VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking for software that will let me author dvd/vcd, edit dvd/vcd's that have already been authored, edit the sound tracks, add/subtract subtitles, make titles, etc I don't ask for much, do I?

What would you recommend - that is stable? Preferably free
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Haopengyou
    I don't ask for much, do I?
    Yes you sure do!
    What you want is basically to disassemble DVD and VCD back to their fundamental parts. This can be done using freeware. As DVD and VCD are completely different beasts, for VCD there's VCDGear to get the mpg out. For DVD there are several rippers (DVDDecrypter most notably) that will rip the content out to elementary streams.
    Once you've edited the audio/video, you have to put it back together again. For VCD there's VCDEasy (the free version is still very good), for DVD there are many more apps - GfD is one of the best free.
    But be aware that VCD and DVD are end formats - not meant to be edited or mucked about wit.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The software you seek does not exist.

There are plenty of tools to author DVDs, from all-in-one programs like FAVC or DVD Flick, through to more manual applications such as GUIForDVDAuthor, that require you to encode your assets beforehand. All of these are free, and very good at what they do.

PGCEdit will allow you to make some changes to existing discs, and it's free (but not for the faint hearted). DVD Remake Pro is not free, but is more friendly in many respects and again allows some changes to be made.

Nothing will allow you to open an existing disc and make any changes you want, then save a new disc. This isn't like working in photoshop.

I don't care for VCDs, so I can't recommend anything in that realm.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    stable?
    I don't think you understand today's business model.
    good luck!
    Quote Quote