VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a video file in .IMG format. I opened it up and it has an AUDIO_TS and a VIDEO_TS folder inside. There's nothing in the AUDIO_TS folder, but in the VIDEO_TS folder there are several .BUP, .VOB, and .IFO files. How can I convert these files into .AVI or .MPG? I know with .ISO files, it's the .DAT file, but I don't see anything like that in here.

Thanks in advance for the help. I tried searching with no luck.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You didn't search too hard. Take a look to the upper left on this page for 'WHAT IS' DVD. It will tell you about the DVD structure, format and specifications. The AUDIO_TS folder is normally empty. It's for digital audio and not much used.

The VIDEO_TS folder has the video in the VOB files. But the VOBs also contain the menus, the chapters and the audio, including different languages, along with subtitles. The BUPs are backups for the VOBs and the IFOs are information about the audio, subs and chapters. Sort of the index to it all.

VOB files are already MPEG-2 most times. You can extract one large MPEG file from them with VOB2MPG or use a program like AUTOGK to convert the VIDEO_TS folders to AVI type files like Xvid or Divx.

You might want to do a bit of reading.

And welcome to our forums.

EDIT: And I forgot to add, a image file is just a container or wrapper to hold the files. Once extracted, you should have VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Honestly, I only searched once. I know how mad some people get on other forums when you don't search so I just felt I'd mention I tried. Thanks for the help redwudz. Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not mad. Just mentioning. But a good understanding of the DVD structure is important if you are dealing with that format. It's a fairly rigid structure and needs to be adhered to for the best compatibility.
    Quote Quote