorder is just part of the video. You need a good tripod, good mic, good lighting, good angle, good objects, good composing and many more. This is one of the most important, the person behind the camera.

vcdlover
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Xeoncross

When you record onto a MiniDV tape it doesn't have any file format. MiniDV is just a series of 0's and 1's stored on a digital format. When you play that tape it is reproduced as audio and video. When you transfer a MiniDV tape to your computer you hooke a fireqire cable from your camera to your PC. You play the tape and use a program to take that video being played and get it onto your computer. To read the information coming from that tape the PC needs a format it can understand. For MiniDV that format is and AVI file, specifically DV-AVI. AVI is nothing more than a container to hold the video information so your PC can read it. DV-AVI can be manipulated, edited, and changed VERY easily and you can do whatever please with it after the changes are made. DV-AVI files are about 13GB per hour of video. They take up a good bit of space but are more than worth it if you can anything about quality.

Transferring MiniDV is not nearly as complicated or troublesome as you may believe it to be. IEEE-1394, a.k.a. "Firewire", is as easy to use as USB. Your computer will recognize your camera when you plug it in to your PC and should ask you what you want to do. Any editing program can transfer the footage to your hard drive. Windows Movie Maker or WinDV are free. All you have to do is make sure you choose DV-AVI as your format you want it transferred in. The transfer is real time which means if you record 1 hour of footage it takes 1 hour to transfer it. I believe there are expensive, high-end devices that can transfer faster than real time but they are only an option if you have a ton of money to spend.

So, MiniDV vs. HDD cameras:

MiniDV pros:
    High quality
    Long life
    Easy to edit footage

MiniDV cons:
    Transfer is real time

HDD pros:
    Good for point and shoot
    Transfer is faster than real time

HDD cons:
    Footage is highly compressed and difficult to make changes to
    Since there is not long term physical format for storage, i.e. tapes, footage can be lost more easily and is less likely to survive over time.

Does any of this help?
    Quote Quote  
  21. As others are indicating, you must not think of the MiniDV format as a file. Try to think of it this way:

When the camcorder is recording, it takes a picture 30 times a second (in the US) and also records the audio from the microphone. These get recorded onto the magnetic tape, just like with audio cassettes and VHS tapes except that the audio and video are converted to digital signals first. Each video frame is converted to a digital image very similar to a JPEG image. The audio is converted to a digital signal very similar to CD audio.

The tape merely contains a continuous stream of 'JPEG' images and 'CD' audio. Just like audio tapes or VHS tapes aren't files, neither are MiniDV recordings. An important feature is that you can go to any point on the tape and start reading the audio and video.

When playing the tape, the camcorder takes that digital information and on a bit-for-bit basis sends it to the FireWire port whether or not anything is interested in it.

If a PC is connected via FireWire, it can copy the data. It can't tell the camcorder when to send the data though. It's like television - you can record the program but you can't tell the transmitter to start and stop at your whim! When the PC gets the information, it has to do something with it. One thing is to simply play the video and audio live. Alternatively, to record it, it writes it to a file. It can be written simply bit-for-bit which is the raw .dv format or wrapped up in a special type of file such as an .AVI file. Either way, the DV data are EXACTLY the same as on the tape. No conversion is required. All that is required is a program that understands how to get the DV data out of the file and, if needed, how to convert the DV data to meaningful audio and video. Just about every video-related program can do both because Windows provides all the bits need.

A note about the HDD option - although it may be considered a file, you still have to get it into the PC. That process is similar to the FireWire one and is not instant. HDD camcorders really don't offer much advantage over DVD camcorders in terms of video quality and ease of editing.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks JohnnyMalaria, stantheman1976, orsetto, and vcdlover & edDV. Because you guys were willing to write a small book on MiniDV - I now have my answers.

One thing that I wasn't expecting out of all of this was the fact that I learned that editing is actually affected by your file/data type. I never thought about the fact that a compressed mpeg might be harder for the PC to work with.

So, can anyone recommend a good MiniDV Camcorder? I am shooting for < $350 as that is what all the ones I have looked at are priced around.

Also, does having a light on the cam really make that much difference in dark areas? Oh, and last but not least - what about all the talk I hear that MiniDV is being faded out?
    Quote Quote  
  23. The Panasonic PV-GS320 is about $375. Here's a link to the review on camcorderinfo.com with links at the top right to buy it.
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-PV-GS320-Camcorder-Review-32895/Handling-and-Use.htm
    All the places linked there are reputable dealers and you won't have to worry about getting ripped off.

The PV-GS320 is a consumer level 3CCD MiniDV camera. I use 3 different PV-GS series cameras and I cannot speak highly enough about them.

As far as low light, they are going to suffer but so does ANY consumer grade camcorder. Some do slightly better than others but unless you're willing to drop big bucks on a more professional grade camera you can't really do anything except get external lighting.

Yes, a good camera light really does make a big difference. Even a fairly small one line I have that is 40 watts makes a difference.

MiniDV cameras are being phased out of production sadly. It will still be a while before they're stopped altogether and you'll likely be able to buy tapes for years. Look at 8mm and VHS-C. They haven't been produced for quite a while but you can still buy tapes at Wal Mart.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="Xeoncross"]
    Really!? Ouch! I was planning on upgrading from my hi8 to a HDD recorder, because I was under the assumption when connected to the computer, I could see the camcorder HDD just as an external drive and simply copy files over. 'Guess I'll wait until someone comes forth with this feature!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="z0diac"]
    Really!? Ouch! I was planning on upgrading from my hi8 to a HDD recorder, because I was under the assumption when connected to the computer, I could see the camcorder HDD just as an external drive and simply copy files over. 'Guess I'll wait until someone comes forth with this feature!
    They already have that technology available for years called FireStore. You can read edDV's post above with link.

vcdlover
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After reading MiniDV I found that they said that the Sony DCR-DVD96, the Panasonic PV-GS250, and the Canon Elura 100 were the way to go.

The Panasonic PV-GS320 didn't score as well.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I don't think the GS250 is in production anymore. The GS320 is still being made and readily available. The main drawback to the 320 is not having a mic input. I wish the GS300 was still available. Panasonic is really weird about doing great one year and not so well the next.

The 320 has the advantage of having 3 CCD compared to the single CCD in the others you listed. For that fact alone it's better IMO.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I came in here last year because I was in a similar situation, I needed to replace my JVC VHS-C camcoorder. After A LOT of research and reading a lot of reviews, I bought the Panasonic PV-GS320 and could not be happier. It has far exceeded my expectations.

Be aware that they slice and dice these camcorders to reveal every little flaw, but in real world use, they are more than satisfactory. To give you an idea, I purchased the Canon Elura at the same time just in case I wasn't satisfied with the Panasonic. The Canon is still in the sealed box.

The Canon has the external mic input and I may have a need for that some day and I'll crack it open, otherwise, I am an extremely happy owner.

My thanks go to edDV and a few others who helped me choose the format. Buy it somewhere that you can return it. I seriously doubt that is going to happen. You're not going to get poorer lighting conditions than a nightclub and I just shot a concert in one and was very pleased and surprised by the results.
    Quote Quote  
  29. The Panasonic will suffer in extremely low light but so will every single consumer camcorder. IMO the GS320 gives the most "bang for the buck" as they say.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, well I have some questions about the GS320.

First it only has Firewire Output, is that a problem?

Second, the shutter speed is only:
    In Tape Mode: 1/50 - 1/8000 sec.
    In Card Mode: 1/25 - 1/2000 sec.
    Isn't DVD supposed to be 60fs?

and third pricegrabber says that the "Video Capture Format: [is] MJPEG"...?

However, the ratings for it is a strong 200+.
    Quote Quote