VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have this issue with Dell Inspiron 6400, where I got the blue screen of death every time I open the door after finishing backing up my files to DVD-R or even DVR-WR. So, what is wrong ? anybody with this issue ?

I am thinking of getting a nice medium level deskstop to process DVDs, +/- @2000AU. Is Dell a good one to go for ????

Thanks

Peace
    Holeepassion.com administrator
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could be hardware or software related. You could try uninstalling/reinstalling the software you are using. Also, there are codes on the BSOD which are helpful in troubleshooting.

As for a new pc, I've always been partial to building my own. You then get to choose exactly which hardware you get. But if I was to buy a prebuilt system, it would be from Dell.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A (3rd party dvd) driver craps up your whole system.
    Test if burning in SAFE MODE works.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks Krispy and _chef_ for ther responses

Chef, you mean I have accidentally installing 3rd party dvd driver ?

Hmmmm ... I tried to install using Dell not so genius resource DVDs ... as usually they are not much help !!!

I might try to do the safe mode thingy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Please post some info about the burner, mobo and the controller/drivers used.

Could be that installing the standard atapi drivers from m$ could solve the isue.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi _chef

How are you going ? thanks for following this up ....

When I check the drivers used, it shows Microsoft Driver, 5.1.2535.0 .. Microsoft Windows Publisher

Dell NEC ND-6650A slim 8x DVD+/-RW model

could this be the cuplprit ??? where do I get the correct driver ????
    Quote Quote  
  7. I am wondering how to check the MOBO ??? and how to install the standard atapi drivers ????

Now it seems that I cannot format my black dvd's .. not recognising it as a dvd writer !!!

I check the internet .... running directX .... BIOS Phoenix ROM BIOS Plus V1.10.A03
    Process CPU T2400 @ 1.83 Ghz (2 CPUs)

Not sure if above the information needed ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can go to the Dell website and use your model and s/n information to pull up the download section which will include all of the drivers needed for your PC. It may be worth reloading all of the drivers.

You can also look in the system event manager. Windows may be logging the error(s) which will be helpful for troubleshooting.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you just uninstalled the drive and ide drivers/channels in devicemanager?
    Quote Quote  
  10. no i never done all that _chef_ ...

i did reinstall my xp though due to McAfee from Dell ...
    i think i still have the blue screen when i open the door after i have written something on the dvd ...

the issue with not recognising the dvd writer is due to software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check your event viewer for error messages.

Sometimes XP will tell you what it has seen. My gut is you have a bad drive.

As for considering a desktop system, Dell will usually provide you with an overpriced, low-ball configured machine. If the market in Australia is anything like the US, HP/Compaq or other reputable vendors will provide you with more hardware, more consistant components and a lower price than Dell. Also check out Acer and Lenovo.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks for the response and I think you are right about that.

Yeah, Dell tends to provide junks like McAfee that you cannot use in other computers.

I have just bought their XPS for video processing. I think they are a bit overpriced. It would be the last time I would buy from them I think.

I might be venturing into Apple, to avoid with lots of productivity lost due to constant issues with Microsoft OS.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For me it was just a crapy DVD player.
    The problem is that the tray doesnīt open in time (button on dvd or button on keypad) and aperantly my notebook gets crazy not knowing if the tray is open or closed.
    Cleaning the tray with alcohol and using a bit lubrificant helps a bit.
    But I onīt know if this is a solution for your problm as well
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hardware failure is the usual cause for bsod's related to tray opening ... disassemble the unit to gain access to the retaining screw holding the burner in place, withdraw unit and plug it back in more than once to make clean contact with motherboard connection ... there the part that tends to crap out on some models.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    gunie32 grave robbed a dead 3 year old post for his debut here. no need to carry it further.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote