VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a sony vaio laptop with two wd external hard drives, both full with .avi films (around 700mb) and .mkv hd films (around 4.4 gb) some 720p and some 1080p

i also have a samsung 32" hdtv which i have connected to my laptop via vga to vga, as my laptop does not have dvi.

i was wondering how much quality i am loosing this way? is there any settings i can change to improve this?

my laptop screens resolution is 1080x800 and sometimes the hd films look better on this?

also is there a way to burn the mkv files onto disc so i can play them on my new phillips dvp5960 as it will not work via usb?

i know alot of questions there but thanks for any time you take to reply.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's difficult to compare a computer monitor (Laptop screen) to a TV screen. They use quite different methods of display. There may be some 'tweaks', but I don't know of any. Others may, though.

And just going to the larger display may change the characteristics of the video displayed. The only 'rule of thumb' I know is to always try to use the native resolution of any display.

I doubt any set top player will display MKV, AFAIK. You can convert it, but then you will have quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This may sound stupid, but 700 mb of AVI is maybe 5 minutes of video..
    And your external drive is FULL???????????
    AVI is about 13 GIG for an hour of video...
    HD-AVI about the same (give or take some)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JimboS
    This may sound stupid, but 700 mb of AVI is maybe 5 minutes of video..
    And your external drive is FULL???????????
    AVI is about 13 GIG for an hour of video...
    HD-AVI about the same (give or take some)
    700 MB of DV avi is about 5 minutes but usually when anybody talks about a film taking up 700 MB in avi format they are referring to a DivX or Xvid compressed film to enable it to be fitted on a CDR. The quality of these is so abysmal that displaying it on anything bigger than a cellphone will look horrible.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have around 300 films all 700-800mb and dvd like quality, all look great on 32" tv.

any answers on the connectivity?
    Quote Quote