VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread

Threaded View

1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I was able to author a home made video into dvd format (both video_ts & audio_ts folders) and was able to drag the video_ts folder to mpc and watch.

When I tried to burn it to dvd, the LG player complained that it's an unknown disc. So far, I've used "Burnaware" & "CDBurnerXP" on both DVD -R & DVD +R without success. Each time, the video_ts & audio_ts folder is burned to the disc.

Can anyone suggest how I can successfully burn to DVD so that it can be played on a standalone player?

Thanks !

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Give IMGBURN or InfraRecorder a shot.

You are chosing DVD-VIDEO, and not DATA DVD as the project?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the reply, disturbed1...

ok... i think that's where i went wrong...

is there a difference between burning as dvd-video and data dvd?... i thought as long as the video_ts folder is there, it should be ok... guess i'm wrong...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Burning as DATA DVD will only place the files on the disc in ISO9660 format. DVD-VIDEO requires UDF (1.02) format.

NTFS, FAT32, JFS, ReiserFS, they are all just file systems for hard drives. ISO9660 and UDF are file systems for optical discs. Much in the way Windows will not read my JFS formated hard drives, most DVD-VIDEO player will not properly read a DVD formated to ISO9660 without the UDF format as well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi disturbed1,

thanks for the explanation... now i know...

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    update :

1) used ImgBurn and successfully burned (ISO9660 UDF format) the dvd but standalone player still doesn't recognise it... it's perpetually doing a disc format every time it is popped into the standalone player...

2) when loaded into pc, it auto ran and played using Windows Media Player 11 without the menus (the dvd was authored with menu selection)

3) drag & dropped video_ts into MPC (media player classic) and it played fine

why does the same disc behave so differently?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could be an authoring error? Bad media? or combo of both?

Does WMP 11 auto play pressed (Store Bought) DVDs with menus? If so, sounds like you made an opps with the authoring. Check where your first play points to in the authoring app. For media, try not burning at the fastest speed. Maybe 8x or even 4x.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CDBurnerXP Pro actual says that it doesn't burn DVD Video

When you burn with Imgburn, select Mode -> Build, then use the folder browse (not file browse) and select the Video_TS folder. Imgburn automagically knows that you are buring a DVD Video and takes care of the rest itself.

What media are you using ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes.. i know my mistake in using cdburnerxp... i thought it was just "copying" the video_ts folder...

that's why i tried ImgBurn upon disturbed1's advice & explanation... used the folder browser in ImgBurn and selected "video_ts"...

media used is verbatim dvd -r
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have DVD Info Pro can you do a Media Info on the burned disc and post the results ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What software did you use to author the DVD? And is the standalone a DVD Recorder/Player unit?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guns1inger : i'll try to provide the info later as i don't have the dvd with me now...

GeorgeW : used GUI for DVDauthor to author the dvd... the unit is an LG dvd recorder/player

edit : found a post by disturbed1 which i found interesting in thread "Prot DVD test results" which he said "Many players have issues seeing a disc under 2,000 sectors (~4GB). "... i wonder if this could be the cause as the burned dvd is under 4GB...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here's the dvdinfo... hope it helps...

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok... tried another method using an iso image...

- used ImgBurn and "build" an .iso then again used ImgBurn to "write" the dvd... again when played on the LG standalone dvd recorder/player the disc format problem occurred...

- Windows Media Player 11 auto played the dvd without the menu selection

- when i dragged & dropped the video_ts folder into mpc (media player classic), it played correctly, that is, the selection menu appeared...

this is puzzling...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try Nero to see if it helps. A lot of people here are not quite happy with Nero, but I am. When you open Nero, please choose DVD-VIDEO and drag all files from the VIDEO_TS. On the left panel, you'll notice that Nero already creates VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders for you. If Nero doesn't give any warning about your files, you should be good to go. After this, if you still can't play this DVD, you may have a problem with your player. By the way, do you know if your player can definitely play a DVD-R or +R?

vcdlover
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rancid
    guns1inger : i'll try to provide the info later as i don't have the dvd with me now...

GeorgeW : used GUI for DVDauthor to author the dvd... the unit is an LG dvd recorder/player

edit : found a post by disturbed1 which i found interesting in thread "Prot DVD test results" which he said "Many players have issues seeing a disc under 2,000 sectors (~4GB). "... i wonder if this could be the cause as the burned dvd is under 4GB...
    It's a rare bug in some players. I had a philips all in one unit that had this issue. It had another as well, would not play a DVD that did not have a VIDEO_TS.VOB file Means movie only backups with DVD Shrink, and any project authored with RealDVD simply would not work.

About your LG unit, have you ever been able to play a home burnt DVD-VIDEO on it? If yes, this would point to an authoring error of some sorts. A PC player is not as picky as a stand alone DVD Player. I would take your MPEG2 video file and ac3 audio file and author a quick disc with MuxMan. I'll with hold my comments about GUI for dvdauthor, as I've only used a very very old version. You may also want to give DVDStyler and or DVDAuthorgui a shot.

Also another authoring oddity, there are some players that exhibit issues with DVDs that have mp2 and/or LPCM used as the sound. Especially in menus. Even if you didn't create a menu, a dummy one is made. Perhaps the authoring software incorrectly used mp2 as the dummy audio. Even though mp2 and LPCM are perfectly defined in the DVD spec.
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote