VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi all can anyone tell me how to put more than one KVCD on a dvd and have a menu to pick
    i have read that you can get 6 hours on a dvd
    Big thanks
    Happy Xmas one and all
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No great secret - you just author it.

However you won't get 6 hours of DVD quality, or even near DVD quality. And because KVCD is really just a way of pushing the limits of the encoding specifications, you may find you don't get smooth or acceptable playback on all players.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Midzuki
    Big Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Bat21UK - Bluntly speaking, almost all of us here regard KVCD, KDVD, etc. as complete b.s. We don't make these discs and can't offer much help. There is a KVCD forum at http://www.kvcd.net. You'll have to pay to join it, which I think sucks, but the people there can probably help you more than us.

Do note as guns1nger says, KVCD pushes the boundaries and what they do to squeeze extra playing time on a disc violates VCD and DVD standards. The quality is nowhere near as good as fans of these formats claim, but you will find out for yourself if you make one.
    Quote Quote  
  5. [quote="jman98"]Bat21UK - Bluntly speaking, almost all of us here regard KVCD, KDVD, etc. as complete b.s. We don't make these discs and can't offer much help. There is a KVCD forum at http://www.kvcd.net. You'll have to pay to join it, which I think sucks, but the people there can probably help you more than us.

Do note as guns1nger says, KVCD pushes the boundaries and what they do to squeeze extra playing time on a disc violates VCD and DVD standards. The quality is nowhere near as good as fans of these formats claim, but you will find out for yourself if you make one.[/quotok

ok thanks
    will not both as you say its not worth it
    a big thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And just to add, you can extend the amount of playing time on a DVD without KVCD 'tricks'. One method is to use 1/2 D1 mode and lower the bitrate by half or more.

This is in the DVD specification. (See 'WHAT IS' DVD to the upper left on this page.) The quality will obviously be less than a full D1 DVD, but may be quite acceptable. If you need more, then there is VCD type MPEG-1 video. That is also DVD compatible and uses a 1150Kbps bitrate. But the quality is probably only acceptable with TV quality sources.

With either encoding mode, try a short clip of representative video and see how it looks. Your eyes are the best judge of what is acceptable for quality.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by redwudz
    And just to add, you can extend the amount of playing time on a DVD without KVCD 'tricks'. One method is to use 1/2 D1 mode and lower the bitrate by half or more.

This is in the DVD specification. (See 'WHAT IS' DVD to the upper left on this page.) The quality will obviously be less than a full D1 DVD, but may be quite acceptable. If you need more, then there is VCD type MPEG-1 video. That is also DVD compatible and uses a 1150Kbps bitrate. But the quality is probably only acceptable with TV quality sources.

With either encoding mode, try a short clip of representative video and see how it looks. Your eyes are the best judge of what is acceptable for quality.

Again a Big thanks
    Quote Quote