VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you're scanning the top of a cd or dvd (disc label) how do you scan them so your finished scan covers the whole area of the disc, when I try to scan them my scans don't end up covering the whole disc leaving a white ring? After I've scanned them they look fine until I put them in my CD Label Print or Acoustica so I can print them on a backup disc but that's when I notice they don't cover the whole surface. I usually fine labels online but sometimes they don't have one for my cd or dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Couple things to look at, open your scan in a photo editing application and crop/select exactly what you want to a perfect circle.
    Could be a printing software setting. In Acoustica, for example, for hub printable dvd's, I like the setting: Diameter 119mm Hole Diameter 20mm.
    Tighten up your scan a bit - it is likely your/most scanners scan a bit beyond the item being scanned.

It would be a bit easier to understand/help if you could link to/send a example .jpg
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well see if this link works - http://www.cdcovers.cc/view/321402/cd1/twin-peaks-definitive-gold-box-edition-(partii)-r1

If you download any of the disc labels here on this page and then open them up in CD Label Print or Acoustica you will see that the person who scanned them has the same problem I do when scanning discs. Now when viewing these scans here at this link they don't look too bad until you actually open them in the above softwares but that's when you realize they are terrible scans. These are how my scans look after opening in the above softwares for printing, it has nothing to do with setting the diameter for printing on the disc but rather the original scan.

I use a HP 4850 to scan the disc which comes with HP Solution Center software. What I do is scan the discs to My Pictures then either open them in CD Label Print or Acoustica so I can print them on printable discs. The correct diameter settings are set correctly in each software.

If you're saying that after scanning a disc I must then run them through a photo editing application and crop/select before I open them in Acoustica (or whatever) then I guess I don't know how to do that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't speak for CD Label Print, however in Acoustica you can:

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh boy I hope I'm not sounding too dumb but how do you bring up the red border with the squares in Acoustica?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try this:

I noticed that if you click "set as background" you do not get the red squares.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow it works I didn't know you just needed to click on the "Add to Label" button. So at least I know how to correct badly scanned labels which helps tremendously!

It would be nice though if the scans weren't like that to begin with, any idea what I'm doing wrong for my scans to come out like the Twin Peaks scans?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try this:
    Launch HP Solution Center > click Scan Picture
    adjust your Resize option to 4.74 by 4.74

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay thanks I'll give it a try.
    Quote Quote