VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I got a new dvd player for xmas. It's a pioneer dv 400v.

When playing back video through the USB input, if it is an american show, then the dvd player converts its output to NTSC and the picture turns black and white. Now, is there an easy to rectify this? I am wondering if the problem is my TV as it's quite old.

Any help appreciated. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I kept getting a white screen after logging in on any other page.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Somewhere under the setup menus for the player you will be able to tell it what format to output. Personally, I prefer to output NTSC as NTSC and PAL as PAL, as format conversion can cause other issues such as jerkiness. However if your TV cannot read NTSC correctly (which is surprising), you may have no other choice.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Letting us know your country or at least what TV standard you use would have been nice, but I suppose we can just assume you live in a PAL country.

Most, but not all, TVs sold in PAL countries are capable of correctly displaying NTSC signals. It would seem that yours is not. You might look at the setup menu for your DVD player and see what the video output is set to. If it's set to "Any" or "Multi" try setting it to "PAL". This will force ALL video output to be converted by the player to PAL and your TV should be able to play that correctly. You might also check the video setting of your TV as there may be some kind of mismatch there between it and the DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi, yes I'm in a PAL country.

I'll look into the video output settings. I was looking for something with PAL or NTSC in the settings but found nothing - I never thought to look for multi etc.

I think I have noticed that some NTSC playstation games play ok on other TVs, so I think the TV must only play PAL. It is an old cheap TV, so I'm not that surprised.
    Quote Quote