VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm MaddenPT and this is my first time posting on these forums. I've luked these boards several times when I was in need of help but now I can't find the solution to my current problem. So I'll try to be as clear and concise as possible to help you good folks understand my problem.

I'm currently using Aegisub to create subtitles on .ass format for a certain movie (1986's An American Tail). I'm planning on eventually hardsub them onto the video when I'm done. After creating 4 or 5 lines, I decided to see how the subtitles would look on the movie (it's in avi format).

So I saved them as .ass format, named the movie and the subtitles the same and used MPC to watch it. However, it seems that the movie is now acting really weird. The lower part of the screen is now black and the upper half has been divided into 2 small screens showing the same scene upside down. When I remove the subtitles, the video reverts to its original shape.

So this is my problem. I hope I can get some help from you guys who have helped me several times in the past. I'll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    gosh, are you making subtitles from scratch ?

Why don't you use SubRip format instead ?

Type the subtitles in regular text in Notepad, then put a timing line at the beginning of the file, and a timing line at the end of the file....between them just copy-paste the first timeline.

Like This :

00:01:13,485 --> 00:01:14,921
    O que é isso?

Nada.

A Jenny sabe?

01:33:28,100 --> 01:33:29,917
    O meu nome é Rogue.

As you see....lines 2 and 3 has the same timeline, you must only care about the correct START and END, of the first speech and last speech

Then, you can use Subtitles Workshop to sync all...readjusting times, and correcting FPS

As for rendering the subtitles, use DirectVobSub with MPC

And VobSub plugin for Vdub to make it permanently in AVI

I don't recommend that, because unless you configure very well the re-encoding codec in VDub you will lose quality

Good Luck / Boa Sorte
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firstly, thanks for the reply.

Secondly, the problem isn't the way I create the subtitles or what the format is (I've already tried .srt format). The problem is when I try to see the subtitles on the actual movie, the movie goes berserk
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MaddenPT
    Firstly, thanks for the reply.

Secondly, the problem isn't the way I create the subtitles or what the format is (I've already tried .srt format). The problem is when I try to see the subtitles on the actual movie, the movie goes berserk
    Well then, that's only a problem with the render of subtitles, as I said before....what do you use for that ? DirectVobSub ? a bunch of DS filters pack like FFDSHOW ? what ?

If you make a standard SubRip format (SRT) it is enough to use DirectVobSub and not that FFDSHOW hiper mega pack , if you don't know how to use that...it keeps control of everything

Remove FFDSHOW, and just use DirectVobSub with MPC its enough, light and doesn't damage your system

try that

You can send me a private message if you want to talk in your native language, whatever

good luck
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry for my noobiness but by "rendering subtitles" do you mean the font, color, size, etc I want to put on my subtitles? If so I use Aegisub for that.

And I'm sorry for only saying this now but before trying to follow with the project, I started by cutting a bit of his movie with VirtualDub (only 13 seconds from it) and adding some random subtitles to it (by naming the subtitles and the video the same). And it works fine, the video doesn't go berserk and subtitles are clear. I just don't know why it's acting all weird with the full movie.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    =====
    I'm sorry for my noobiness but by "rendering subtitles" do you mean the font, color, size, etc I want to put on my subtitles? If so I use Aegisub for that.
    ==========

Yes, by rendering I mean display them in any PC player like WMP, MPC, etc.

Aegisub is a tool for editing and creation of subtitles, just like Subtitle Workshop

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Subtitle_Workshop

outside that tools you are not able to play subtitles unless you have a subtitle directshow filter

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DirectVobSub.htm

===========
    And I'm sorry for only saying this now but before trying to follow with the project, I started by cutting a bit of his movie with VirtualDub (only 13 seconds from it) and adding some random subtitles to it (by naming the subtitles and the video the same). And it works fine, the video doesn't go berserk and subtitles are clear.
    ===========

First use the worldwide standard for subtitles : SubRip (SRT)

then try subtitle_workshop, and also try DirectVobSub with Windows Media Player

if you encounter the same problems it is codecs, otherwise it is a problem only with aegisub

you must do that tests
    Quote Quote