VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I finally got a computer that could handle DVD burning, etc.

I took a home-recorded DVD I'd made and wanted to convert it to VCD. (I'd already saved the files on the hard drive in DVD format, and it played fine, but I wanted to save space.)

The two title recording was about 75 minutes long, one a half hour, the other about 45 minuters. The VOB files were odd...the first two files were the majority of the first recording, but the last five to ten seconds were on a third file, followed by the first half of the second title!

The computer came with Nero, and it allowed me to load the VOB files and said it would convert them to VCD.

When I tried to drag'n'drop the four files, the third one (having the end of the first title and the first half of the second title) wouldn't appear in the Nero window. It'd go thru the whole process of moving it, but when all was done it wouldn't appear.

The 4th file would appear just fine, as did the first two.

I decided to just work with the first two files, since the last 5-10 seconds of the first title weren't a great loss.

Nero converted the two VOB files to VCD format, and burned them to the disc just fine...

Only there was no audio.

Here are the my questions-

WHY would the third file not appear in Nero's window? (Is it because it has parts of two different titles on it?)

Why was there no audio?

Did I fail to include some essential file from the DVD files? The ILO and BUP files wouldn't transfer. (Nero said it wouldn't do it...something about there being no audio or video in those files.)

What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just vob files shouldn't be converted because you might get wrong audio track or no audio at all. You can try VOB2MPG on the DVD source and then convert the MPG to a VCD. Or use another DVD to VCD tool like tmpgenc xpress, dvdx.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you!

Any idea on why the third file (containing parts of both titles) wouldn't appear in the Nero window?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After downloading and installing the VOB2MPG software, I can't find it on my computer.

No icon, nothing showing up on a "find" search.

Did I download a virus and not legit software?

By the way...

Were these freeware or shareware?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You have to install .Net framework v2.0 for VOB2MPG. And I'm not sure how compatible that all is with W98SE.

If you DL VOB2MPG from the authors site or recommended DL site, there's won't be any virus, etc. And all these programs are freeware.

You can also use DVD Decrypter to extract to a single file from your DVD. Here's one guide. There are more in the DVD Decrypter toolpage: http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/23/59/

Have you considered upgrading from W98? Or are your computer details incorrect?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gastrof
    After downloading and installing the VOB2MPG software, I can't find it on my computer.

No icon, nothing showing up on a "find" search.

Did I download a virus and not legit software?

By the way...

Were these freeware or shareware?
    Start>Programs........and look for BadgerIT
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nero converted the two VOB files to VCD format, and burned them to the disc just fine...

Only there was no audio.
    Your source DVD files probably use AC3 (Dolby Digital Audio). Neither Nero or TMPGenc Express will convert AC3 to VCD audio without an extra cost plug-in.

Download GSpot, unzip it and double click the .exe file to run it. Then open your first VOB and see what the audio codec is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SmokieStover

Only there was no audio.
    Your source DVD files probably use AC3 (Dolby Digital Audio). Neither Nero or TMPGenc Express will convert AC3 to VCD audio without an extra cost plug-in.

Download GSpot, unzip it and double click the .exe file to run it. Then open your first VOB and see what the audio codec is.
    Will this only tell me what the codec is, or will it also help me get a VCD made that actually has audio? :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    You have to install .Net framework v2.0 for VOB2MPG. And I'm not sure how compatible that all is with W98SE....

Have you considered upgrading from W98? Or are your computer details incorrect?

Opps!

As mentioned, I've got a better computer now.

I've changed my profile in response to your post.

I will now punish myself by using my old Pentium 1 machine for the next 24 hours.

The machine did look for and download the 2.0 software you mentioned. Did that while it was installing the program, I think. (I remember it telling me that's what it was doing, and it took a bit before it was done.)

As for 'using DVD Decrypter to extract to a single file from my DVD', I'm not sure what that means.

I was able to drag'n'drop the VOB files just fine. They re-encoded and burned to the VCD fine. There just wasn't any audio.

Would the Decrypter separate the audio and video? Is that what you meant?
    Quote Quote