VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, have anyone find a way to fix the IMG Burn "No device detected" trouble in linux. I was able to solve his problem with decrypter, but i really love the build feature of IMG Burn.
    I'm running a PCLinuxOS 2007 on a AMD XP2000 with 1G of RAM, 2 DVD Burners and 2 HD.
    By the way I'm a complete noob in linux.

Regards
    I want to believe....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please elaborate. Its not clear as to what you are asking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run your wineconfig program. Might be in the menu if not, open a term, and type winecfg.

On the Applications tab, click add application, a browser should open, browse to ImgBurn.exe (Program Files\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe), change the type to Windows NT 4.0. Click apply.

Click on the drives tab, hit the show advanced button, make sure your DVD drive is listed as Type CD-ROM. If not change it. Click apply

Launch ImgBurn

Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I can tell, ImgBurn ONLY runs under Windows. That would mean that you are either running it under Wine or a similar emulator or running it in some kind of virtual machine. Running it in a virtual machine that runs some Windows variant should be OK. If you are using Wine, then for all we know your problem could be a Wine related issue. Wine emulation is not perfect and some programs don't run under it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For Linux, there's mkisofs to create the ISO image from a Video DVD structure. Once you have the ISO, burning it to disk is equally (even more!) trivial - In Ubuntu, you just right click the ISO and select Burn to disk from the context menu. I'm sure there's some equally simple way in PCLinux. No need for anything else.
    What I miss in Linux is more good apps to get the stuff off the original disk, than to create/burn my own...
    Running XP in a VM works, but it's also a hazzle making the host machine hardware accessible to the VM.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    For Linux, there's mkisofs to create the ISO image from a Video DVD structure. Once you have the ISO, burning it to disk is equally (even more!) trivial - In Ubuntu, you just right click the ISO and select Burn to disk from the context menu. I'm sure there's some equally simple way in PCLinux. No need for anything else.
    What I miss in Linux is more good apps to get the stuff off the original disk, than to create/burn my own...
    Running XP in a VM works, but it's also a hazzle making the host machine hardware accessible to the VM.

/Mats
    mkisofs in most default Linux systems has a 4gb bug do to being a hacked up bug ridden backport of 2004 code. Run mkisofs --version, make sure it doesn't point to genisoimage.
    correct output -
    mkisofs 2.01.01a33 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1993-1997 Eric Youngdale (C) 1997-2007 Jorg Schilling
    bad output -
    genisoimage 1.1.6 (Linux)
    Same thing with growisofs, which is used to burn DVDs in linux. You need to check that as well, with growisofs --versiion
    bad output -
    * growisofs by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 7.0.1,
    front-ending to genisoimage: genisoimage 1.1.6 (Linux)
    good output -
    front-ending to genisoimage: mkisofs 2.01.01a33 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1993-1997 Eric Youngdale (C) 1997-2007 Jorg Schilling

This is because Jorg Schilling moved his licensing to CDDL, so distro mainters have implemented cdrkit, which includes wodim, and genisoimage, which are bugged versions of cdrecord (wodim) and mkisofs (genisoimage). It's also a well documented bug with K3B which has finally a work around IF cdrecord and mkisofs are installed.

A_51 clearly has wine installed as his posted noted to running DVDDecrypter.

PGC Edit, and DVDFab both run without issues using wine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I had the same issue with imgburn with wine. Do like disturbed1 says by going into wine's configuration screen then click on the drives tab.

Now click the autodetect button.

Your dvd/cd drive should now show up...but your not finished.

Click on the drive letter of your dvd/cd and then click the advanced settings.

Make sure that the drive is set to cd-rom and not hard drive.

When finished click apply and imgburn should detect your drive then!

Hope this helps.

I had a heck of a time with this myself.

Side note sometimes wine will forget your settings (at least on my system) and you may have to do these steps again.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, it worked great...
    I want to believe....
    Quote Quote  
  9. just because i run on the same issue...

the quick fix is to copy on the \windows\system32 folder of WINE the wnaspi32.dll

and imgburn is able to detect drives

BHH
    HDConvertToX, AutoMen, AutoMKV Developer
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by disturbed1
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg

/Mats
    mkisofs in most default Linux systems has a 4gb bug do to being a hacked up bug ridden backport of 2004 code. Run mkisofs --version, make sure it doesn't point to genisoimage.
    correct output -
    mkisofs 2.01.01a33 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1993-1997 Eric Youngdale (C) 1997-2007 Jorg Schilling
    bad output -
    genisoimage 1.1.6 (Linux)
    Same thing with growisofs, which is used to burn DVDs in linux. You need to check that as well, with growisofs --versiion
    bad output -
    front-ending to genisoimage: genisoimage 1.1.6 (Linux)
    good output -
    front-ending to genisoimage: mkisofs 2.01.01a33 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1993-1997 Eric Youngdale (C) 1997-2007 Jorg Schilling

This is because Jorg Schilling moved his licensing to CDDL, so distro mainters have implemented cdrkit, which includes wodim, and genisoimage, which are bugged versions of cdrecord (wodim) and mkisofs (genisoimage). It's also a well documented bug with K3B which has finally a work around IF cdrecord and mkisofs are installed.

A_51 clearly has wine installed as his posted noted to running DVDDecrypter.

PGC Edit, and DVDFab both run without issues using wine.
    I have the wrong versions in ubuntu 8.04 LTS x64 so I compiled the latest version of cdrtools but still when I check with mkisofs --version I still get the wrong version. So how can I replace it in ubuntu? I always seem to fail when I try to install something manually... No icons are created in the program menu, I don't know where the program is installed...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you just did a simple make && make install, without specifying any preferences, it would most likely be installed in /opt/*whatever. You can do a find, whereis, slocate, or which command to locate the file.

cdrtools doesn't give you an icon , they are cli only tools.

I can't believe the bug would still exist in current versions of cdrkit (Debian's cdrtools fork). Perhaps you should try it first before attempting to fix what isn't broke
    Quote Quote