VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried everything I could think of. Everytime I try to open it, it says "VOB2MPG has stopped working". I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate. I uninstalled and reinstalled several times, rebooted, nothing. I don't know what to do, I googled and found nothing, the only errors I found were people having problems using it, not getting it to start.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm probably way off the mark here but have you installed (or reinstalled) the .net framework from Microsoft?

Vob2Mpeg requires .net framework 2 otherwise it certainly won't run - it also won't run if you only have 1 or 1.1 installed. I've not checked their install but a number assume .net is installed and don't check so there is no "auto install".

Unless you are a developer only download the Redistributable Package rather than the SDK - mainly because it's smaller (22MB) (compared to 100MB for the SDK)
    Quote Quote  
  3. In which folder did you install the program?
    Do you have .NET and any updates installed?
    Did you select to run the program as administrator?
    Dwight

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

www.martialconcepts.com
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry guys I'm out of town til tomorrow, but here's some answers.

I tried to reinstall .net 2.0 because I thought that might be the problem, but it won't let me because it says Vista comes with it already. I tried to delete .net 2.0 and it's not in my programs list.

The folder I installed it to was the default one, C:/program files/ etc
    According to windows update I have every available update besides the language packs.
    I did not select the program to be run as administrator, but I did disable that annoying pop up that makes you give permission for things to run.

One thing I forgot to mention, I had this program running fine, then I formatted my hard drive (using the reset to factory defaults from HP) and *now* it won't work.

Thanks for the help, Happy New Year's!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try installing somewhere other than "Program Files" and choose to run as administrator.
    Dwight

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

www.martialconcepts.com
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have use WinXP's roll-back feature to go "back to the future". I don't know if Vista has r-b or if it would work after your reformatting.

Vista comes with .NET built into it, I believe it is .NET 3.0 (or better). It is inclusive of the .NET 2.0 framework.

I have not installed or played with Vista, but maybe there are some run parameters associated with the VOB2MPG executable. Try 'right-clicking' the executable and see if Vista associates properties with it. If so, then 'tweak'!

One other thing to try is to download Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007, create a WinXP sp2 Virtual Machine and load VOB2MPG on it. Your VM would have to have enough space to hold the VOBs and the resulting .mpg output(s). This could be 12GB to 16GB (4GB for the OS, 4GB for a sl-DVD, and 4GB for the .mpgs) You might be able to put the data (VOBs & .mpg) on a new, separate Virtual Disk, thus keeping the master VPC 'disk' size small. The .mpg's can be transferred to your real HD and the VD could be deleted. It can get a bit cumbersome, but that's life in the virtual lane ...

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wanted to thank you guys for your help, but nothing worked, and the additional partition sounded really cumbersome. I tried installing it somewhere else and running as administrator with no luck.

I ended up formatting and setting my computer to initial settings, and now it works again!

Haha, thanks.
    Quote Quote