VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, after much consideration on building a computer from scratch, I have decided to upgrade the PC I currently have, I don't know a lot about some of these products so I need some help:

- 2x1GB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
    - I'm not sure how to choose graphic cards, but I am looking for one suitable for current gaming so at least 256MB
    - 500GB Hard Drive
    - DVD-RW SATA Drive - not sure if its a good choice or not
    - Card Reader

Those are my choices so far.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the spec in your details are correct, you definitely need to start with more RAM. It must run like it is in treacle with only 256k!

Get the 500GB hard drive but fit it in addition to and not instead of your existing 80GB one. Put the OS and programs on the small one. If your motherboard has SATA get a SATA hard drive.

The same goes for a DVD-RW drive. If you have SATA, use it, otherwise get an IDE one. Although SATA is faster, you don't really need it for an optical drive.

As for the graphics card, I'm not into gaming but recently put a machine together for someone that is. For current games something like this is regarded as the minimum http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=4SQ9
    Quote Quote  
  3. The first thing you have to do is figure out whether you have AGP or PCIe for graphics. If AGP you really should get a whole new computer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how do I know if I have AGP or PCIe? and how do I know if my PC has SATA?

and is the RAM I posted good? or is it better to get a named brand?

The RAM "Richard_G" has posted is way to expensive for me, I was looking for somthing around £50, and it has to be DDR?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You would really have to know the brand and model of your motherboard to choose the memory to use. Some older motherboards may not work with 1GB RAM modules. The motherboard info would also tell you whether you have AGP or PCI-E slots. But I suspect AGP if your MB RAM is DDR instead of DDR-2. You CPU seems fast enough, but your system would really be crippled if you only have 256MB RAM at present.

Try running CPU-Z and it should tell you your motherboard name, the amount and type of RAM you have: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php I think 1.42 is the latest version.

This from my laptop. It has a AGP slot.

Under 'Manufacturer' you should see your MB brand, then below, the model number. You can go to the manufacturer and download the operating manual most times and it should tell you what RAM you need, and whether you have SATA ports. Below that, you can see this computer has a AGP port with a 4X speed. That would tell you what card you could use.

This is from the memory page. It tells the name, brand and type of memory in use. Most major memory companies, like Crucial, Mushkin or similar have a 'RAM finder' program where you enter your motherboard model and brand, and they will tell you what memory is compatible.

You can also post those type of screenshots from CPU-Z here for advice. https://forum.videohelp.com/topic271697.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you better think again, the 'RAM' I linked to is a graphics card...... About the lowest spec that is regarded as up to the job for modern games too. You can pay way more for a top notch gaming graphics card.

Only you will know if the RAM you posted is good. What sort of RAM does your motherboard take?

If you don't know if you have AGP or PCIe, what sort of RAM you need or if you have SATA or not, maybe you'd be better off just going out and buying a machine.

At least speak to somebody that can identify what you have at the moment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As with any upgrade (or even purchase for that matter) your budget controls your choices.

If it is a particularily old machine it may not even support the ram you are considering buying and it certainly will not have SATA inputs.

But follow that system spec link and tell us what you have. All may not be lost.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If your computer came with a manual you should look for its specs in there. Otherwise, google for images of EIDE, SATA, AGP, and PCIe connectors. Then open up your system and look at the motherboard. See which you have.

It probably won't be an issue with a <US$100 graphics card, but high end graphics cards require lots of power and might require a bigger power supply.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I currently have AGP and 256MB DDR PC2700 RAM. Does this mean I cannot buy SATA drives? Should I buy a new motherboard? I have a Sapphire Radeon 9200 128MB graphics card, I just need a little update something suitable for games.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will struggle to find an AGP graphics card.

But you still have not told us what motherboard you have !!!!!

SATA has nothing to do with either AGP or the memory - my old Pentium MB had all of these.

But if you consider a new motherboard then you will probably need DDR2 memory AND a new CPU. Then you will probably find that your PSU (Power Supply) is not powerful enough. The list is endless.

By the time you have paid those those, you might as well consider a new PC. Dell are good value for money and they have different specs for different uses.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I fried the board on my good computer two days ago and an upgrade is out of the question for me since my processor is a 478 pin 3.2Ghz P4.

Nothing that I have can be used on a new motherboard, except for my two SATA drives and my two DVD combo drives since the new boards only have one ATA connector for my optical drives (could get a ATA controller card I guess but there aren't very many PCI slots on the new boards). My 2GB of DDR 400 memory won't work. 478 pin Pentium 4 3.2Ghz with fan, no good on new motherboards.

I will have to buy a new 775 motherboard with probably a 935 Pressler Pentium D or 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 which may be almost impossible to find and one stick of DDR2 memory since my budget won't allow for a Dual Core 6600. I'll probably have to buy the processor first before they are all obsolete and get the board and memory later when I can afford it. I'm not even sure that Windows 2000 will even run on these new boards but I think my old ATI AIW 7500 PCI video will still work until I can afford to buy a HD PCI-E video card.

Not sure why anyone even calls it upgrade anymore since the whole idea of the industry is to force you to buy a whole new system every three or four years. This would probably be the time to stop wasting my life on computers but I still have this 9 year old Celeron to keep my addiction going until I can afford to build another one.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my motherboard name is: Gigabyte GA-8I848PM
    Quote Quote  
  13. That motherboard does appear to have SATA.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, from the Gigabyte site I find these motherboards (their archive doesn't seem to include that final letter M):

Gigabyte GA-8I848PM

P version 2.0
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=1787
    1. Supports Intel® Pentium® 4 processor with HT technology
    2. Supports high efficiency DDR400 memory
    3. Integrated high-speed SATA interface (150MB/s)
    4. Features AGP 8X interface for excellent graphics performance
    5. Integrated high quality 8-channel AC' 97 audio

P-L
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1706
    1. Supports 800MHz FSB Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology
    2. New generation DDR400 architecture
    3. Integrated Serial-ATA interface (150MB/s)
    4. Supports AGP 8X interface for higher graphics performance
    5. Provides 8 USB 2.0 ports for high-speed connectivity
    6. Integrated Intel® PRO/100 VE network connection
    7. Integrated high quality 6-channel AC’97 audio with Jack-Sensing

So, even being not sure of that "PM" version, it looks like your video cards that you can use on the motherboard have to be of the AGP interface. You can't use the newer PCIe kind.

Your SATA (serial ATA) interface is half the speed all the newer boards can work with, but I have that for mine as well. It only means that for any SATA hard drive you use, its top speed will be limited due to the motherboard. Doesn't mean it won't work.

For checking your memory, I would suggest you go to the Crucial Memory site. They have a nice wizard that will tell you the exact memory you can use when you specify your motherboard.

For (older, such as the AGP) graphics cards, you could still try searching the web.
    I would recommend the NewEgg site as they usually have good, cheap prices and a fairly large inventory.
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand how you found out if my motherboard was SATA compatible.

Is it worth to buy a new motherboard at the moment?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Nitro89
    I don't understand how you found out if my motherboard was SATA compatible.
    I searched with google and found some old web sites that listed the features.

Some current AGP graphics cards:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/12/03/best_graphics_card/page5.html

Performance charts:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wow, thank you for that, also, because my PC runs on DDR memory, does this mean my graphics card needs to be DDR too?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Nitro89
    wow, thank you for that, also, because my PC runs on DDR memory, does this mean my graphics card needs to be DDR too?
    No.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Initially, if you intend sticking with your existing motherboard and processor, this http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?quicklinx=4PDT will give you a phenominal increase in performance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G
    Initially, if you intend sticking with your existing motherboard and processor, this http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?quicklinx=4PDT will give you a phenominal increase in performance.
    but take care as Pentium MBs usually require 2 memory sticks - double the cost.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, when it comes to memory, I can only use DDR but when it comes to graphics cards, I can use GDDR3 and DDR2?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Nitro89
    So, when it comes to memory, I can only use DDR but when it comes to graphics cards, I can use GDDR3 and DDR2?
    yes.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when chosing RAM, does it really make a difference if its PC2700, DDR PC3200 or DDR PC4000? What does Non-ECC mean, is it better not to have it (I know its something to do with error checking)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You do not have a choice between non-ecc and ecc memory - most motherboards do NOT support ecc memory it's mostly for servers.

PC3200 memory is faster than PC2700 memory.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't find any PC4000 DDR RAMs, do they even exist?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Nitro89
    I can't find any PC4000 DDR RAMs, do they even exist?
    I buy most parts from newegg.com

pc4000 cost a lot of money.,and i'm sure your pc doesn't take advantage of it.just buy pc3200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000170147%201052107965%20...nd&Order=PRICE

videocard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609639+1068...Force+7+series

don't spend too much on upgrades .ddr memory is out of the door soon and it's more expansive than ddr2,also APG is done too

i forgot you live in the UK,so forget about newegg
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to spend about £50 on graphics, £50 on RAM, £50 for hard drive and that's really it, later on this year or next year when I have money, I will sell this pc and build one myself.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To be on the safe side, as your motherboard might require 2 memory sticks, go for either this http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=3PYG&CategorySelectedId=11150&aQuicklin...3PYG&InMerch=1 this http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=2Z7N&CategorySelectedId=11150&aQuicklin...2Z7N&InMerch=1 or this http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=47TC&CategorySelectedId=11150&aQuicklin...47TC&InMerch=1

Keeping in budget on the hard drive will be no problem but the graphics card will be. Fifty quid isn't going to get you anything better than you already have. For gaming you need to spend at least 3 times that but as you have AGP your choice is very limited anyway.

The additional memory will make a huge difference in performance, if it is still sluggish, do a format and re-install to clear all the crap out.
    Quote Quote  
  29. In my opinion it doesn't worth upgrading an old computer. Cheapest dual core will beat almost most sdram type of computer. I'm not sure how much is a cheap computer in UK but in US you can get one for around $300 to $400. Upgrading will cost you the same and you are stuck with an old system. If you want a better system by means of upgrading, you have to change CPU, motherboard and RAM. The rest of the needed pieces are $30 to $40 a piece. My suggestion eg Asus P5E-VM DO around $130 RAM 1GIG DDR2 $35 CPU your choice any cheap dual core around $200 and some cheap extras you get a hi def hdmi computer that is good enough for playing games too. A used game console is also a cheaper choice than building a game computer that crashes ...
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The UK is very expensive with computers at the moment, I was thinking to upgrade this one and sell it later on in the year and once I have enough money, I would build one. For Graphics card, this is the cheapest AGP I could find and judging by the reviews, its quite good, Sapphire X1550 512MB DDR2
    Quote Quote