VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Taking Orsetto and LordSmurf's advice I purchased the Philips DVDR3575H today at Wal-Mart.

I have a question about the tuner. The colors seems to be a bit muted in the tuner department. Is there a setting that can change that like the Pioneer? It's fine with S cables from the Directv box.

Also, is the Philips DVDR3505 the same deck without the HDD?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The 3575 is in a league all by itself as far as current Philips units go. I wouldn't even compare it to anything Philips has made before.

As far as muted colors, are you trying to tune the satellite signal with the 3575 tuner? I've been told the sat receiver is proprietary and reqd for tuning any sat signal.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wabjxo and all,

During setup the Philips quickly found everything, digital and analog channels using a connection to an antenna in the attic. Comparing it to my Sony VCR (which I use mostly as a tuner to feed the whole house) the colors seem muted a bit. It's crystal clear but the picture is a bit darker and the color aren't as vibrant.

I am viewing traditional TV's using an RF cable as I do not own a HiDef set. However, when I dub favorite programs from my DirecTV Tivo to the Philips using an "S" cable the picture is perfect. I imagine that the 3575 would probably skimp on the analog tuner since it's going away in a year, but the digital is the same. Perhaps if I connected it to a digital flat panel TV using HDMI or Optical out the picture would be perfect. All I know is that my trusty Pioneer DVR420H (well...until it died three days ago) was indistinguishable from the original picture. Great colors and brightness. Plus, it had controls in the menu to adjust these properties if you needed them.

I got a Pioneer 420H because DirecTV required a second dish for local channels which was blocked by trees. I installed an antenna and would record my network programs to view much as I did on the DirecTV box w/Tivo. I am moving to Dish Network on Sunday because they offer my local stations on one dish.

I was asking about the Philips 3705 deck because I thought that if I have an HDD on the Dish Network unit, do I really need it on the Hard Drive? If the 3705 is as robust and offers the same tuner features (especially digital tuner) for half the price then I may consider getting that. I did get spoiled with the HDD and I suspect I'd miss editing out commercials, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I find many people confuse "deeper colors" with "darker picture". And I mean darker" as in "too dark, not a properly calibrated image". Panasonic has this problem to a severe level. People always say what nice colors it has. But it just makes the image darker (the luma is a mess). Colors give off the appearance of saturation when made darker.

Your satellite box or VCR may be giving off a dark picture too, depends on the model. I've caught Hughes receivers doing that pretty badly, whereas the RCA ones were fine. Panasonic VHS VCRs sometimes gave off altered-saturation images too. Not darker, but falsely pumped up, often resulting in color bleeds.

The wiring can also make a difference, both the wiring type, and the quality of the wire used. Use s-video or higher for best quality. I use component and s-video for pretty much everything. No more composite, no need for HDMI.

A hard drive on a DVD recorder is handy. Be warned HDD recorders are a dying breed, so if you don't get one now, you may never get one, especially not in a unit as nice as this one.

Don't be surprised if the image quality looks different when you switch to DISH. Different receivers, and ones I find to be lower quality than DirecTV. This is all nitpicks though, shades and hues, contrast and luma. Most people won't notice.

Is your tv good? I have a Sony HDTV, and just change colors/IRE/contrast when it suits me. Station to station, DVD to DVD (commercial or not) ... everything varies a bit.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I too also noticed a slightly darker picture when going through the 3575, but with much adjustment on my Panasonic LCD HDTV, I was able to get it to look fine. I am using the HDMI, which in the 3575 there is a setting for lighter and darker, but I just noticed it to be dark, and darker. With my Panny brightness all the way up, and contrast down a little, I get a fine picture. Now with your analog TV you might not have the range of my Panny TV, and the nice thing about most newer TV's is that you can set separate adjustments for each input. Eg. HDMI bright all the way up, while still having rf input be center positions. That way you dont have to always keep adjusting the picture controls each time you change inputs. Really handy.
    Cant comment on the 3505, since I've never seen it, I'd stick with the 3575. Seems like the best unit going right now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Be warned HDD recorders are a dying breed, so if you don't get one now, you may never get one, especially not in a unit as nice as this one.
    Just wondering. Why are companies not putting HDD's in these recorders anymore?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good question, doesn't seem anyone knows for sure. Some say due to there cost, they never really sold well in the US.
    Some say it's the pathetic value of our dollar, which would increase the price even more.
    Some say most people would rather get the HDD that you can get with satellite/cable providers.
    I don't really know. I just know the 3575 seems to be about the only good alternative for a OTA person, oh and I guess it works well with "in the clear" cable channels, can't say personally since I'm only OTA.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It works well with QAM, yes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I "googled" QAM and now my head hurts. <g>

The firmware version of the 3575H is the latest. I like when an company issues updates.

I assume the USB input and firewire is only for input?

Has anyone tried the region code posted for the Philips here? Does it work? I have several DVD's that I've brought back from the UK. If not, I still have my Apex AD 1500 which will play a slice of bread. <g>

UPDATE: Dish Network cannot get a signal to my house so local channels are out. I have DirecTV but they can't give me locals either. So I'm more than happy to have my Philips with a hard drive and digital tuner. Clean picture and Tivo like feature. Woot! (I'll sleep in bed with a snake before I get local cable.) <g>
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    QAM = in-the-clear cable channel tuning.
    DV is input.
    Region code?
    Charter cable gives me better service/quality/price than satellite.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Region code?
    I found that link here.

Region code hack posted by CALPE, December 21 2007:
    1. Turn on the player from the front panel (without a disc inserted)
    2. Press HDD List on remote and ensure Hard Disk is highlighted
    3. Press PLAY
    4. Enter 159 121 212 005 255
    5. Press PLAY
    6. Turn the player off

Anyone done this? Did it work?

Oh. Having cable's is good! Except where I live our local company has a monopoly so we can't get a choice of companies or packages.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Philips DVDR3575H and neither of the posted hacks work with mine. If anyone has had success please post the details. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Be careful w/hacks for the 3575. I tried one that started with 008xxx os similar (don't even wnat to repeat it if I remembered). It twicked the pic and made it one long 1" strip on screen. Luckily, real pic came backl after awhile, but panic-city for a time there!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just received my Philips DVDR3575H. Here is my issue and maybe someone can help me out. I have loaded footage to the HDD from my camcorder. I want to edit the footage before I burn to DVD. When I am editing, I perform my "start" and "end" marks to take out what I do not want. When I preview it back or watch it after my edit, THE PICTURE WILL FREEZE FOR A SECOND BEFORE IT GOES TO THE NEXT SCENE. It occurs right before the edit (what I took out). Scene freezes for a second and then goes to next scene. I feel it should go right to the next scene without the frame freezing. Has anyone experienced this who has this unit? Please let me know if there is a fix before I return it and go back to editing on my computer - which involves rendering Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I assume you mean it freezes slightly on playback? That's normal for consumer recorders. We're interrupting the carefully created MPEG-2 stream at the cut point and it takes a sec or two for it to render the disrupted cut-point.

If you always do high-speed dubs, the edit points will be smooth but have that slight delay. If you do a real-time dub, the cut point will be an odd freeze-black-freeze frame on playback.

It's not model-specific, just the nature of our consumer DVDRs and their MPEG-2 encoding system.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I personally have not edited camcorder footage, but I have deleted commercials off of the HDD and get a smooth transition. No freezing on my 3575...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will try to record a TV broadcast and see how it acts on the edits. Do you think there will be anything that would differentiate a home move from a TV broadcast? Thanks for the replies..
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only thing I could think of is, your probably coming in the DVI port? and TV would be coming in through the tuner. Not sure why it would matter though. I was also thinking, most of the time I edit out commercials, I try to do so, during the black part, before and after the commercials. A slight pause would be less visible during those points. I'll experiment with editing during live action, to check for any pauses there. Maybe it does pause, and I've just never noticed it. I'll let you know what I find out.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wabjxo, thanks for the tip on the code. The Philips has been through a few firmware updates. Perhaps this disabled a code that previously was effective?

pakawufs, I get a smooth edit on my 3575H too, but I usually edit at the black sections.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wabjxo, - will the pause in the playback still be there when it is burnt to DVD? Just curious. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, there'll still be a pause, but I think it's slightly shorter after HS dub... not sure. At least it's "smooth!"

My Pio 531 and 640 both had the same pause, maybe slightly longer, tho? I hear all brand owners with the same comment/complaint.

On my Pio 640 edits, I can watch the frame counter as it comes to an edit point, and it pauses just before the I-frame at the edit-entry point, then jumps to the I-frame! Frame advance can't even catch all frames at that point... it jumps 2 frames at the edit point and you have to back up 1 frame to see what it skipped over
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pakawufs, Yes I do get a slight(less that 1/2? second)pause before the part I edited out. There is no pause on the other end of the edit.
    I guess I really never noticed it before, because I always did the edit during the blank screen right before and after a commercial. I suppose it could be annoying if you didnt have a blank part to do the cut it.
    My guess is, to get a perfect edit, you'd have to use a computer. I think standalone devices are only going to get close. But it sure beats the rainbow effect on my old VHS VCR's. The ones without flying erase heads.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the response. This is the only thing that bugs me about this unit. I was hoping I could just load my home movies into the HDD and then edit them down to burn. I have to decide if I can live with that "freezing" of the screen. This would have been much quicker than loading the footage into my computer "editing it" then exporting it back out. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open. What I would really like to do is just run all my home movies off a hard drive on my TV. Have a menu where I could pick the category (year, holiday, person. etc..) Grab the video I want on the fly just like I was picking it as a file on my computer. If anyone has a suggestion on how I could get set up on that I am open. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you done a HS dub of one of your edited home movies and seen how the delay looks on the final DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just did a HS dub and I get the same thing. I also notice that it is creating a new chapter on every edit cut. I just called Phillips and they said that the picture freeze will be there on the preview, but should not be there on the DVD once it is burnt. I'm hoping I just have a bad unit. I'm going to try to exchange it and see what I get with a new one. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll be interested in how your new 3575 works. But as noted I get the same freeze effect on mine, less than the second you said, but I doubt that a new one will work any differently. But if it's a make or break thing for you, I guess it's worth a try.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You won't be able to get rid of the slight pause and each scene delete creates a new chapter mark there, which you can delete if you don't want them there.

Custom-created chapter marks (from editing or manual insertion) are retained in a HS dub but not in a RT dub, which reverts to your auto-chapter setting. However, RT-dub edit points are ugly on playback (odd black-frezze-black frame sequence).
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So you are saying that the slight pause is there on the burnt DVD also? Phillips says it shouldn't be there..
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, IF you can get a HS-dubbed, Scene-Deleted title to play back without any delays at edit points, let everyone know so we know it really is possible!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've come to the conclusion that it is what it is. I've decided to keep it and just do my edits on the computer then burn them on my 3575. I would like to know what media is the best for this unit? What has everyone had success with? I'm using verbatim dvd-r 16x printable. I want to be able to give my DVDs to others to view on their players. I would also like them printable. Please let me know what has worked best for you all. Thanks..
    Quote Quote