VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The question is about the video part of a digital camera, so I thought it's OK to post it here. You may move it if I am still wrong.

Ok, so after a lot of research, I decided to buy a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 digicam. In fact I have already ordered it. The photos part of it aside, my question is about the video part. I can see in their specifications that it records video to QuickTime Motion JPEG format. What I was looking for is whether I'd be able to convert this to xvid to play on my standalone DVD player. Does Virtualdub like Quicktime MJPEG video?

On a second note, does anyone know what format is the audio that this cam records? the reviews all say "with audio" and don't mention the format. If it's LPCM, then the 4 GB SDHC card that I have ordered along with it would be filled up in no time I guess? Looking for suggestions please...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it can be converted. You may have to install a FWV mjpeg decoder for Virtualdub to read it. I believe FFDShow can do this for you. Otherwise use a different tool.

I'm not sure exact;y what the audio is, however if it definitely not full uncompressed PCM. My 2GB card has room for approx 30 minutes of 640 x 480 x 30fps mjpeg video (Fuji 5600 camera). Yours will compress at around the same rate, so you get an hour (give or take) of video, assuming no photos are taken as well.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the audio i've seen from that type of cam has been pcm 16khz 128kbs mono.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. I own a Panasonic Lumix too.The audio is mono

I use ConvertXToDVD to convert to dvd,or DivX Converter,or super if I want to email or IM the video

I wish Canon,or Panasonic will make a camera that can recorder DIVX.
    Quote Quote  
  5. My Panasonic FZ4 produces 8 KHz, 8 bit, mono audio.

VirtualDub has a built-in MJPEG decoder. You may have to enable it via Options -> Preferences -> AVI. You might also need Haali Media Splitter to read MOV files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by udaykhan
    ... Does Virtualdub like Quicktime MJPEG video?
    If it's MOV, use latest VirtualDub and Quicktime input plugin (+ installed QuickTime or QuickTime Alternative).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ah sorry, Haali doesn't read MOV files. Yes, you'll need the Quicktime input plugin for VirtualDub (you must have a recent version of VirtualDub with support for file reader plugins) and Quicktime Alternative.

Other source plugin info for VirtuaDub:

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=7
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the inputs... that should give me a headstart with this whole thing.

I just got the cam today and the images are awesome. About the video, this is what GSpot says:

And I am going to try doing the Quicktime plugin and other suggestions now and post the results a lil later.

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I wanted to go for a Canon too. But I wanted widescreen video recording too, and more zoom. And this is the only one that has 848*480@30fps video and 10x Optical zoom

Pentax Optio is one that records directly to divx but thats got only 3x zoom and it 4:3 aspect ratio. Somehow, I have become obsessed with "widescreen video", u know....
    Quote Quote  
  10. BTW
    Some other...

Change container used FFmpeg.
    Code:
    ffmpeg.exe -i name_file.mov -vcodec copy -vtag MJPG -acodec copy name_file.avi
    ------

Change container used Avidemux (+ eventually edit and/or recompress).

Video = Copy

Unfortunately something wrong with audio when use Copy or WAV PCM.
    But OK, when recompress to MP3...

Format = of course AVI

------

And MEncoder.

Code:
    mencoder name_file.mov -ovc copy -ffourcc MJPG -af resample=44100:0:0,channels=2 -oac pcm -o name_file.avi

Of course You can recompress to AVI with Xvid and MP3 used Avidemux or FFmpeg or MEncoder (and some GUI's for FFmpeg and MEncoder - example MediaCoder, SUPER, ...).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks,

I've been messing with video from a olympus camedia c 5060 wz with mencoder without luck, but
    mencoder name_file.mov -ovc copy -ffourcc MJPG -af resample=44100:0:0,channels=2 -oac pcm -o name_file.avi

worked. Important bits are -ffourcc MJPG and -af resample as the video is quicktime motion jpeg and audio is sampled with 7875 Hz.
    Quote Quote