VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully someone can give me a solution to this problem i am having with a Plextor PX810SA dvd burner.
    It will play anything i put in it and it will burn cds without any problems but as soon as i try to burn a dvd i keep getting errors.
    I have already updated the firmware to the lastest release and tried different brands of dvds but still as soon as it starts to burn a dvd i get an error message right away.
    Tried to use Nero and Roxio to name a few and it's the same thing on all of them.
    Since i know you will ask here are some basic specs of my comp:
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    4G Ram 1066 fsb
    Plextor PX810SA burner
    4 HDs in raid 0+1
    Anyone have any idea what i can try next?
    Thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I know what you can do next, but you won't like it. The fact that CDs burn fine and DVDs do not means almost certainly that the DVD laser (CDs use a different laser from DVDs) has failed and all you can do is replace the burner. Sorry, but it happens. I have a burner from LG that I didn't even get 2 years out of before this happened to me, but I've kept it for a while as it has some value to me for still being able to burn CDs. I'm going to replace it within the next month or two though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if it's less than a year old i get an rma and would send it back for replacement.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ya getting an rma is what i was thinking too but i just tried to burn a dvd at 2.4x instead of 4x and it works so got any ideas as to why this might be happening?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i would not to a RMA just yet since there are some things you can do to make sure the drive is working correctly.
    you have a SATA DVD burner and from what you posted you're using RAID which will make the dvd burner not burn at correct speeds. you have a few things you can do like downloading the latest NVIDIA drivers for the SATA chipset controller on your mobo by going to the NVIDIA website. Or disable RAID in your mobo BIOS but not sure if that'll affect your hard drives that you're using RAID function. Or buy a SATA PCI CONTROLLER card with the SILICON IMAGE 3112/3114 chipset. with SATA dvd burners there are lots of variables because not all mobo SATA controllers will work with them. this is especially with older mobos which have SATA connections that were specifically made to only work with hard drives. mobo's with INTEL chipsets have no problems with SATA DVD burners.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will go look at the nvidia site to see if there's a new version of the drivers for their chipset but as for the mobo this is the newest one the is made by asus so i doubt it it's made to handle SATA burners.
    As for the raid there's no way to disable it without re-installing everything on my comp since it's setup in 0+1.
    But if you are right about the raid interfering with the burner it would explain why i can burn at 2.4x and not at 4x.
    Once i get the latest driver for the chipset i will try again and post back if it still won't work properly. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nephilim
    I will go look at the nvidia site to see if there's a new version of the drivers for their chipset but as for the mobo this is the newest one the is made by asus so i doubt it it's made to handle SATA burners.
    As for the raid there's no way to disable it without re-installing everything on my comp since it's setup in 0+1.
    But if you are right about the raid interfering with the burner it would explain why i can burn at 2.4x and not at 4x.
    Once i get the latest driver for the chipset i will try again and post back if it still won't work properly. Thanks for the help.
    If after loading the latest drivers from NVIDIA and the drive still doesn't burn at correct speed, you will probably have to end up buying a SATA PCI CONTROLLER card w/the SILICON IMAGE 3112/3114 chipset. You can also test the drive in another computer preferably one that has INTEL chipset such as ICH8/9. I'd try those things out first before deciding to RMA back to PLEXTOR.
    Quote Quote