VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    What composition size do I want for the printable area of an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper? Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What dpi are you printing at ?

Simply multiply the dpi (dots per inch) by the number of inches and you have your resolution.

Note : this will affect the appearance of any assets you bring in, however you can also adjust the dpi of an image from within photoshop.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most printers have "unprintable" (not sure if that's a word) margin areas, generally 0.2 to 0.75 inches, and it can vary from side to side. Only fancier printers can do "full bleed" (no margin) printing.

I don't understand what you're asking in your question.

dpi (dots per inch) depends on the printer. Most consumer printers (inkjets especially) have a hard time resolving past 300dpi, regardless of the higher dpi advertised. The nature of ink blurring (spreading during absorption) is what does it.

Images can be measured in several ways digitally, and resolution, dpi and print size all affect one another, in terms of output quality. The software used will also make some determinations in how information is printed (web browsers will print 72dpi just fine, while Photoshop would require true print-specified sizes .... and both could look the same, depending on the quality of the original image as measured in pixels).

How much of the page you want to print on is up to you. There is no rule that photos must be those silly 3x5, 5x7, 8x10 sizes. I almost never have images that size, often shooting narrow vertical shots or square shots... or whatever is needed for the project. White space is your friend, too.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess there is no simple answer, since margin sizes vary and it's dpi dependent - I'll figure out what will work best. Thanks both!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kippard
    I guess there is no simple answer, since margin sizes vary and it's dpi dependent - I'll figure out what will work best. Thanks both!
    I'm an idiot when it comes stuff like this...so i use a freebie called
    HP Image Zone Express.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if you really want a full 8.5x11" print right to bleed then design your print on 11x17 with the 8.5x11" print in the middle. If you do this try to design your image with an overbleed, that is make the image slightly larger than 8.5x11" so that when you cut it you have some room for error on the cut. It helps to add crop marks when you do this. 1/4" is a good size overbleed. You will need to have a printer that does 11x17" prints to make this work however.

Most people don't mind the small border around the print on an 8.5x11" print though. It depends on what you're using this print for.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Borderless printing is not all that uncommon is it? All of my cheapo HP deskjets can do it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For inkjets perhaps, but laser printers it is very rare if not impossible.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Laser printers full-bleed more than inkjets do. At least in my experience (many years of printing, since 80s).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kippard
    What composition size do I want for the printable area of an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper? Thank you!
    In general printing, graphics should be 300 dpi and text could be from 150 - 300 dpi. If there's anything beyond that won't be advantage. There are a lot of inkjet printers out there that can print borderless. There are none commercial laser printer that can do full bleed yet. Even Xerox iGen3 that costs about 1/2 mil or Canon 7000 1/3 mil. will not do full bleed. They will leave 2 mm non-printing area of the lead edge and 3 mm of the trail edge. If you want a full bleed page, you'll need to print on an oversize paper like 9x12 and trim it to the size you want.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good stuff. Thank you!
    Quote Quote