VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I bought an old classic DVD release, only to find it was a 'colourized' version.

I wanted a B/W copy so I made one and it plays great on the computer player, but is choppy (during fast motion) on my two set-top boxes.

To make the B/W, I used TDA to make one large .mpg file, then opened it in Virtual Dub and used the grayscale filter to make an .avi file. I processed about one third of the file at a time, as the .avi's were huge.

Once I had all the .avi's in B/W, I used Super to convert them to .mpg's and then loaded each .mpg into TDA again and burned a disk. It played great on the computer player, but was not so great on the set-top player when the scene showed fast movement.

Any ideas why this only plays poorly on the set-top players? I used an 8X TY blank, burned at 4X, using ImgBurn.

I tried this process twice with the same results and I'm stumped.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We don't know enough about your process to know exactly what you did, but here's my best guesses.

1) You encoded the wrong field order - you either did bottom field first when you have should done top field first or vice-versa.
    2) Your final bit rate may be too high for DVD specs and your standalone DVD player.

Super is OK, but I can't recommend it for encoding to DVD. CCE, HC and TMPGenc would all have been better choices.
    Quote Quote