VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. This is my first post here, so apologies far any noobishness that may make itself apparent!
    I'm using Nero Vision on Nero 7. I've been using it to create dvds for a while now, but for some reason i now keep getting a message telling me "there is not enough space available for the recording process" (see screenshot below). I've managed to find the temp folder that its referring to, and I've deleted as much as i can, but it still keeps coming up with the same message.
    Now I'm not a complete dunce when it comes to using my computer, but I'm easily confused when it comes to sorting out the stuff that you don't usually need to mess around with, such as temp files and the like. So if anyone can help me out here it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How much space is available on the hard drive itself? You generally need at least twice to three times the size of the file for free space. Since it apparently uses a temp file, just delete that file and let the program create a new one.

Or am I not understanding your problem?

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is 2.6gb left on my C drive, but the is over 50gb available on my D drive (i think this is a partition as i only have 1 hdd). so do i just need to delete some stuff off my hdd? or is there any way to tell nero to use the D drive? again, apologies for being so clueless!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I believe you can move it. I found this on the net: http://www.photography-forums.com/t51548-nerovision-express-temporary-hd-space.html

In my NVE (version 3.1.0.25; I hope it works like yours...):

Near the bottom of the window click on 'More'. Click on Configure, then
    on the tab 'Folders'. To the right of any of the three folder
    assignments, click the little button with three dots '...' & choose
    your location.

The first one is 'Temporary files'; that's the one that you are
    concerned with here.
    But if your boot partition is running that low on space, you should do some cleanup anyway to free up some space or you may have other problems in the future. I like to keep a minimum of 1/4 to 1/3 of my hard drives in free space. This makes defragging and other disk operations much more efficient and faster.

If you have room in the computer, you might consider a second hard drive. It's much more efficient for video to keep your boot drive separate from your video drive. I don't really use multiple partitions as they have no advantages for speed because they share the same controller.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i don't even know why it has a partition! it was just there when i got my computer. is there a safe and idiot proof way of getting rid of the partition? its titled "backup D". or am i just better off leaving it as it is? i think i might have to invest in a second hard drive some time soon.
    i've just deleted a bunch of junk off my hard drive and its working fine now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by windowlicker
    is there a safe and idiot proof way of getting rid of the partition?
    Not really There are programs like Partition Magic that should be able to delete or resize the partition without damaging the data, but that's really a complex operation and things can go wrong. You would want to back up all your data and be ready for the worst, just in case.

Since you ask about a second drive, there may be a better method. You could use a program like Acronis True Image or similar and 'clone' your boot partition to a new drive. Then take your original boot drive and convert it to a single partition and use it for your second drive. A program like that can also back up your drives and if you have a problem, you can do a quick restore and be up and running in a very short time. Several ways to do this.

True Image info from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronis_True_Image I think the latest version is V11, but you can probably find V10 highly discounted if you search around a bit. Even V11 is not really expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I am too having the same or similar problem using Nero Vision 7. Just recently I was able to convert/decode video files (mostly mp4, avi and MPEG2 files) without any issues. Because I have very limited HD space on my c: drive (only about 2gb at most on a 62gb drive), I have been converting files (for burning to DVD) tn my external harddrive instead, with a capacity of about 298GB total, and which is currently around 62gb at the moment. Up until now there has been no problem, however, in the last few days when I try to convert the video files, I receive the message "there is not enough space available for the recording process: there are 2587MB available for temporary files in the folder..". I have learned that a solution would be to move the temp folder, however, if I have been able to successfully convert files onto my external drive, then what could have caused this problem to occur now?. I do recall having the same issue several years ago (but not sure if it was on the laptop I'm using now or on my older PC), and I cannot remember how I solved the problem.

I decided to try Windows DVD Maker, but it still tells me there is not enough available space, so it means the problem isn't strictly to do with Nero.

The laptop I'm using is an Acer Aspire 5929, with 3.00gb RAM, C: 69.2GB total with 2.52gb free; D (data): 17.9gb free of 65.7gb. Could a malware or virus have caused the problem?, or could be that Nero might need reinstalling?. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks
    Last edited by technicality1; 22nd Dec 2014 at 07:54.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My laptop has a 500GB HDD with three partitions. One is the OS at 186GB, a DATA partition at 258GB and a hidden Windows partition at about 100MB.
    My Windows paging file is at about 10GB. If I were to use that space up, Windows would complain. I suspect your paging file may be the problem as you are trying to use space that has been allocated to it.
    But you should never load up a HDD much more than 75% of its capacity if you want decent performance.

You can move the paging file to the other partition and that may solve your problem. You could also reduce it's size, but I wouldn't really recommend that for a laptop with limited RAM. You might see a drop in performance.

You can see how much your paging file is being used by watching your Hard Drive indicator light or looking in your Task Manager program.
    Better is the Resource Monitor, if you have it for your system as it shows memory and HDD performance.

To get to your paging file page, go to 'Control Panel>System>Advanced System Settings>Performance settings>Advanced.'
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Page.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	29231  

Quote Quote