VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search PM
    Okay here is a small update. This should take care of the missing image problem. Replace the hcbatchgui in your current package with this one.

Download updated binary

Download full updated package from sourceforge

Solved!
    [s:7b4d27bd51]As a side note I am starting to get seriously ticked off at wxwidgets. I have spent the past couple of days recompiling wxwidgets into static libraries to make the binary self sufficient. I am having no luck. I have done everything like I was supposed to do and yet the app will still not work unless you download external libraries mentioned in an earlier post. So I'm now looking into alternatives. Right now I'm looking as Lazarus for an IDE which uses free pascal for it's language.[/s:7b4d27bd51]
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Freebird,

Thanks as always for your hard work! I will give it another go.

BTW WinFF is written with Lazarus, Matt, the developer is very forthcoming with info, if you want to pick his brain: www.winff.org
    Quote Quote  
  3. don't want to bother... but even purebasic can bring good result in very self contained executable

btw look at autoff source just for a "view" http://www.64k.it/andres/data/autoff/autoff_0_99_1.tar.gz

very easy to learn, even for me

BHH
    HDConvertToX, AutoMen, AutoMKV Developer
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hey buzzqw
    Your no bother at all. I appreciate any input. Actually I already have looked at your source for autoff and yes I probably could learn it easily enough but... purebasic is $99 and Lazarus/free pascal is free and my wife would kill me if I bought another piece of software right now!

Off topic I really need to update my windows build but I just want this linux build to work like it is supposed to.
    Quote Quote  
  5. well.. i informed my wife after i buy the license

BHH
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ha, that reminds me,

HUSBANDS CREDO:

"It's always easier to beg for forgiveness, than to ask for permission"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OhOh! (covers head and ducks)

The latest executable won't run unless I run it from the terminal as a user, not root(?) Even with the permissions set to "execute as a program". Thought I'd better let you know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well horse puckey! Gosh golly dang darn it all to heck.... hey I have young kids. That's about as bad as my cursing gets

That is really wierd. I also had to set it to execute as a program but after that it worked okay. I guess it is just one more thing on my list to figure out!

Right now that $99 would be worth it if I could make this dang thing work right.

Oh well. Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    SUCCESS! I think I've got it. I once again recompiled wxwidgets into a static library using the "--disable-shared" option and then recompiled hcbatchgui. I then tested this new binary by putting in my ubuntu live cd and running my computer from the live cd. I figured if it would run from a live cd with no libraries installed then all should be well. And I'll be danged if it actually worked! I've tried this before recompiling and it didn't work so since it works from the cd now I think I have finally ironed out the major problems. You may have to set the permissions to "Allow executing file as a program" or for the more experienced users do a chmod +x but beyond that everything should work.

I want to seriously apologize to everyone who has downloaded this and gotten frustrated with the problems. I really should have done much more testing before releasing this package. I also want to thank Gmaq and Tekkieman for helping me sort out the problems. Couldn't have gotten this far without you guys.

For those that are willing to try again you can download a replacement binary here.
    hcbatchgui.tar.gz

Just replace the hcbatchgui executable in your current package with this new one.

I also plan to update the sourceforge package.
    -edit I have now also updated the gtk package at sourceforge
    Quote Quote  
  10. i can confirm that on may debian sid your new hcbatchgui haven't requested any library

BHH
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Beautiful!

Thanks for confirming that buzzqw.

Now that I have wxwidgets compiled into a static library and everything seems to be working okay so far, I can concentrate on other small tweaks like including a nice icon for the program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Freebird,

Working now here as well! Thanks a lot, You Rock!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well to be honest I'm a little embarrassed at the problems but I'm glad that it's finally working now.

I appreciate your patience and understanding. I know you have been waiting for this to encode your family memories to dvd. At least now you can make your wife happy! Tell her I'm sorry for the delay!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @freebird

I am not overly involved in this, but from my perspective, you have nothing to be embarrassed about. You selflessly donated your time and experience to provide a useful tool to a community of people you do not directly know. Those who were interested in what you were doing tried to provide assistance and feedback where they could. In the end, you succeeded admirably. Isn't that really what the F/OSS movement is all about?

While this is primarily your thread for your creation, let me also take this opportunity to express similar thanks and appreciated to buzzqw for his work on AutoFF and GMaq for his work on WinFF. You people are an inspiration!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Freebird,

I second what Tekkie there is saying, you've got nothin' to be embarrassed about at all! I can't imagine how a developer could be more tuned in to his potential audience, obviously if your prog is behaving differently on a development machine than an end-user machine that just how things go... especially when you're programming in "uncharted waters"

Now Tekkie while your handing out the dollops of sugar, don't forget yourself! If I don't miss my guess, Freebird, and myself are here because of you in the first place. Also I'm no developer like yourself, Freebird and Buzz. However I appreciate the compliment....back atcha!

Enjoy the weekend my "indirect" friends!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks for the kind words guys.
    Quote Quote