VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can you record with these tapes in LP mode to get 50% longer duration (124mins)? I’ve spoken with APR Media and they seem to doubt you can do this with the pro series 83 min tapes.

http://www.aprmedia.com/products-1777-Panasonic_Mini__DVM83PQ__.html?PHPSESSID=412d0fe...abd44c112d2d45
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LP mode just isn't worth the risk, IMO. It makes the tapes difficult to play back on other cameras, and in my experience opens you up to increased risk of data drop out and transfer problems.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    LP mode just isn't worth the risk, IMO. It makes the tapes difficult to play back on other cameras, and in my experience opens you up to increased risk of data drop out and transfer problems.
    I'd heard that if you keep with same deck/camera, there's virtually no risk. I intend keeping with the same JVC Mini-DV deck, but thanks for the warning.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought that - then my camcorder died.

Most of the LP tapes are useless on anything else.

The cost of repairing the camcorder is more than the cost of replacing all the tapes (with blank ones!), more than half the price of a new cheap camcorder, and (of course) much more than I saved using LP.

Had I recorded in SP, I could have bought a good used camcorder, transfered all the tapes to PC (should have done that before, but...) and sold the camcorder for the same as I'd paid for it.

As it is, I have to spend money having a 10 year old camcorder repaired, hoping that it can be brought back to life to rescue these old tapes.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote