VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 40
FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I spoke too soon.

As soon as there is any source in the Source 1 window (when the program starts)
    the PLEASE WAIT FOR SYSTEM READY ! dialogue never finishes.

Also clicking on the Open Folder icon does not do any thing.

If I clear the Source 1 window and restart, the program completes initialization.

I might stick to 4.2 for the time being.

JC
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by merlin2004
    I spoke too soon.

As soon as there is any source in the Source 1 window (when the program starts)
    the PLEASE WAIT FOR SYSTEM READY ! dialogue never finishes.
    When there is a source file at source 1, the program runs FFmpeg at startup to gather the source properties of the file. It looks like FFmpeg hangs at that stage.

Also clicking on the Open Folder icon does not do any thing.
    As long as "PLEASE WAIT FOR SYSTEM READY" is displayed, most anything is disabled to prevent startup failure.

If I clear the Source 1 window and restart, the program completes initialization.
    When you load a file thereafter, does the program allow to process it normally or does it hang again with "System busy..." ?

If it runs normal after startup, I'll have to take a closer look at initialization. There isn't much changed in the startup procedure, compared to version 0.4.2.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you load a file thereafter, does the program allow to process it normally or does it hang again with "System busy..." ?
    It hangs again...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Weird! There is a change in the way the program calls FFmpeg from version 0.4.2 to 0.4.3.

On W2K and XP this seems to work fine but I could revert that and make a revision of the "Avanti-GUI.exe" executable to see if that's the problem for Win7.

I'll send you a PM about it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I have a problem. I want to encode a PAL .TS to MP4, and I want it to be deinterlaced. The source frame rate is 25FPS Interlaced, and I wouldlike the output frame rate to be 50FPS Progressive. But in the dropdown menu for frame rate it only goes as high as 30FPS. How do I encode to 50FPS? Secondly, how would I be able to sync the audio, since during test uses of the program the output file video/audio are out of sync. I am using the H264 template.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,
    Originally Posted by TestDemo
    But in the dropdown menu for frame rate it only goes as high as 30FPS. How do I encode to 50FPS?
    You can easily add new options to the dropdown lists. For frame rate, put the cursor in the frame rate field and type "50.000 fps" or "50 fps". Then press enter to permanently add it to the list.
    Secondly, how would I be able to sync the audio, since during test uses of the program the output file video/audio are out of sync. I am using the H264 template.
    I don't know if this works for x264 but you could try to add "-async 2" to the command line.

Chris.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chris K
    Hi,
    But in the dropdown menu for frame rate it only goes as high as 30FPS. How do I encode to 50FPS?
    You can easily add new options to the dropdown lists. For frame rate, put the cursor in the frame rate field and type "50.000 fps" or "50 fps". Then press enter to permanently add it to the list.
    Secondly, how would I be able to sync the audio, since during test uses of the program the output file video/audio are out of sync. I am using the H264 template.
    I don't know if this works for x264 but you could try to add "-async 2" to the command line.

Chris.
    When I encode it says "Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate:

...50.00(50/1) -> 25.00(25/1)"

How do I make it be 50 fps?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    When I encode it says "Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate:

This concerns the source. FFmpeg often shows this, even on progressive mpeg2 elementary streams?

Look at the #output section at the log window. It should read "50 tbn, 50 tbc" like;
    Code:
    Output #0, mp4, to 'G:/my_output_clip.mp4':
        Stream #0.0: Video: libx264, yuv420p, 720x576 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3],
          q=10-51, 2000 kb/s, 50 tbn, 50 tbc    <-------
        Stream #0.1: Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 192 kb/s
    I have no experience with 25i to 50p conversion. Perhaps others can help you out?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM

This concerns the source. FFmpeg often shows this, even on progressive mpeg2 elementary streams?

Look at the #output section at the log window. It should read "50 tbn, 50 tbc" like;
    Code:
    Output #0, mp4, to 'G:/my_output_clip.mp4':
        Stream #0.0: Video: libx264, yuv420p, 720x576 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3],
          q=10-51, 2000 kb/s, 50 tbn, 50 tbc    <-------
        Stream #0.1: Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 192 kb/s
    I have no experience with 25i to 50p conversion. Perhaps others can help you out?
    It finished processing. However both of the problems are unresolved. In the output section it does say 50 but when played VLC says its 25fps plus "-async 2" did not work. How would I resolve this? If the file is output as 25FPS then it loses half of the motion frames that would appear on a 50FPS file. Is there any other way to achieve 50FPS?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Ok... I know! Most vhelp gurus don't post at this thread so i'll give it a try.

I'm sure it isn't the best choice but this little Avisynth script should do a 25i/50p conversion ...
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("@source1_path")
    assumetff()
    bob(0.0, 1.0)
    Put it at the Avisynth editor and right-click for the menu where you can set "Avisynth USER mode".

You can also check if your source is perhaps telecined. If so, use a inverse telecine filter (IVTC) and convert to 25 fps.
    One that works for me on 25 fps telecine is the IT plugin with these settings; "IT(fps = 25, ref = "TOP", blend = false)".

If not telecined, a good deinterlace filter will probably give the same result at 25 fps compared to the 25i/50p conversion.
    Note that 50 fps should give smoother motion but that all methods affect the picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok... I know! Most vhelp gurus don't post at this thread so i'll give it a try.

I'm sure it isn't the best choice but this little Avisynth script should do a 25i/50p conversion ...
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("@source1_path")
    assumetff()
    bob(0.0, 1.0)
    Put it at the Avisynth editor and right-click for the menu where you can set "Avisynth USER mode".

You can also check if your source is perhaps telecined. If so, use a inverse telecine filter (IVTC) and convert to 25 fps.
    One that works for me on 25 fps telecine is the IT plugin with these settings; "IT(fps = 25, ref = "TOP", blend = false)".

If not telecined, a good deinterlace filter will probably give the same result at 25 fps compared to the 25i/50p conversion.
    Note that 50 fps should give smoother motion but that all methods affect the picture quality.
    I was able to fix it using this & the decode plugin. However there is still one final problem. In the TS file there are adverts I would like to cut out. How would I do this in AVANTI?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    However there is still one final problem. In the TS file there are adverts I would like to cut out. How would I do this in AVANTI?
    Avanti has no facilities for that. I assume there's mpeg2 video and mp2 audio in the TS container.
    I think AviDemux can handle this but if it not accepts the TS file, you first have to remux it into a vob or mpg container.
    You could do this with Avanti, then use AviDemux for cutting, deinterlacing, h264 conversion etc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Avanti has trouble with screens set at other-than-the-default DPI. Here's what it looks like at 120dpi...

Is there any way this can be fixed?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
    Avanti has trouble with screens set at other-than-the-default DPI. Here's what it looks like at 120dpi...
    Is there any way this can be fixed?
    Unfortunately... no!

It appears to not be a automatism of the Windows OS to also scale the gui dimensions in conjunction with the chosen DPI. An app has to manage it by itself and that would be quite a job for the Avanti main gui and its 17 additional modules.

I don't expect it to happen in the near future.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    About the 120dpi display setting ...

There seems to be a option in Vista (and probably Win 7) that offers to scale guis that are not "DPI aware" as it's been called by Microsoft.

http://blogs.msdn.com/kamvedbrat/archive/2006/12/02/dpi-scaling-in-windows-vista.aspx

Unfortunately not available for WXP users. I'm trying to write a script parser that modifies gui coordinates automatically but still have to do a number of them manually. A lot of other problems too, like icons etc.

If there is enough interest, I'll try to release a separate 120dpi version but it will take some time.

Chris
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Re: dpi scaling.

I've seen other programs accommodate this issue (in WinXP), but I'm not sure how they did it. Perhaps they looked at the ratio of the current-font to the default-96dpi and scaled the program's font with the inverse. Could something like this be done with Avanti? Im not sure why the modules would be impacted, it seems that only the GUI 'font' is the issue. It's just 120/96=25% bigger, in this case, than 'standard'.

To check problem: Rt.click on Desktop, Settings, Advanced, DPI setting, set to 120dpi.

Thanks for looking into this.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Could something like this be done with Avanti? Im not sure why the modules would be impacted, it seems that only the GUI 'font' is the issue. It's just 120/96=25% bigger, in this case, than 'standard'.
    I'm not sure what you expect form the gui when runnung at 120dpi. I have the impression that you mean scaling down the 120dpi font so it fits again on the existing gui size?

This is not what "DPI aware" apps do. They scale the whole gui proportions up to fit the 120dpi font. For Avanti this means changing hundreds of fixed coordinates. Because I can't do that on the fly, I consider to prepare a separate version.

I scaled the fonts down a while ago on request but it wasn't a success because the available font sizes did not match (just to small or to large).

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=129586
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Chris K...
    "I have the impression that you mean scaling down the 120dpi font so it fits again on the existing gui size?"

Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. I believe that's the way the other apps I referred to did it. When they fixed it the 'GUI' didn't change at all, but the text ended up looking just like it did with a 'standard' 96-dpi font. I'm not sure how they did it, but it might have been just font scaling. It might not be the 'right' way to do it, but it seems that scaling the entire GUI up in size might have some negative effects, especially on smaller (e.g. Netbook) screens. I find that changing the default DPI doesn't seem to change the size of the GUI (outline, button placement, etc.), just the text. Do you concur?

On a similar note, would it be possible to limit the vertical dimension of the GUI to 600 pixels so everything would fit on a Netbook screen (1024x600)?

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Chris K...
    I wonder if just making the entire GUI a little wider would accommodate the current font size? Just a thought... ;>)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    On a similar note, would it be possible to limit the vertical dimension of the GUI to 600 pixels so everything would fit on a Netbook screen (1024x600)?
    I started Avanti development in 2007 at the time HD monitor displays were not yet common and decided to make 1024x768 the lower limit. The gui lacks already room in the vertical direction so shrinking it from 768 to 600 is almost impossible.

I wonder if just making the entire GUI a little wider would accommodate the current font size? Just a thought... ;>)
    The problem is that the used programming language doesn't offer pixel scaling for fonts. Just the by windows offered sizes. At second, it uses a mix of basic Windows elements like menu's, message boxes, dialogs, etc. (which scale automatically) and its own higher level features (which doesn't).
    The result of only scaling the fonts down (by approx. sizes) is that e.g. a menu, that is upscaled by Windows with larger fonts does not match with the x, y coordinates for where it has to appear. So finally you'll get weird mix of scaled and unscaled elements.

For those who currently use a HD monitor on 120 dpi, changing only fonts wouldn't be adequate. They would be left with a very small gui. I think that currently the only feasible and more or less future proof option is to scale the gui elements up to the dpi setting.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the explanation, Chris. I guess it's not easy to anticipate every possible contingency for the future.

I was thinking a slight reduction in the expandable report window would make things Netbook friendly since the GUI is 690 now. But it's not a deal killer, most of the screen is still visible.

Anyway, all that aside, Avanti is a real winner. Thanks for the great program.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

When using the subtitler editor, after pressing the Save/Update button and then pressing the Preview button. I get this in the message window:

21:47:54 - Avanti encountered a serious system error.

... Please cancel process (if running), exit Avanti and check out
    the 'error_log' file at your Avanti install directory.

The log file says this...

AVANTI 0.4.5 - Error report - 13/03/2010 - 21:37:31
    module: AVANTI - line: 2589 - event: MAKE_STYLE - code: 20
    *ERROR* File: ":RES:avanti-123.gui" Line: 7950
    The item is out of bounds, Internal variable: PARSE.1
    *ERROR* File: ":RES:avanti-123.gui" Line: 2590
    Parsing brackets, Failed on '/15))'

This problem is preventing me from using the subtitler feature, as it does not save the style file.

The preferences is reporting the correct path for avisynth, I also have the vsfilter.dll file in my avisynths plugins folder?

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

-Update- If I click no on the message to update the style file now, I can preview the video and render the file but I still get this error

AVANTI 0.4.5 - Error report - 13/03/2010 - 22:08:32
    module: AVANTI - line: 2589 - event: MAKE_STYLE - code: 20
    *ERROR* File: ":RES:avanti-123.gui" Line: 2542
    Item was not found, Could not find ini section [AVANTI INFO]
    *ERROR* File: ":RES:avanti-123.gui" Line: 2590
    Parsing brackets, Failed on '/15))'

for some reason its not saving the style file. btw the path for my subtitle file is C:\Users\Matt\Videos\Subtitles so I have permissions to write to that location.
    Last edited by Silvos; 14th Mar 2010 at 00:11.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Silvos,

Traced it back to a routine that has to update the source size. It looks like the screen output from the FFmpeg version you use isn't fully "generic" (or you use a recent version that has changes on that part?).

EDIT: you can also check this on the "crop/scale/pad" page where the "source size" fields should be set to you source frame size.

Can you call up the source properties and post it ?

On the subtitle page are the two fields "destination size. Ensure that "lock" is not checked.
    These fields should be automatically set to the destination size at the main page.

If these fields are empty, you could try to enter the destination size manually (and then lock it).

Chris
    Last edited by Chris K; 14th Mar 2010 at 09:56.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Can you call up the source properties and post it ?
    Chris
    You are correct... I'm using a non-generic build so I can take advantage of using libraries not built in to do licensing concerns.

Here is the build info:

FFmpeg version SVN-r22508-Sherpya, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
    built on Mar 13 2010 13:42:47 with gcc 4.2.5 20080919 (prerelease) [Sherpya]

On the subtitle page are the two fields "destination size. Ensure that "lock" is not checked.
    Chris
    Lock is not checked.

These fields should be automatically set to the destination size at the main page.
    Chris
    They are correctly showing my target destination size of 720x480

After some troubleshooting I have discovered the problem. The issue only occurs when I use an AVI file created from my d2v. Using the VFAPI Reader Codec I create a AVI file from my d2v. This is useful as I can use this AVI in programs that don't support d2v.

I don't need to use this avi for Avanti as it supports avisynth scripts. So using an avisynth script instead of this AVI corrects the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Silvos View Post
    After some troubleshooting I have discovered the problem. The issue only occurs when I use an AVI file created from my d2v. Using the VFAPI Reader Codec I create a AVI file from my d2v. This is useful as I can use this AVI in programs that don't support d2v.
    What makes me curious is; what does FFmpeg displays for the d2v avi file? For Avanti, the screen output of the source size etc. should look like this (of course codec and values could be different);

Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 640x480 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], 23.98 tbr,
    This is the syntax Avanti expects and analyses. Currently I can only imagine it's different for the d2v avi?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What makes me curious is; what does FFmpeg displays for the d2v avi file?
    When I load the video I get this from ffmpeg:

Input #0, avi, from 'D:/ep/VTS_01_PGC_01_1_d2v_vfapi.avi':
    Duration: 01:40:33.77, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 11 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Video: vifp / 0x70666976, 720x480, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 23.98 tbn,
    23.98 tbc

When I try to render using the above avi I get:

swScaler: Unknown format is not supported as input pixel format
    Cannot get resampling context

So that format is not compatible and this is why the subtitle issue failed. Everything works using avisynth scripts

Thanks for a great application.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    How i can set the xvid's "advanced simple profile level" 5?

ps: great job for this sw.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Hi jkhox,

xvid in FFmpeg is kind of a stripped down version and doesn't allow to set profiles freely. Basically it uses "Simple @ L3" and when you add b-frames (e.g. -bf 2) it switch over to "Advanced simple @ L5".

That's all I know about it (and can get out of it).

Chris
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    it's ok, now it works as asl5.

another question:

i convert often wmv to xvid(avi).
    for this can i use -sameq -bf 2 ?

and what vbr qscale i must set?

tnx
    Last edited by jkhox; 20th Mar 2010 at 15:34.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jkhox View Post
    i convert often wmv to xvid(avi).
    for this can i use -sameq -bf 2 ?

and what vbr qscale i must set?
    Hard to answer!

Keep in mind that many stand-alone DVD players with divx/xvid support can't handle b-frames, qpel, packed bitstream etc.

Using -sameq OR -qscale with a low value (not both at the same time) may possibly lead to high bitrates (and large file sizes). No problem for a PC but it could exceed the limits of a stand-alone player.

If you're going to encode for a stad-alone player, I suggest to first do some tests on a CD. If it's meant for PC playback only, you're quite free in using b-frames together with -sameq or say -qscale 2.
    Quote Quote