VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the fist time I am attempting to burn multiple avi's to a dvd, and am not totally sure how to do this, as I've only done singles.

The avi's that I have are of different places while on vacation. I want to be able to burn as many as possible to a DVD-r or DVD dl . I would like to be able to have a menu as a start page, so I can choose which one I want to watch at that time.

A freind recommended using Nero Vision. I have ver4. I spent a few hours recently adding files in the creation process, creating a slick simple menu, to achieve what I want to do. 3 times now during the burn/creation process, it has puked out and crashed my system. At this point I'm really pssd with the prog. I've tried it set to "burn to disc" and "burn as image". Same results.

Would anyone have any other suggestions of a different prog to use, something simple and not too complicated. I do have Avi2DVD, but have only ever used it for single avi's .. not even sure if it can do multiple. Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That's kind of the way NVE is. Works sometimes.

You could also try the freeware FAVC. It should be able to handle multiple AVIs. Or for payware, ConvertXToDVD is fairly easy and versatile.

Or probably the best way is to encode the files separately to DVD compliant MPEG-2 video, then use a authoring program to generate your menus if you have any special wants. GUI for dvdauthor is a freeware authoring program.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks ..... I will give FAVC a try.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM

does FavC let you make a menu?? I tried that once and maybe i did it wrong but it converted the 3 avi's into one dvd?

i'm basically having the same problem... i used nero vission express 3 and i added the three avi's and then even made a menu with audio on it... i saved it to hardrive and it works great... but then downloaded onto a dvd rw and it wont play in any of the two dvd players...

when i download something either as a dvd or an avi it works great in both the dvd players but when i did this one (3 videos on a dvd with a menu) it wont play at all...

what can be the problem??
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't even try to convert 3...4 or even more videos with other tool than VSO ConvertXtoDVD

That is the more reliable 1-PASS tool for episodes, or similar...like your case

Imagine you have 3 movies...totally and absolutely different

AVI2DVD will make at least 1 pass for each of them, or even more, perhaps 3 PASS which makes 3 * 3 = 9 passes total

If you have different type of movies, or episodes, FORGET IT !!! nothing better than VSO ConvertXtoDVD...a single pass encoder that can include menus as you want

AVI2DVD is not suitable for that...none of all-in-one is

Well...it is possible...but takes to long..in old PCs

There is 2 JOIN METHODS ... AND ONLY 2 METHODS :

1) join avis with VDub or similar..
    2) convert each of them and author them together

method 1 is fast, and in my opinion should be used by all free softs. But not using VDub which fails most of the times

method 2 takes more time, you can get good results with free-tools but it IS FOOLISH, because VSO does that in half of the time

Join CD1 and CD2 ... it's easy....more than that...use VSO or wait...wait...and wait....

AVI2DVD doesn't join movies, neither TFM, or DIKO, or whatever..they just author them together ... method 2

if you want to test method 1 and method 2...use a gui like this :

http://avi2iso.planetaclix.pt/avi2iso.rar ( needs WinRar to unpack and .NET 2.0 )

it accepts the 2 join methods...with CCE SP2...whatever
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by UmmAddan

does FavC let you make a menu?? I tried that once and maybe i did it wrong but it converted the 3 avi's into one dvd?

i'm basically having the same problem... i used nero vission express 3 and i added the three avi's and then even made a menu with audio on it... i saved it to hardrive and it works great... but then downloaded onto a dvd rw and it wont play in any of the two dvd players...

when i download something either as a dvd or an avi it works great in both the dvd players but when i did this one (3 videos on a dvd with a menu) it wont play at all...

what can be the problem??
    FAVC does make a menu, tho very basic. It sounds like many are using it with success. I tried it last nite, and it took a long time to encode the 5 avi's that I gave it. I was really frustrated after burning it to dvd, as audio was very noticibly out of sync. I have no idea why. I actually tried encoding twice, once using HC and second using QuEnc. Both turned out with the sync problem. I've had no problem doing singles with Nero BR, but I've never directly used NV until doing the multiples, which screwed up. Not sure with you, but maybe the player didn't like the format. I was never able to get as far to put it on DVD with NeroVision
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Candoo

FAVC does make a menu, tho very basic. It sounds like many are using it with success. I tried it last nite, and it took a long time to encode the 5 avi's that I gave it. I was really frustrated after burning it to dvd, as audio was very noticibly out of sync. I have no idea why. I actually tried encoding twice, once using HC and second using QuEnc. Both turned out with the sync problem. I've had no problem doing singles with Nero BR, but I've never directly used NV until doing the multiples, which screwed up. Not sure with you, but maybe the player didn't like the format. I was never able to get as far to put it on DVD with NeroVision

As I said before...none...absolutely none free tool give you fast and reliable encoding of multiple AVIs...more than 2, I mean CD 1 and CD2

FORGET IT !!!

If you have CD1 and CD2, what do you do ?

use Vdub to join them ? foolish because it fails 80% of the time

use AVIMux-Gui to join them ? good choice, more reliable and less errors you get

And what about episodes ? without any relationship or similarities between them ? what do you do ?

unless you have a good system, dual-core or better, it is absolutely foolish to use all-in-one tools...or similars to encode multiple files

there is only 2...and only 2 choices :

- join them all togueter - as like Vdub or Avimux-gui
    - convert each of them separately and author them together

VSO takes much less and does that in ... 40m ? whatever...it is unbeatable
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Candoo
    Use AVIMux-Gui, separately on each file. When you hit 'Generate' you'll probably see this:

Hit 'Start' and save a new version. Check the new ones (the Delay will be eliminated) for sync, if they seem fine try using these for your project.

Do note (as was mentioned) unless you are real picky ConvertXtoDVD will probably handle your originals. It provides a basic menu, fast results and usually produces no sync problems. Give the trial a shot.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, AVIMux-Gui is the better tool to join and even correct bad chunks of audio/delays....it is often used by hordes of all-in-one users

But be carefully if you use SUBTITLES, because you must delay timelines for CD2...CD3...etc.....otherwise you will get subtitles out of sync

http://avi2iso.planetaclix.pt/avi2iso.rar ( needs WinRar to unpack and .NET 2.0 )

makes all of that automatically, it joins like AVIMux ( using Mencoder ) or...it authors them together in jobs

As for bad-chunks or delays in MP3...it uses the same algorithm, or very close....Alexander-Noe stuff

you can also use VSO ConvertXtoDVD with that tool

it's easy
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OKAY THIS IS GOING to sound like such a stupid question but i really dont get it.
    what is the difference between AVI-Mux GUI and AVI2ISO?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OKAY THIS IS GOING to sound like such a stupid question but i really dont get it.
    Imagine you have a movie with CD1 and CD2, with subtitles

movie_cd1.avi
    movie_cd2.avi

movie_cd1.srt
    movie_cd2.srt

just insert them and it will join and sync all together. It also can join episodes, but it is no so reliable as VSO with episodes...unless using jobs

The difference, well...it joins...I don't know how to explain, see by yourself

You don't need to use AVIMux-Gui or any other tool, even for subtitles....just insert them to encode...just insert

the link is this

http://avi2iso.planetaclix.pt/avi2iso.rar ( you need WinRAR to unpack/unzip and .NET 2.0 )

good luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Running your AVI's through AVI-Mux GUI (one at a time) will hopefully (very often actually) give you an AVI that can be converted with no audio sync problems.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MysticE
    Running your AVI's through AVI-Mux GUI (one at a time) will hopefully (very often actually) give you an AVI that can be converted with no audio sync problems.

yeah..one at a time...not joining them, because CD1 can be error-free but CD2 not, the resulting joined file will get out of sync

that algorithm is built in inside avi2iso, so almost no differences

also, Soopafresh and Jagger algorithms are built-in for upmixing to 5.1 (audio forum)

it is all there
    Quote Quote